Friday, May 23, 2008

Chinese script and symmetrical faces

Suddenly, the school year is flying toward the end. Our school system has just completed the End of Grade testing in elementary schools. Today our fifth graders took the Science Test. There were about 80 items on the test... a fifth grade science test.  It's been a tough week for them, but we are all glad it's over.

                                    

One of the third grade classes are learning how to use a bamboo brush. Here they are practicing holding the bamboo brush, and drawing the basic strokes of Chinese characters. Just holding the brush properly was a challenge. The kids tend to hold it the way they hold a pencil. It took a couple of sessions for them to get the hang of holding the brush vertical to the paper.

Once they learned the basic strokes, they began to practice writing their names in Chinese characters. I had found a website that gave me the Chinese version of every name in my classroom... every name including the Hispanic/Latino names. They learned a little piece of history about how the Chinese were the first to invent paper made from wood pulp

                                     

I gave each student a copy of his name in Chinese, and they practiced writing their names using the bamboo brush and a watered down black tempera paint. All in the spirit of becoming more globally aware... the news of that deadly earthquake in the westernpart of China two weeks ago had not reached most of their eight-and nine-year-old ears. It's hard for a kid to imagine over ten thousand people dead and missing. It's hard for an adult to imagine. The kids were very concerned as they have mostly been learning fun things about China. I took a few minutes to update them on the news and that many people were going in to China to help rescue the victims, and help take care of them afterward. The class continued in a more somber note that day.

I do not claim to know how to write Chinese script... I only know what I've learned from a book, but if I ever get the opportunity to learn from a bamboo brush master, I will gladly work hard to learn the strokes.

I think the characters are beautiful, even though I don't know what they mean. The focus of their learning during these brief classes was less how to write Chinese script, and more how to use the tools of art. They've drawn with oil pastels, painted with water colors and tempera. They've drawn in pencil, colored in crayons, and sculpted in clay. Learning that there are different kinds of brushes, and different ways of handling them, is more about solving problems, and developing good eye-hand coordination and fine motor skills, than about being an artist. And being an artist (who solves problems using higher order thinking skills like analysis and application) helps a kid develop the skills he or she needs to learn in any academic area.

So although their attempts to write Chinese script would not impress a calligrapher, one would have to admire the students' focus as they attempted to draw each character in their names, and the variations in line thickness, length, and the control of ink flow from the brush... actually, tempera paint flow... it would have been a disaster to use genuine black ink!       

                            

Now in Second grade, one of our projects has been the Symmetrical Smiles painting. Here, the students learned about warm and cool colors while also using their knowledge of symmetry. They painted the facial features in warm colors, and the background in cool colors. Again, the focus was in learning how to use the brush, and how to apply the necessary amount of water and paint to the paper. Cleaning up was another learning task. Actually, cleaning up is a learning task EVERY DAY!

                                    

Second graders learn in math how to find symmetry in basic shapes, but in doing this painting, they had to draw half of a face on one side of the paper. I showed them how to transfer what they drew on one side of the paper, to the other side. They were totally amazed when they opened up their paper and saw the face in its entirety.

I have to admit that each day they start or continue a painting, I am not always buzzing busily about the classroom making sure that each child is doing exactly what I showed or told them to do. No, sometimes I'm just standing there watching them. I see their faces and hear their remarks when they have noticed something about the experience, something new. Sometimes I hear a kid say "I made a mistake!" and I go to his desk and tell him that we don't make mistakes... we change our minds.

Other times I hear a kid say "Wow! Look what I did!" or even better, one student saying to another, "Wow! Look at what you did!"

I am thrilled that I'm going to be doing this again next year! I'm already putting together a notebook of ideas for new lesson plans ... and I have all summer to think about it.

 

 

                                       

Tag by Donna (Nightmaremom)... Thanks,Donna!

If you have never visited Donna's site, and you want to know about how to get these kinds of cool tags for your journal, just click on her link... she puts new ones in her journal every day. She made this for me last month when my 1st graders were painting their kite flying paintings.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your art classes and lessons, Bea. It makes me wish I were there!

Teaching Chinese characters is a wonderful idea. Amazing to think that what is script to them looks like an art form to us. I wonder if they find our writing as beautiful? (Probably not.)

Enjoy your weekend!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Your art students are so lucky to have you Bea.  You teach such interesting lessons on such a wide variety of techniques.  I think it's quite wonderful and wish I had had an art teacher like you when I was at school.  Amazing that it is the end of the year already.  It seems like just a little while ago you were worrying about how the year with the new teaching job would go and here we are at the end of that year and it has been a great success just like I knew it would be!  Well done Bea!
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that teaching lesson Miss....You are just great as I have said before Please can I sit in on your class...Am I right inthinking the grade ages are 6 +  ie grade 1 = age 6 ?  Oh how I would love to have been a teacher, what an amazing thing to be able to open a childs eyes to the endless possibilities we have in our own hands. What a pity it is that in a lot of homes their eys are not allowed to be opend by all the negativity around them.  Thank You for opening their eyes.  Much Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

What a teacher you are Bea!  You constantly amaze me, and I love how I come here and read about a lesson or some interesting thing you are doing with your class.. and guess what?  I find myself learning right along with your students!   I like that.. :)

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Those kids are so luck and blessed to have you for a teacher. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to learn things like that in school. What a big world brought to them at this young age. It is a global age:).......alice

Anonymous said...

Bea, sorry I've been MIA.  I have shingles on my face and head which made me miserable.  I'd love to be a student in your class.  The symmetrical paintings are fascinating.  My oldest daughter, the scientist, is also a pretty accomplished artist.  She did bamboo brush drawings for all of us for Christmas.  She is matting and framing mine now.  LOL....Mom is the last on the list.  I'm just amazed at how well the 3rd graders did with them.  They are very hard to master. I can't believe another school year is coming to a close.  Have a great weekend!  Chris

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you continue to come up with such creative and interesting lessons. I know that your students look forward to coming to your class! I particularly respect how youincoporate so much cultural diversity ib the classroom through the teaching of art.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

I think I know now why you're such a good teacher Bea - you get just as excited as the kids, and I'm sure they must notice that.
More power to you elbow.

B. x

Anonymous said...

Love how you help show the kids the world :o)

Anonymous said...

What a neat project for your children!!  They are really blessed to be in your classes.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hello

I just wanted to return the favor to you and leave you a comment back!

I just dont think I would have the patients to learn the chinese stuff LOL I have very little patients hehehehe......

oh btw.. I saw your in NC.. I have family in NC they were just down here last weekend :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Come back real soon!

~ Christopher

Anonymous said...

I like your smiley paintings...they are lovely. I am retired now but taught art for 40 years as well as teaching special needs. I rarely get into schools these days and never to teach art more's the pity. I only ever go in for dyslexia assessments these days. You seem to have some great ideas. I learnt to do chinese calligraphy when I lived in Hong Kong and Singapore. It is very difficult. I still have our names in Chinese on paintings and also the beautiful flower paintings done on a silk scroll. You should try that with your students using the same kind of brush. Love Conniexx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your art lessons and pictures. Enjoyed them all, Bea.
Sincerely, Rose~*

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
thank you very much for an interesting blog!
I too am very impressed with the kids writing their names in Chinese!
the symmetry exercises are interesting and I think that some things in nature are full of symmetry. I think it can teach kids much about design and shapes in design.
You may have some authentic artists of the future there Bea!
you're great to stimulate all of these hidden talents.
I love you very much.
natalie

Anonymous said...

What a cute tag Donna made.  You are so good at illustrating with photos what you are doing with the kids.  That is the mark of a real pro in my mind.  I have always thought Chinese script fascinating.  I think it is neat that you studied how to teach some of that to the kids.  I bet they were very interested.  I never had a teacher who did what you have done here.  But I would have been fascinated.  I used to spend a lot of time reading stories that came from countries all over the world and I had a children's encylopedia at home I was always studying.  I think children are naturally interested in these things especially when stimulated by a teacher.  Kudoes to you for thinking about how to keep the kids challenged and interested.  I am sure I would have loved having you for a teacher!  Gerry