I went to school this morning wearing my knee-hi's and shoes, and came back with this:
How, you might ask, did this turn of events come around?
I went to the Podiatrist this afternoon, just before school dismissed. I have never visited a Podiatrist before, but alas, my own family doctor recommended it a couple of months ago.
He gave me three options: 1. three months of Lamisil (it's very expensive, insurance won't cover it, may tax the liver, takes a year for the new nail to grow back);
2. File the entire nail down real thin, then apply some high end topical treatment to kill the fungus every day. It's an aggressive treatment. Works 50% of the time. Will take a year for new healthy nail growth.
3. Remove the toenail (what?). When the nail bed heals, apply expensive topical treatment every day as new nail grows back, and within a year, I will have a new healthy nail.
The least expensive, with best results, and least impact on my body's major organs was to opt for the latter. And the good doctor said he could do it right there and then. At 3:30 this afternoon. I asked if he could do it this coming Friday afternoon, you know, give me the weekend to get my foot back into a regular shoe for school. He checked his calendar, but no go... he was filled with podiatrical appointments all the day long.
So I made an executive decision all by myself, and said, "Take the toenail." But only after I drilled him on the after effects, like "how much pain will this be?" and "I have to be on my feet all day tomorrow (EOG testing, you know), so will I be in pain tomorrow?" and finally, most importantly, "I want to sleep tonight.. I don't want any pain waking me up at 3:00 a.m."
I do not deal easily with pain in my mouth, or pain in my feet. I had imagined the pain of a removed toenail could be throbbing, like a bad tooth-ache. Shuddder!
He assured me that the only pain I'd feel was the needle stick when he injected the local anesthetic into my toe (I'm good with that). He dismissed my concerns for tomorrow, saying that Tylenol would take care of any pain I would encounter during the day. Finally, he promised to prescribe Vicodin for any pain I might experience during the night.
So he numbed up the toe. He was right. I only felt three needle sticks. I took a peek at one point to see what he was doing, but just watching him manipulate the poiny silvery thing around the edges of my nail made me look away. I didn't want to see what he was doing. I turned my thoughts to other things, like how nice my toes would look this summer... no more thick, white, disgusting appendage at the end of my delicate little feet.
Yeah, so if you ever injure your toenail, be warned. It happened to me, it can happen to you. If you see a split or crack in your toenail, don't just ignore it. Such a minor appearing injury can let in the grungy fungus. I have no idea where I picked it up at.
My guess is the shower stall in the dormitory room two summers ago at a well-known university in a small mountain town of NC. I had spent many hours of the day wading in water, and then hiking in wet shoes that week... possibly that helped maintain the kind of environment fungus grunge likes to live in. I should have taken better care of my feet, but I didn't even think about it... was having too much fun learning about macroinvertebrates
and learning about The Lorax, and how to save our environment (beginning with educating our children).
I had taken a picture of the Lorax portrait here that was painted on the office wall of one of the Pisgah Institute's professors. I don't know who the artist is.
Supposedly, my toenail will be well enough in two weeks to begin painting on the medicine that will prevent the fungus from returning as the new nail grows back. But for this summer, I will only have nine toenails.
When it grows back, I will show you my new healthy toe nail!!! (Like anyone is interested).
So I'm off to elevate my foot for the next twelve hours. Not much pain at the moment, just a minor throb to let me know I better not overdo it or I will pay for it later.
Sure hope I made the right decision. I wonder how my students will react. I hope no one gets clumsy and steps on my toe tomorrow!!! I'm thinking I'll be wearing a special shoe, the one they let me wear home today.
Wish me luck.
PS I apologize for the enormosity of the foot photo, but I could not edit it to a medium small size. The new aol picture tool allows us to select a size (small, medium, large, original... I think these are the choices). Small is way too small, like you would add to your sidebar-small. Medium is what I selected, but that is way too large for this particular shot. So I thought, no problem. After I get the picture I can just manipulate the corners using the mouse and make it smaller. After I made it to the size of my liking, I saved it so. However, the size I made it does not translate onto my page. It has remained 'medium'. I've got to find out how to reduce and enlarge beyond the standard, preset sizes that aol pictures has created for us.




17 comments:
Fungus infections are very difficult to tackle, Bea. Good luck!
I'm with you on the pain on your foot. I just can't deal with it, and will do whatever I can to avoid it.
Greg
Yeegh. Alarming stuff, but you probably made the right choice.
Ouch! Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to be very careful with my own toenails! I did find this very interesting though and I think I learned something new! but then, I always learn something new with each writing you post! Thanks!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Good Morning, Well I sure hope that you had a sleep last night. I was HORRIFIED at the thought of them taking your toe nail off there and then !! Over here you would have to go to hospital to have that done. I bet you will be very aware of your tow for next few weeks !! Good luck to all your students sitting their exams. Love Sybilsybil45
Take a stick to school with you, not to help you walk, but to ward off any children who might get too close. ;O)
Hope your toe's better soon. B. x
You made a heroic decision. Congratulations.
Thank heavens Doc didn't offer toe removal as
an option. Think what that'd have done to your
running form. I've used Lamisil. It worked just fine
but it did take time (months) to be effective. I fear slowly
onrushing diminution of circulation of blood to my
feet. With that in mind I've upped distances swum
and emphasize kicking for every stroke, and force
myself to use a kick board for at least a few laps.
Twice recently my blood pressure, taken two hours
after swimming, was 108/61 resting pulse in the low
80's. Each swim 2,000 meters. I'll admit I do 'cheat'
when I take my blood pressure in as much as I
determinably relax everything using acting class
relaxation, concentration, with self-observation,
testing. (I was tickled to read that Marlon Brando
could impinge on his heart rate and so on, through
practiced self-observation.) These days I sure do
toss out too-tight shoes, and wear thong sandals
(the thing between big and second toe) often, somethng
easier to do in CA than in many other places I guess.
Wander happily with your soon-to-be new toe nail!
Barry
SORRY I HAVN'T BEEN BY FOR A WHILE I AM TRYING TO CATCH UP ON MANY ALERTSI HAVE MISSED RECENTLY DUE TO OTHER THINGS.OH!DEAR WHAT A NASTY THING THAT FUNGUS IS.MY FRIEND GOT IT ONE YR TOO.SHE WAS TOLD IT WAS WITH HAVING HER FEET COVERED FOR FAR TOO MANY HOURS A DAY.SHE IS THE MANAGERESS AND FISH FRYER OF A LOCAL RESTERAUNT.O SHE STANDS ALL DAY LONG AND IN NOT VERY NICE FOOTWEAR AT ALL.BUT SHE HAS TO WEAR THIS KIND OF FOOTWEAR FOR THE WET ALL AROUND HER ON THE FLOOR FROM THE POTATOE BINS CHIPS BINS WHICH SPILL OVER AT TIMES AND NONE SLIP FOOTWEAR IT IS TOO AS IN WELLINTONS.ETC...HERS HAS NOW HEALED THANK GOODNESS.I DO HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL FOR YOU.YES I FOUND THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN I TRIED TO DO WHAT YOU DID WITH THE PICS .THEY WILL NOT RE-SIZE.GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.WHOOPS SORRY ABOUT THE BLOCKS I HADN'T REALISED THEY WERE STILL ON (Fool) I AM HAAAAAAA.lOVELY HAPPY PIC OF YOURSELF.HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY TAKE CARE GOD BLESS. KATH
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES
Ugh. How horrible for you. I think I would have gone for the third option, too, though. You were very brave!!
Lori
P.S. I still can't get over how much you look like my sister Dennice, the Speech and Language Pathologist. I'll have to send you a recent picture of her in an email.
It's a lovely picture of your toe and i am sure the new one will be just as nice. You are braver than me i have just bought the lotion from the chemist and will need to put it on once a week for a year. Ugh!
Jenny <><
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jennyp51/stop-the-clock-times-moving-too-/
Poor you!! Hope you don't suffer too much pain...I know how much we teachers stand!!!!
PS The BIG photo has a much more dramatic effect HEEHEE!!!! Love Shauneen
I had my entire middle fingernail removed the same way, because it ripped clear down to the quick and was just hanging there. I never really had much pain once they removed the root of the fingernail. Looked horrible for a long time, till the nice, baby new nail grew in.
Hope the kids didn't step on it today, Bea!
Hugs
Jackie
Ouch, I'm constantly running and on my feet. The only way I could ever have anything done to my toes or feet would be to literally tie me down LOL. Wishing you a quick recovery and a beautiful new toenail. (Hugs) Indigo
I concur with Shauneen, the large picture of your foot has much more drama and I believe in drama! Okay, how much pain did you really experience? I need to take similar steps but I'm a big coward and dread the pain. Does it still hurt? I'm such a hypochondriac; I'm having sympathy pains in my bg toe!--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind
Hi Bea,
Funny enough I had the exact same treatment on both of my big toes about 10 years ago. Exactly the same procedure. I did fine, not complications and to this day both of my big toes look great! But the injections to numb my toes HURT....LOL. Maybe I'm just a baby. I didn't wear the "boot", I just wore shoes that were freindly to my procedure until it healed. You will be amazed at how quickly it all heals.
Good luck to you and take good care of yourself. And I'm sorry it's been so long since I have paid you a visit :)
Huggers,
Gayla
Gee Bea.... I am really really sorry..get well soon...
can youg et about wihtout hitting the injured part? love you,nat
LOL..Bea, not funny but it wasn't a graphic shot and was a large shot so my sorry old eyes had no problems focusing. I had a fungus years ago and the toenail fell off itself. It cleared up with topical medicine, and the nail grew back as good or better than new. Chris (sorry I'm so far behind. I just got my alerts back this morning.)
Post a Comment