Tuesday, June 27, 2006

John Monday Photo Shoot: Patterns and Textures

Your Monday Photo Shoot: Patterns and Textures
Part of the idea of the Monday Photo Shoot here is to try to look at familiar things in new ways.

Find an interesting pattern or texture somewhere in your home. Take a picture of it.
View larger to see them better.
 
#1-4 In the first four pictures you see the pattern in the wood on our main bathroom door, as seen from inside when the door is closed. In color,and b&W. It was 1982, and we had been living in our house almost a year before I noticed the dark nature of the patterns. I saw hooded figures, faces of wizards, and mischievous, magical dwarves. I chuckled at first when I noticed them, but then I wondered if my 3-year old son would think they were as funny.... I never pointed out the images to him, never told him what I saw. He didn't like sleeping in his own room at the time, so I hadn't wanted to further add to his already active imagination. I was afraid he'd see them as scary monsters, and he'd never want to use that bathroom again. I waited until he was older, and able to understand fantasy to point them out. Still, the wood texture images amuse me even today.
 
#5-7: The curving nature of the leaves on my candle holder inspired the shapes and patterns I would choose to remake the bathroom three years ago. I found the same patterns in two separate places: at Bed, Bath, and Beyond in a sheer shower curtain, and at Sherwin-Williams in a wallpaper pattern. I was so happy to find what I was looking for. Well worth the hours I had put into the search.
 
#8-11:  Mother nature is always just outside my front and back doors. I took the camera with me yesterday for a walk in the woods.Found lots of interesting patterns and textures on the ground, and on the trees. I especially love the cushion of moss growing in the backyard. Up close, the soft carpet of green-ness looks like a community of tight and tiny ferns.
 
 
 
If you wish to participate in the Monday Photo Shoot, please come back and leave your link in my comment section, and leave one at John's journal as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a metal headboard when I was a kid with fake woodgrain patterns in it.  Endless fun.  But my favorite shot here, by far, is the mushroom!

Anonymous said...

Personally Bea, I like your fungi pictures very much.