Saturday, February 11, 2006

Dangers of Multi-tasking

I tried to make an entry tonight, had copied pictures, and credits for the pictures to represent what I was doing, and typing in my text to tell how I was multi-tasking. As I moved about from window to window, closing one out and opening another, I did something that was the equivalent of knocking the plug out of the socket while you're on the 20th page of your story, and you haven't saved any of it...

I closed out the window that had my Add An Entry window. I looked everywhere for it, to see if I could somehow "go back" to it.

But it would not be found. It was gone... I had not saved it because I didn't want to save it until it was completed. So much for multi-tasking.

This was certainly one of those entries I should have first typed onto the word processor. Had I done that, I could have saved it after every paragraph, then when it was done, copied it into my journal... alas, I did not do the smart thing.

Ah, me. I learned a valuable lesson here. Took me over an hour to get that entry together. You would have been proud of the pictures I had found. It will take too long to do it all over again, so here's the short, unillustrated version.

Tonight I've groomed my dogs, watched the Olympics downhill skiing, women's moguls, figure skating, and intermittently parts of the movie Dangerous Beauty. And made a journal entry.

What I had wanted to tell you then, and what I will tell you now, is that in the movie I saw someone I did not expect to see. He had a small but significant part, and I was so sure it was him that I did a web search on his name, and sure enough, he had made that movie. Jake Weber. Know him? I really like him. He plays the handsome and loving, if not always understanding, but generally supportive, husband of Allison Dubois, on Medium.

In the movie, he portrayed King Henry in a very intimate relationship with this respectable courtesan, Veronica, played by Catherine McCormack (from Braveheart). Next time the movie comes on, I'll watch it all the way through. 16th century costumes, setting in Venice, very Shakespearean look to it all. My kind of movie.

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate when that happens!  I have written nice, long, well thought out entries, and then clicked on the wrong thing, and lost the whole entry!  Ohh..that is so frustrating!  

Jackie

Anonymous said...

so frustrating to lose entries; oftentimes happens to me when I really want to write about something very relevant so I struggle to do it again. I enjoyed watching the Olympics tonight; I was inspired by the Chinese figure skating team that the guy had an Achilles tendon rupture and was able to come back to compete; that was awesome

betty

Anonymous said...

These days my version of multi-tasking is having something next to me to drink while I'm journaling.  I don't even do that well.  I occasionally spill my drink on the keyboard.

Anonymous said...

Oh me........... been there... done that!!! Now I do mine in word and save it and then copy it!!! Yep a lesson learned!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

Bea did you email Journal Editor ?
i hope it is better now ! God Bless
nat

Anonymous said...

I had that happen to me once ... now I type everything in Word and copy/paste into my journal entry.  The frustration of working so hard on something and then having it disappear was too much for my simple brain, although I do love to multi-task from time to time.  I just don't do it on the computer, the computer has a way of getting even.  LOL  Pennie

Anonymous said...

I learned that lesson the hard way too!
Lori