Every morning he heads for my classroom. He stays with me for about 30-40 minutes. Sometimes he helps me take the chairs down from the desks, or fills the cups with water for one of my classes. Other times, he sharpens pencils, or sets out materials on the student desks for me... and when the 'work' is done, he gets his art folder out and starts working on one of his ongoing pieces. One is a doodle, and one is a soft pastel pumpkin drawing.
But today, I had no work for him to do because I had forgotten he was coming. I was focused on finishing up the last of my progress reports which had to be done by today. When he appeared at my side, he was smiling, hands in his pockets.
I tried to hide that I had forgotten our appointed time together, and told him today I had no work for him to do, which meant he could spend the entire time drawing.
Instead of retrieving his folder, he asked for some paper. "I want to start something new," he explained. "I saw something on my way to school this morning. I want to draw it."
I pulled out a sheet of heavy white paper for him. I regret that I picked the 9X12 size rather than the 12 x 18 size. In my mind I didn't want to waste the larger sized paper on something that might end up in the trash if he didn't like it.
What a big mistake that was.
My mind was really on those progress reports when I handed him the paper. I just wanted to get him his materials, then let him be. I didn't even ask what he was going to draw. Just what did he need to do it?
"I want to use oil pastels," said the 4th grader. "Purple, orange, and black."
Hmmm, I thought, odd colors, but it is near Halloween time. I told him to get the colors he needed, then I sat down at the computer to get my precious progress reports done.... what a nit wit I can be sometime.
Great moments don't always announce themselves with celebratory loudness. Sometimes great moments amble in quietly, with hands in their pockets.
Ahhh me...... <sigh>
About fifteen minutes later I got up to take the completed progress reports to the mail room. I glanced over his shoulder to see what he was doing....

I stopped, completely forgetting all about the progress reports in my hand.
"Is this what you saw on your way to school this morning?" I asked.
"Uh-huh," he answered without even looking up. He was coloring the black furiously, like he was trying to get it done before he had to return to his classroom, or trying to get it done before the image in his mind disappeared.
I recognized that fury in the hand holding the black pastel ... that passion... the drive...
The sunrise had filled his soul. A sunrise that I didn't even see this morning because I had driven to school before the sun rose.
I smiled. How could I not? "Yes... a spectacular sunrise... did you know that many, many artists have been inspired by the early morning sunrise?" He looked up briefly, possibly even politely... I could tell he really wanted to get back to his picture.
"What happened to you this morning, ... do you know what we call that?"
"No, what?"
"Inspiration. You were inspired by the rising sun."
He nodded... "Yeah, the colors were beautiful... it was all orange and purple, and the houses and the power lines were all black."
I smiled, feeling just a little bit of happiness that I was there to share his joy first thing this morning. I knew that feeling in his heart, of wanting to capture an image, to recreate somehow, to keep it soI can see it again and again.
I tell you, for just a second I felt like my job was done in this boy.

I mounted it on black poster board, then showed it to our assistant principal. He walked straight to the boy's classroom. I followed. It was only 8:20 a.m. Mr. C made a big deal about what the student had done.... I held the picture up for thewhole class to see... our young Artist was grinning shyly at his desk, totally surprised by the show of praise and approval. His classmates expressed various words of surprise and delight..."He did that?" seemed to be the most repeated words. "Wow!" "He's good!"
I have a brand new box of oil pastels to give him tomorrow. To take home. This kid has the eyes of an artist.
Just wanted to share that with you all. Knew you would appreciate it. <very big smile!>


24 comments:
How absolutely....speechless...that left me! Don't kick yourself TOO hard. Yes, we sometimes get into that "teacher mode". But how else would he have been able to surprise you with his gift if you'd known ahead of time (grin)???
A moment to treasure...for your book later....
hugs, sher
Perfect drawing, perfect story...perfect little moment in life that makes you have a little hope. I am awed.
Russ
(xxxx)
This was great. Loved the picture. Thanks for sharing.
Take care, Chrissie
I have no words. I am simply moved, what a beautiful sunrise.--Sheria
Brillliantly written Bea, and what a wonderful way to "share" a sunrise...first with you and now with all of us. I loved reading this.
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
How wonderful...A beautiful start to our day. Thanks for sharing as always, Sybil x
Such a great entry, and I'm so glad that you did it. There is a good chance that one day he will look back on this as the moment that a portion of his life was defined. I think it is great what he has done, and oddly enough, I don't recall ever seeing a sunrise drawn before in any medium. This was pretty cool to see.
Greg
He is lucky he has a teacher like you that recognized how important that picture really is. God Bless :)
Marilyn in Miami :)
I had to draw Bryan away from his newspaper to share this moment with him.
What beauty this child saw through his eyes that morning. What a force he will be in the future too when he develops his God given talent.
A wonderful beginning to our day. Thank you for sharing 'The Sunrise' and your little helpers 'gift' with us.
Beautiful! I am beaming a great big smile in your direction.
Hugs
Jeanie xxx
((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))That is nice to have a helper to help you out.HAve a nice Halloween.
That's very well done, Bea. A talented pupil indeed.
Happy Halloween,
Guido
Bea...how beautiful! And I don't just mean the picture either!!! Well done for validating this childs' picture and by doing so, himself as a talented person.we neeed more teachers like you!!Can't wait to "see" this little guys work in the future! Take care...Shauneen
Excellent. It must have been one of those moments that makes your job so worthwhile.
B. x
So nice, so sweet, to be able
to see the actual hands of the
artist as he works on the picture
recognizable from the completed work.
Lovely, engaging evocation of the
impulse to art and the feelings of the artist.
I surmise he picked up a thing or two
while he was helping you with his
classroom chores.
Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/
A gift indeed. How wonderful, Bea. Happy Halloween to you and the school children.
Sincerely, Rose~*
I believe, Bea, because of your acknowledgement, that this child will remember this day..forever.
Gem :-)
http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/collage/entries/2007/11/01/yayy--d/1739
You have a wonderful, wonderful job!
I know you'll be keeping an eye on that boy as he gets older if you are able. What a special kid!
Lori
I needed this!!! thanks for sharing!
Becky
There are too many teachers who would pass up this opportunity because it didn't fit in with their plans for their day. You are a special teacher for recognizing something in this child that most adults wouldn't. It's a beautiful picture.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
Oh, why'd you have to go and make me cry? What a precious little soul. And how fortunate he has a teacher like you! Perhaps a message to Bea in there somewhere? - Barbara
Your teaching gift snowballs because reading this has been the best cup of morning coffee anyone could drink. Thanks!
Patrick
This has my heart bumping and my hands throbbing to touch those colors, to feel that excitement again, the burn to just 'get it out' and onto the paper fast. He has the heart. And it's incredibly good. Thank you for giving him that extra encouragement by buying him his own supplies. As a student, I would have cherished that box forever and still have it. WONDERFUL! Thanks again.
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/
As an art teacher I can appreciate your excitement at finding the talents this boy undoubtedly has. You have opened up a whole new world for him! Well done you. It is such a satisfying job isn't it...teaching especially when you have a little success story like this one! Love Conniexx
My Goodness Bea you are such a sweet person!
you are known as a marvelous educator, I don't deny it, but that big heart of yours is showing by putting that dear child first!
love ,natalie
Post a Comment