Sunday, May 6, 2007

Isn't it lovely?

                                    And notice how transparent the wings are!

         

And here is what the big net looks like in my classroom. This is what I found today when I went into my classroom to plan for the week. All have emerged except the one, the late bloomer, which is still hanging from the top of the net/habitat. (And yes, Shauneen and Caroline, that is my National Geographic map of Africa, which I always keep on my wall in honor of my friends from South Africa.)

                                                 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sug

Anonymous said...

It's absolutely gorgeous!  Do you find yourself feeling a bit like a butterfly mom?
I would hate to let them go for fear of what might happen to them!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

WoW!  Just wow!  It's beautiful
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Yes It is absolutly beautiful.Gorgeous colour too.WOW!! Thankyou for sharing.Take Care God Bless Kath
Astoriasand http://journals.aolco.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

How gorgeous, Bea!  I have some in my classroom too, but they haven't hatched yet!  We have both butterflies and moths - we're excited to see what each look like. Hopefully, they'll come out this week!  I'll take some pics too!  Love Caroline

Anonymous said...

These are the best photos I have ever seen of a butterfly.   I so love the transparency of their wings.  I had no idea this was so.  They never seem to hang around on a flower long enough to look for this phenomenon.  I have learnt more from you again Bea.  How wonderful!  Many thanks.
Jeanie  

Anonymous said...

those pictures are just beauitul. Thanks for sharing them.

Anonymous said...

Great pics. B. x

Anonymous said...

One day i saw an ugly grub like thing on the grass.  I picked it up and sat it on my finger.  It had two tiny stubby wing things.  Over the next few hours the wings grew and filled out whilst all the time sitting on my warm finger.  The ugly bug turned into a beautiful moth and i felt privelleged to have been a witness to it.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

Really is beautiful!  Ever wonder.  God didn't have to make everything with so much beauty.  He could have went totally for function.  I think the  beauty is His gift to us.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Bea, the photos are lovely and, yes, the butterfly is gorgeous!  HUGS  Chris

Anonymous said...

You can say you raised them from just a baby.  Great pictures!

Greg

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful pictures!  Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Awesome Pictures! (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Butterflies...   They are so beautiful... the birds of the insect family.. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Bea for the next in the series photos :-) GORGEOUS!!
PS I DID notice the African map :-) TKS!!!!!!! Your SA buddy

Anonymous said...

I never had much success with caterpillars when I was a kid. I didn't have enough patience and also I had a cat with a habit of eating anything that moved.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

Fabulous photos!!! I've got to learn how to post photos one day. Carlene sent me directions over Spring break, but I still haven't gotten around to playing with it. Hey...don't forget to reread "Leo the Late Bloomer" now! ;-)
hugs, sher (wunzuponatime)

Anonymous said...

I feel I know so much about the Painted Lady Butterfly that the final adult has much more significance.     Children today are aware of countries like Africa and how the people live on a day to day basis, which increases their understanding of the global community.     What effects one nation effects all the rest in the world.    mark

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure that butterfly was
common in the Australia of my youth.
I wondered why looking just now
gave me a nostalgic quiver.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Bea! Thank you so much! (((Bea))))
you inspire us so much!
nat

Anonymous said...

You are such a natural teacher. This was wonderful!
Patrick