Sunday, February 5, 2006

Headaches

Been so busy this week. Haven't had much I could journal about.

Headache came on beginning last night, and continues today. Tried to take a nap this afternoon to sleep it off. No improvement, though. They come and go, and when they come, I take OC meds. Sometimes they help, sometimes not.

They're migraines. I had sought medical help for them years ago. I have tried prescription drugs, but side effects are not pleasant either. So I bear with the headache. I just tell my students not to talk too loud, to be nice to me because I have a headache. They can usually tell by looking at my eyes, and they try to be good when I explain that I have a head ache.

Before I started working as a teacher, whenever I had a migraine, I would spend the majority of the day in bed, in the dark, taking Rx. The Rx helped, but like I said, there were side effects that worried me more than the headache did. So, with my doctor's advice to support me, I turned to the OC meds, and use them only as needed: Tylenol, Advil, Excedrin. Not all at once, but one week I may try one, and the next month, the other. If I still have the headache after two days, I may switch to one of the others. And I just mostly bear with it. Until it goes away.

So, when they come, I still have to get the important stuff done, like school work. I've gotten the bulk of my planning for next week done this afternoon and this evening despite the ongoing point of pain behind my right eye.

Which means I'm going to do as little reading and writing as I can get away with for the rest of the night, until the head ache goes away. That could be by morning, or it could be two or three days away. I never know for how long they will last.

Others bear far worst pains and aches than I. I can walk up and down the stairs, and I can drive my car. I have my eyesight, and I can speak. I can eat most anything I want without serious disturbances, and I can walk at various rates of speed, including a brief stint of jogging if I have to. I have hair, although it is gray, and all my body parts still function normally... if a headache is all I have to deal with from time to time, I am not going to complain any more than today's entry!

Even today is a blessed day, headache and all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that your students "try to be good."  Feel better! - Karen

Anonymous said...

Headaches and migraines are the story of my life.  Have had them since I was a kid.  I have tried OC stuff and none of that works. The prescription stuff does sometimes have side effects but to me it is better than the head pain. The one with the least effects for me is Maxalt. Have you tried that one?  I even used to give myself Imitrex injections for a while...ouch! Got tired of that and switch to tablets. Good luck, I know how horrible they can be.

Anonymous said...

I've had migraines since I was six.  I sympathize.  One of my sisters is a teacher and has migraines, too, and does the same thing -- tells the kids she has a bad headache and they try to be good!
Lori

Anonymous said...

the doctors I type for recommend as migraine prophylaxis vitamin B and magnesium. Might want to ask your doctor about those. Sorry for the headaches; so much pain associated with them

betty

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
((9Bea)))) Get Well Soon!
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Hey!  It's okay to complain once in a while, Bea!  It's obvious to all who read you, that you aren't a chronic complainer and are ever grateful for your good health.  Migraines/headaches are not fun, and can be quite debilitating, I'm sure.  I've been blessed with a headache free life (only a few in my lifetime), but the few I had were not pleasant.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!  Sending headache free vibes your way!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hope you get feeling better soon, you are such a trooper. Missed you last nite but I understand. Carol, Ray, John, and Beth came. Clark and Mark G. brought their sweet girlfriends. They are really fortunate. They both are dating special young ladies. We even had drop in's from Morgan H. and Kelly L.
Love
Alyson