Sunday, February 12, 2006

Hit Counter Removal

Well, I got tired of looking at my incorrect hit counter. It leaves a false impression, saying I have had 64 hits since the creation of this journal in Aug of 2005. Bah! More like 2000.

Call it vanity, but I delighted in the hit counter showing me, over time, that I had so many visitors. Oh, I know some of those hits were my entries, but not 2000 of them!

This week, my counter would have clicked the number 2000 +, but some technical thing going on within these journal populations caused it to disappear. Then it started back at 00001. I know that Joe wrote an entry about how to get the numbers back, but now I can't find that entry, and I don't want to spend the next hour or two reading all the entries looking for it.

So if you know which entry it is because you have had to do the same thing for your journal, please drop me a line. Either leave a comment or send an email! It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!.

Until then, I removed the hit counter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't even bother with AOL hit counter. I took mine off and put one on from a free hit counter site.  

http://www.amazingcounters.com/

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to me so I removed mine to!!! I tried to download another hit counter and put it in the about me section BUT AOL has that space limited!!!!!!!!!! WHY?????????? I do have one on there but I really don't like that one!! Ugh!!!!!!!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/622

I use one from blogpatrol.com. but I noticed this week that it was having problems, too.  Sometimes it refuses to load at all - and wheven it does that, it isn't recording hits either.  Also, it only records one hit per screen name per day.  The AOL one adds a hit every time you reload.

Karen

Anonymous said...

I asked Joe to look inot it for you
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem so I got rid of mine too.  My hits were almost to 9000 and the darn counter went back to 1.  Ticked me off.  Those numbers were important to me too.  I tried downloading one of the hit counters that some of the other JLanders had recommended but AOL always says I have exceeded my 1000 word limit, or whatever.  So, I can't figure out how they get the darn thing in there.   When you find out anything, Bea, will you let me know?  

Thanks
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Mine reset itself yesterday. I dumped it. I liked that I was over 6,200 but then you know, I thought it was a bit vain. Now I'm writing for me; who cares how many hits I get.

betty

Anonymous said...

Mine did the same thing several months ago.  I got so disgusted with the whole thing I just deleted the counter.  I haven't missed it at all.  I hope that you find out how to get yours back if.  There are people out there that can help you with almost any problem you have in J-Land if you can connect with them.  Good luck!  Pennie