I hinted at change in the last entry... no, that wasn't a hint, that was a definite statement of fact... change was in the air for me, and now I can speak about it openly.
Today I had a formal job interview with my principal and assistant principal for a position I had applied for. The job is mine!
I will be the CSI instructor... but before you go asking how I could be a crime scene investigator at an elementary school, let me explain.
CSI stands for Creative Subject Integration. This is a position integrating math, science, social studies and literature with art. In other words, the CSI instructor finds out what each grade level is teaching each month, then creates art lessons that integrate a particular academic area in that grade level.
The former CSI instructor did a fine job creating lesson plans for each grade level from month to month. She is going to share them with me before she leaves. (I am so grateful! I'm going to pick up where she left off.) For example, fifth graders were learning about Native American Indian culture in one social studies unit. The CSI instructor taught the kids how to make tribal masks from masking tape and foil. And as the kids worked, she told them stories and historical facts, while in the background she played selected tribal drum music. She would bring the history of what they were learning in their social studies classroom into the art project. That's art integrated with social studies.
I am an EC teacher. I have taught reading-writing-math for the past eight years, and now I have an opportunity to teach 600 students art. Not just art for art's sake, but art for learning's sake.
I believe that most kids have some inherent creative talents from the time they are born. Some kids are better observers than others, which is why at some point some kids start to draw and doodle more often than others. They become good copiers, and they win the awe of their peers in elementary school.
Then, I've noticed, that the number of kids drawing and doodling dwindles between middle schooland high school, and by high school, you have a distinct population of kids who do art and kids who don't. My theory is that kids stop drawing somewhere in elementary school because they have heard comments like "What is that?" or "That doesn't look like a monkey, it looks like a horse." or "You can't draw like Mikey can." etc and etc.
Often, kids do find another area to express their creative talents, such as through sports, dance, music, or other clubs where their organizational talents are needed, or where they can apply their math talents. These are all good places for a kid to be.
By the time a kid is in middle school, he pretty much knows if he can draw or not, based on the words of encouragement he's received or the lack of them. When a kid gives up drawing, doodling, sketching, etc, he is giving up more than a chance to be an artist. He is giving up his sense of inner freedom, his confidence, and possibly some part of his innate desire to create.
I'm thinking that as the CSI instructor in my school, I can help reverse that thinking for these kids... as many of them as I can. I want to instill in them a desire to learn the academics through their desire to create with their hands. Using clay, watercolors, tempera, sculpture, paper mache, oil pastels, and various other media and materials, I hope to be a part of opening their eyes, their minds, and their hearts to the joys of discovery, creation, and learning.
I am now on the "Specials" team!!! Specials are classes like computer, library, music, PE, art, LightSpan, Read 180, and Guidance. Those are the ones we have in our school. But instead of art, we have CSI: integration of art with the core academics. For me, it is something new... very new, challenging, and I must say, very exciting!
This summer is going to be a busy one for me. I've got to move into the new classroom, inventory materials and supplies, and plan lessons for the year.
Thank you for your comments and giving your support, and sorry I had to play mysterious for awhile.
Now I'm off to school. I have one more car load to bring home.


19 comments:
How WONDERFUL congradulations, Just reading your enthusiasim for the teaching of the children makes me know how wonderful you will be at it. I wish I could turn back the pages some 50 years or so and perhaps live in the USA near your school then I could knock on your door and say "please miss..teach me " I just know that I could then draw or do some such thing !! Love sybilsybil45
WOW BEA ! That is exciting news! Congratulations!!!! I know you are going to put in the same amount of energy as the "real" CSI put into an investigation LOL :-)I find this so interesting as we have nothing like that in our school! I would LOVE to do what you are going to be doing! I know that your students will be blessed!! I also believe that we are created to be creative and that kids give up because of comments.I learnt early in my career- I commented to a gr 1 "That's a beautiful ant farm" Much to his disgust he replied " That is a bunny family in their burrows underground!" Best to ask " That is a lovely drawing, tell me about it " HEHE -Shauneen
this sounds very exciting!!! I can remember in 2nd grade, when I was doing a sky, and was not finished, I was told that skies do not look the way I was making mine look. I told hte teacher I was not finished and she said that was good because I still had time to start over. I hated art class after that day. and I wonder what she would have said if she had someone like Picasso in her class.
Becky
I am SO excited for you, Bea! You are going to love this because you are so creative and artistic yourself (you would never brag about yourself, but I can because I've seen what you've done!!!). I am going to write a post about my decision so come over and visit when I'm done! ~ Caroline ~
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure
Congratulations! Lead the chldren, they'll
love it! The God given hunger to KNOW within
children too often fails to get exercized. The
scope of your class sounds enormous. Today
at pre-K delivering and picking up my Michael,
I noticed again how children naturally support
each other in a way that adults tend not to.
What a delicious assignment you've been entrusted with!
I know you'll ace it.
Barry
Congratulations! Sounds like a change for the better. Wonderful new adventure ahead of you. I think it's wonderful to integrate art into a learning experience. (Hugs) Indigo
Lordy, girl, I must say when you say you're going to do something new, you go whole-hearted, not half! ha! Congrats & have fun!
I believe the reason, too, that a lot of kids stop drawing is because different learning modalities become more solid. The kids who stay with the arts/drawing, etc are the more visual/kinesthetic vs the kids who are more auditory/visual, etc. Their strengths take them in different directions.
I was surprised you had to interview for the job! That was new to me. We don't have to within the same school...only when we go to a new school.
Well, have fun! Unload that car & start saving up & packing those egg cartons, toilet paper & paper towel rolls! ha! If I were close enough, I'd help ya! We've got enough kids in the family to generate whatever "trash is treasure" supplies you could use! :-)
lots of hugs,
sher p.s....BTW, HAPPY SUMMER FINALLY!!! YIPPEEEEE!!!
((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))Congrats on the job.Have a nice night.
Sounds great! It's something new and interesting for you, and it meshes well with your own considerable artistic skills. Way to go, Bea! - K.
CONGRATULATIONS, BEA!!! Sounds like a wonderful opportunity! I wish you all the best!
Also wishing you a warm and restful summer!
Chelle
Congrats on the new job. Hope it works out well for you. B. x
< "By the time a kid is in middle school, he pretty much knows if he can draw or not, based on the words of encouragement he's received or the lack of them. When a kid gives up drawing, doodling, sketching, etc, he is giving up more than a chance to be an artist. He is giving up his sense of inner freedom, his confidence, and possibly some part of his innate desire to create." >
Bea, the above is terrific! Instantly I want to
put the pensils and crayons back into my children's
hands, even while they sleep! Ha ha. To be candid, I so
much agree with you I have reigned in my annoyance
when the chldren write on the walls. Reams of paper
today are deliciously inexpensive (at Staples in LA) so
I pass out lots and lots of plain paper; the twist out crayons
from Staples are terrific too. I send some of the children's
art work to relatives,, even distant relatives. The children now
draw for this, that and another relative. So I mail a lot of stuff.
Barry
Congratulations! This sounds like such a wonderful position. Before I left teaching back in 1994, some colleagues and I received permission to team teach, an unheard of idea at the time at the high school level! We didn't have a name for it but we tried to use a similar approach to teaching the core subjects--English, Biology, World History, and Geometry--at the 10th grade level. You are the perfect person for this job. Your students are so fortunate. I can hardly wait to hear about the interesting projects that you will work on with them. BTW, glad that you liked the Brooks and DUnn video, somehow I thought that you would. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/
Wow! Sounds like an interesting job assignment! I like the thinking behind it. It's often the types of projects that I would like to do with my students in class, but don't seem to be able to do. Congratulations and happy planning!
Amber
Congratulations, Bea! What a wonderful opportunity for you. I was just also reading your last entry about change and that was something that plagued and stifled me for years. I was terrified to the point of hysterics of change. I had many altering experiences that forced me to deal with it. I know you will take your wonderful enthusiam and teaching skills to this new endeavor. Chris
Congratulations! That sounds so wonderful. That is new to me. I have known art teachers to incorporate their lessons with one specific theme that all the grades are doing (like in Eler Beth's former school, each grade spends a month or so on learning about one country), but I didn't know that such a thing as a CSI instructor existed. I think it's a great idea, and I know you're excited about it. Being able to incorporate art with all the core subjects would have to be very challenging. You are going to have a great year, and I really look forward to hearing about it. I really appreciate your thoughts on art and our children and how things change as they get into middle school. I saw exactly what you describe happen with my son. Thankfully, he found that music and writing are the creative outlets that he prefers and in which he has a lot of success, but I wish he hadn't been discouraged from drawing, because he really did show some aptitude when he was younger. He had friends whose natural talents and abilities were ahead of his, and he let that nudge out his own interest in drawing. Best wishes with this new position!!
Lori
Congrats on the job! Sounds fun and I am sure you will do a terrific job. I wish we had something like that in our district.
Congratulations Bea... I am so happy for you!!
Hugs and love
Jackie
Wow Bea! What acool thing Big Congratualtions Bea..how fascinating!
love,nat
Post a Comment