The Poem
If I were a poemI think I’d be
Jiggly as jello
And tepid as tea.
I’d pounce like a panther
And squeak like a mouse.
If I were a poem
I’d creak in my house.
I’d make you laugh
Or bring you to tears.
If I were a poem
I’d calm your fears.
But, …
I am a poem
Planting through deeds,
Words that rhyme
When someone else reads,
Words that move
And words that change,
Words so familiar and
Words so strange.
There is a way
That you can be,
Metaphorically speaking,
A poem like me.
For you are the words
That someone else reads.
Your life is a poem -
Go plant good deeds!
I wrote the above poem this week for my fifth grade reading class. We've been studying poems, in particular the use of similes and metaphors. In my writing class, they are learning the proper way to write a friendly letter. Seems kids don't write letters these days, and not one of my students has ever received a letter from family or friend that they can recall.
For our poem lessons, I had copied several funny poems from Kenn Nesbitt's website, Poetry4Kids.com. After reading them and finding the concepts I needed to teach, I wrote my own. Haven't shown it to them yet. I had made copies of his poems (permission from author granted), and put them on the overhead projector. The kids laughed at them, thought they were very clever.
I had asked them to pick one or two poems they liked, which they did with no trouble. Coming up with reasons for liking the poems was a bit of a struggle, though. Most of them managed to think of 3 reasons they appreciated their chosen poem. The last part of the task was to write a letter to Mr. Nesbitt telling him which poem they liked best, and why they enjoyed it so much. Their letters were supposed to be completed by today, but it seems the final copies won't be finished until Monday. I'm going to mail them off after the kids address the envelopes.
I know Mr. Nesbitt will enjoy the letters... he has a fine sense of humor!
I need a collection of poems suitable for 3rd-5th graders. In fifth grade, students need to be able to identify the mood of the poem, the narrator, rhyme pattern, and any figures of speech such as simile, metaphor, idiom, onomatopoeia, alliteration, and personification.
I know many of you like to write poems. If you are up to it, whether they be funny or somber, reflective or trivial, would you share them with me?
Either write one in your journal and link here, or email them to me. I will give you credit and include your name on the poem, of course, and I would need your permission to copy it for classroom use only.
If you are going to do this, I thank you in advance!


8 comments:
I have one that I wrote a long time ago called Practice Makes Perfect. I'll find it and send it to you. Love, Shelly
Loved your poem. Funny that you should post this. I have been writing a poem. Now I will just HAVE to post it!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Short but sweet...I've posted my poem for you!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Bea, I LOVE your poem! Very cleverly written!!! You've inspired me!Thank you!
I also find it sad that the art of letter writing is a dying art (or dead already :-) My own children LOVE receiving cards in the post!Take care, Shauneen
I enjoyed this..you may just have inspired me to give it a go..writing a poem that is... ;-)
Lyn
I loved your poem! I don't know if I have anything that you could use, but my sister Barbara has written lots of things that would be perfect. I'd have to get her permission first for you to use them, though. I checked out Nesbitt's web site, and I really liked it. I'll have to use that with Eler Beth.
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages
Who am I?
I am swift
on a horse
I am wary
of dangers
I look for
a criminal
Better not
cross me!
Which bird am I?
my tummy
is red
I have a
brown head
and birdwatchers
love me!
I fly
over the sea
with great speed
and ease
I like carrying
fish
and swinging
in the breeze
I have
webbed feet
and a long
yellow beak
Who am I?
I'm devoted
to students
and friends
as well...
And I'll turn Heaven
and the Earth over
To show students
how things work
(it's you Bea!)
What animal?
I hop
and I stroll
and I can really speed
I carry
my young
and all that
I need!
love,nat
Thanks for the poem comment, Nat!!! A poem and a game, all in one. You made me smile today.... <grin> love, bea
Post a Comment