I love the Daylight Savings time change in the Fall... not only did I get an extra hour of sleep on Sunday, but look at what I saw driving into the parking lot yesterday morning.
I did not digitally enhance the color. It was about 6:50 a.m. as the early morning sunshine kissed the oak tree behind the playground. Orange leaves burned brilliant red. I lingered before walking into the building.
I learned this week several things.
One, first graders can learnto draw in soft pastel, and be pretty good with the medium. Consider the pumpkin pastel drawings below:
Yes, I did say they were first graders. The hardest part was not teaching them how to apply the pastel, nor how to blend with their finger, nor how to keep their hands off of the paper while they drew. As you can see, they did all of these things very well. They didn't have a problem with not blowing the dust off their paper once I explained to them why we shouldn't blow the dust off, nor wipe it off with their hands like we wipe off pencil erasures. No, they listened and followed all these instructions.
Rather, the difficulty lie in stopping when I said it was time to stop. Truly nothing pleases me more than to see them so involved in their drawing, in moving that color around on their paper, seeing the delight in their eyes as they stared at their pumpkin pictures. But with only minutes to spare before the next class is ready to file in, they need to stop when I say stop! All those chalky papers to pick up and put away, pastels to collect and put away, and more than 17 pairs of hands to clean up before they all line up at the door. For soft pastels, nothing is quicker nor more effective than wet Hand Wipes!
I also learned that 5th graders can draw pretty good with nothing more than a stick and some black tempera paint. The Cave Art drawings are coming along nicely. Yesterday the kids went "hunting"... that's what we called it, but what they really did was select from a pile of cards laying face down. On the cards were pictures of actual cave drawings. They were to copy the animal they 'hunted'. Later they will make up a story explaining how they (the cavemen) came to hunt their prey, and why they painted it on the cave wall. Cave Man Art Gallery coming soon!
I learned that Black Widow Spiders often have more than one red mark on the abdomen. In fact, many Black Widows aren't even black... they aren't black until they reach maturity. When they are young, they are white, they can be mottled grey and brown, they can have red spots across the top of their shiny round body.
The one I saw over the weekend was in my friend's yard. She found it while harvesting her little peanut garden (she's always trying something new. That gal has two green thumbs!) Fortunately it did not bite her. She knows of my interest in bugs, so she saved it for me in a jar. When I visited her Sunday (I was looking for a pumpkin leaf so I could draw a realistic pumpkin leaf for the pumpkin artists), her daughter showed me the shiny black spider.... the biggest I've ever seen. I took a picture of it through the glass. There were two red marks, one on the underbelly, and one near the spinneret.
I enlarged and color enhanced it to make the red spot near the spinneret more visible .
Finally, I learned how peanuts grow, but I'll have to save that story for another day. It's late and I'm off to bed.
It's been a very good day.










13 comments:
I have a Black Widow spider living in the siding by my garage. Somehow I just can't bring myself to kill it or even to move it. There are times I sit and watch it and see how it acts, and what it does. They are quite fascinating, and I've also learned about the young spiders and their color quite recently.
Greg
I hate spiders (venomous or non), but I love when you share your students' artwork! It inspires me.
Russ
What a wonderful teacher you are Bea! I suspect this is because you are also a wonderful learner! Can't wait to hear about the peanuts. By the way that steak would be one inch thick. I don't season until after I grill. Sometimes I marinate them, but mostly I don't! I just like the basic taste of a good steak without anything else in there but a bit of salt and black pepper. I guess that makes me a steak purist, lol. A really good steak needs nothing more.
love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
The wee ones painting are really good. It never fails to amaze me how good they can be. I am not very fond of spiders! thankfully I don't think we have any with red spots !!! HAve a wonderful day.
Love Sybil http;//journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife
I don't do spiders and if I found a black widow one here. we don't have them in England thank goodness, I would certainly pulverise it. Sorry but I would just panic and not want it to disappear where I couldn't see it.
The art work of your first graders is wonderful! You are a true inspiration to them all. I gave Hollie my grandaughter some of my pastels to use last weekend and she had a great time using them. Children are little sponges...aren't they?
Those pumpkins are so three dimentional in the picutres above. Well done to the students!
I sat under a tree in our doctors car park last week and the sun came out lighting it up in a pale gold shimmering light. I wished I had my camera to hand. It felt like being under an umbrella of sunshine.
I enjoyed this visit Bea,
Thank you my friend.
Jeanie xxxx
The young ones did very well there, Bea. I don't mind spiders, but I'm not fond of poisonous creatures.
The pumpkin pictures are beautiful. You have me wanting to draw using soft pastels. I would love to be in your art classes. What a great writing assignment you have generated for the cave art project. You are an extraordinary teacher. Love, Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind
Excellent pictures bea. I'm sure it must help having such an enthusiastic teacher.
B. x
I'm always enlightened when I visit your journal. I love the energy and encouragement with which you teach. These kids are fortunate to have a dedicated teacher like you. Neat spider, learn something new every day. (Hugs) Indigo
In defense of the black widow spider, it did it's best to stay away from me. It tried to hide in the pile of peanut leaves that I had picked. This is my second "close encounter" with a black widow where it could easily have bitten me. But they are very non-aggressive. So the only time I can imagine getting bitten is if you try to pick it up or it is in a shoe. After all we are a whole lot bigger then them. Just imagine how much they fear the big creatures that they have to hide from every day just to survive.
you have so many passions and interests
that spider is wicked looking!
I love seeing the children'sdrawings
really an enjoyable visit with you.
The picture of the playground made me feel that early morning anticipation of miracles before the day is through.
Love
Marti
Those pumpkin drawings are awesome. I can't believe five year olds made them. You are an inspiration to their creativity. LOL...ugh to the black widow. Insects usually don't bother me but that one is scary. Chris
I am so impressed by those pumpkin drawings!
I look forward to the cave art show, too!
Lori
Post a Comment