Dad. My Dad. Remembering him on Father's Day.
Sometimes you can never figure a person out. You get to know your father when you grow up in his presence. Then you leave home, and begin to see that he has a life apart from yours, and you are okay with that. In fact, more than okay, you are glad that your life is apart from his because you disagree so much with how he chooses to live.
But years later, when you are even older, say in your forties, you understand something else about your father: you understand that he doesn't have to fit your image of a father, just as you don't have to fit his image of a daughter. You also learn that he has always adored you, that you are his oldest daughter, his #1 child, and nothing will ever change that status.
My Dad was a military man. He joined the Air Force at a very young age, and from what I understand about his early years with my mother, my dad joined the military to make a better life for himself and his family. Looking back at all that my dad did with his life, I know that that one single event, joining the Air Force, indeed changed the course of his life. For the better.
I adored my Air Force dad. He was so handsome in his uniform. The image of my dad standing tall in his blues forever branded me to love men in uniform. And so it was no surprise that the man I married was also an Air Force man. Stationed at the same AirBase as my dad. My brothers also joined the military. I have a photo somewhere of all four of my brothers in their military uniforms, joined by our proud father in his uniform.
It wasn't without its sacrifices. My dad had to move from Air Base to AirBase, around the country, across the ocean twice. Always taking his family with him. My mother followed him around the world, her seven children in tow. I was a kid all those years, and from a kid's perspective, it was fun and exciting to move about from one part of the country to another, from one country to another. My dad's commitment to the Air Force, renlisting as he did to stay in each time he came up for discharge, gave his children the opportunity to travel around the world, to learn new languages, to meet people with different views about the world. It was a super field trip one would never get in a regular classroom
Not only that, but when a young man joins the military, he is given health care, and his family is given health care. Because of this, we were always taken care of in the matters of health. I can only imagine what we would have lacked had my dad not joined the military. I don't think I'd ever have made it to NC if we had stayed in Connecticut to live out our lives. Our family story would be oh so different had our dad not taken the initiative to run off and join the Air Force. I thank him always for doing that one thing.
My dad never earned high rank. Just before he retired from the Air Force, I remember he was promoted to Staff Sergeant. I can't imagine how difficult it was for him and my mother to raise their seven kids on the pay of an Airman First Class. I was in college by the time he retired.
But raise us they did, and my mother worked as long as I can remember to supplement the family income.
There we are, all nine of us in a photo that had to have been taken in 1995 or 96. Dad and mom in the middle on the left. It was the last time all of us would be photographed together. Since then, two of us are gone, my father and my baby sister. She's the one on the bottom left. We still grieve for her untimely death, and that of her daughter.
Dads are supposed to die eventually, and ours did. He was in his late 60's and a strong fighter. He'd had a stroke and triple by-pass surgery about ten years prior to his accident that broke his neck. In his last years, he suffered a great deal, and we could do nothing to ease his pain. Mostly it was emotional pain, but he tried to keep that from us. He shared bits and pieces with us from time to time, but my dad was holding back a lot about his own childhood that he didn't want us to know.
So, I want to say this to my dad: "I love you so much. I miss you so much. I wish you could be here one more day so I could kiss you one more time, to kiss the top of your head, my favorite place where you had lost all your hair. I want to touch that face one more time, hug your neck one more time, Dad, because in the end, there is no other dad for me like you.
I would call you today if I could, all the way from NC to Ga because that is what I always did on Father's Day, and I would hear your voice answer the phone, "Hello, my daughter!" for those are the words I remember hearing when I called you. No one is going to call me daughter like that again. Others will call me by my birth name, but it won't sound the same as when you say "Beatrice." Those three words, "my daughter" and Beatrice were only spoken by you in the special way you had of saying it. I will never forget the good times we had. Thank you dad for all that you gave. I know it was a great deal more than I ever gave back in return. I love you always and forever."
I know many of you out there have lost your fathers, others of you have fathers who live far away, or who are estranged from the family. For whatever reason, make peace. Call the man who raised you from a child.
I know some people had such horrid experiences with the man who was their father that they cannot be in their presence ever again. I understand. I am so sorry that some children have to grow up without a father, or with a father who is not involved with their growing up, or with a father who would destroy them. I don't know what to say to those who hate their fathers, and I am not going to talk anyone out of their memory, nor their response to that memory.
Daddy is a word saved for the man who fathers us, and who brings us up into adulthood. The word father carries with it a lifetime of images. Each of us carries that image based upon the experiences we have had with our own daddies. If you can take away all the bad memories, hold onto only the good memories, and treasure those, perhaps one can find peace and understanding of her father in this way.
For those who hurt because they felt neglected by their dad: Just try very hard to remember one good thing, and then perhaps another will follow. Your good memories will increase. Look at what a good parent you are now. Your father was a good man, and he spoke kind words, and he raised a fine daughter/son. You know everyone makes mistakes. No one is perfect. Your dad wasn't either. Give him that. It's okay. He loved you anyway. To the end, he loved us all.


16 comments:
A wonderful post! Enjoyed the read.
The pics were great too.
Hope you had a nice day.
Hugs,
Sug
A nice tribute to your father. I never saw a family portrait with so many members looking like they were laughing right out loud. That was an accomplishment in and of itself. Gerry http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/
Very nice post about your father. Thank you.
(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))Wow,what an entry,I loved reading it all,almost made me want to cry.I am sorry that your Dad is gone,but you have so many good memorys of HIm.I love my Dad,I am not as close to Him as my MOm and to be honest,I dont say I love you as much as I should.But I did make Him a picture album and wrote Him a not saying Happy Fathers Day and I loved Him.I wish we were close,but,I do know we both love eachother.thank you for sharing this entry with us and I love your pics.I love pics of old memorys.Have a nice week ahead.
I love that family photo of you all...everyone looked sooooooooo happy!!! I too no longer have my daddy...and I thought he walked on water....took me years just to realize that I could survive without him being here for me...I still miss him...
God bless,
love ya,
carlene
I'm sorry I can't give my father the credit that you can give yours. That's all I'm going to say about that.
This was a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man, Bea.. I'm sure he was as proud to call you daughter as you are to call him Dad..
Hugs
jackie
Special days are tough when the person they celebrate have gone. My dad died 3 years ago and a day still does not go by when I miss him and wish he were still here. Like you, I always feel sad for those whose fathers were not as good as our for whatever reason
Mary
Dear Bea.....What memories I can transport myself through too, if I travel back a long way in time. My father died whilst I was still in my twenties. I am now sixty. It still seems like yesterday whenever I visit to see him through my child's eyes once again, to a time where he hasn't aged one bit. I can still see him animated, organising us for school or work, waking us up an odd time with breakfast in bed , sometimes waking us from a deep sleep to eat it with our eyes still shut from sleep. I see him teaching me how to build a proper fire in the fireplace with sticks and paper so that it catches the draught just right. Helping him to stir the porridge, he's also helping me to read and swim and encouraging me and my siblings to sing around the fireplace on a dark evening. All of us harmonising together. I see him try to cobble our shoes on the old iron last he had. These memories are amongst the many other influences which he instilled in me and which I have used in my adult life. I could list so much more about him that was good but there would not be enough room here. All this and yet he was an alcoholic too with the myriad of problems that entailed. But I still remember the good times more than the bad. You are right, hey are there if we look for them. God Bless All Dads everywhere. Jeanie xx
Bea... I felt bad doing my entry.. for two reasons.. folks who have lost their Dad and those who don't have a relationship with theirs. I did one... I celebrated with him.. and enjoyed every second. I am sorry your Pop isn't here ... but he is in spirit.
hugs
d
Dear Bea - what a wonderful tribute. I cried! My folks called me early yesterday morning to wish my happy birthday, and then I could wish my dad a happy father's day at the same time. It was a wonderful surprise, because I know how expensive it is to phone from over the sea. I was expecting to phone them later. I also realised as I was growing up that my dad wasn't the perfect man that I had idolised all my life - but he was still my father and he loved me! I think I have a deeper bond with him than my mom (but that's a long story!!!). Thank you for sharing about how wonderful your dad was. ~ Caroline ~
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure
Hmmmmm, Bea that sure is a painless,
clever, generous way to get me (and no doubt
many others) to ruminate fathers.
Father's day came and went and I gave not
a thought to my father. I think he deserved more.
I will renew all my memories of him as a result of your
entry. Dad had good luck, and bad luck: good to
brilliant luck to marry my mother, and miserable luck
to have been professionally crippled by the Great
Depression which had little to no use for architects,
and on top of that to be in his prime during WW2,
when again architects could find little work. He
served as a civilian in the US Army Quartermaster Corps
in the Philippines. (He was born on England.)
There's no percentage in not loving both parents no
matter what.
Thanks again, Bea.
Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/
Darn, girl! Thanks for making me cry...and thanks for making me love my dad all the more! Your words painted up wonderful pictures, memories, and love!
mucho hugs, sher
http://journals.aol.com/swferstl/wunzuponatime/
Bea,what a blessing this entry was(clearly to many others as well!)You have a wonderful way with words and I can just imagine how proud your dad was of you...the photos tell a story.I miss my parents often, but was blessed to have a wonderful relationship with them both....too many children suffer because of broken families!!(or emotionally absentee parents) You are a testimony to your Dads' character...and so his memory lives on!Love, Shauneen xxxx
Well, this one made me cry. I've written enough about my dad that I'm sure you know that I still miss him very much (5 years gone). So this really had me going. It was a lovely tribute to him. The picture is just absolutely beautiful. You guys really remind me of my family (also 7 children), really, just the way you are all smiling and looking so joyous to be in one another's company reminds me of my family. I don't think I knew that you had lost your baby sister. I am so sorry. I think when I read that I really started to cry. So far, we have only lost our Dad, but I know that time is coming. I am the youngest, and I have this fear that someday I'll be the only one left. (I've never told anyone that before! Of course, I could be the next, who knows??) I know that having a husband, kids and grandkids would make that easier, but I just couldn't imagine not having someone of that life "core" there for me (my parents and siblings). Thank you for this entry.
Lori
Dearest Bea,
Hey!
what a fabulous tribute to your dad! youare a wonderful writer! thanks for showing us the pictures of your entier family! what joy and love you all must have shared! I am moved Bea!
love,nat
this is a sweet entry. I have so many father issues that I got tired of thinking about it, but what you said is very enlightening. We will all need to be forgiven by our children, no matter how lovingly they were raised, so it would do us good to do some forgiving ourselves.
Love
Marti
Post a Comment