I had just emailed Patrick (aka Daddyleer, Caregivingly Yours), in response to his comment in the previous entry, and that got me to thinking about MC Escher, the famous graphic artist (1897-1972).
One of my most favorite lessons to teach in school is the tessellation math unit. I generally do it for fifth graders only. If I did it in the fourth grade as well, they wouldn't be as surprised and excited to do it again in fifth grade. Although, I should rethink that now that I'm an art teacher. Certainly there is room to break that unit up into two different projects, one for the fourth graders and one for the fifth graders, expanding on what they had learned in fourth.
I begin the unit with an introduction to tessellations, and to the relevant vocabulary the students should know in fifth grade: translate, reflect, rotate. In fourth grade, they learn the same words as slide, flip, and turn, respectively. There are many lesson plans available on the internet that teach tessellations. But I have developed my own.
I spend about 10 minutes the first day just showing the kids pictures, prints, and video clips of the work of MC Escher. Each small group gets a brown envelope with prints of Escher's work that I have collected over the years from calendars and the internet. For another 15 minutes, we talk about what we see in the images, have small group discussions, then share with the class. When kids study Escher prints for the first time, they are blown away! They can't believe that someone who lived at the turn of the century was doing that kind of 'special effects' art.
After they recognize his graphic style, and can name the three movements found in tessellations (at this grade level), they begin to make their own tessellation pieces. This takes about one 35-45minute session. In subsequent sessions, they create their own tessellation drawing... spending several days coloring it in, using one or two contrasting colors.
The one below is one of the unfinished examples I show, my own design, representing a slide/translation, with two color rendition. The students' work is of a much simpler design. I'd love to show some Escher prints, but am waiting for permission.
Just before they are finished with their drawing, I bring in the video movie, Labyrinth, starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly. It was made in 1986 by the greats Jim Henson (muppet king) and George Lucas (special effects wizard). The musical score was written by Bowie himself... every song fits the story line perfectly.
I have enjoyed this movie from the first day I saw it... my son was eight years old at the time. To this day it is one of his childhood favorites as well.
Needless to say, the influence of artist MC Escher is all through this film, which is the reason that I include it in my lesson. Depending upon the time allowed, the kids will view either a few minutes of one clip from the "Stair room" scene, or the entire movie, shown in parts during their lunch time.
This photo from Walter Pullen's website
I wanted to include two pictures, one of Escher's print, and one from the film for you to compare... but I think I'll be in copyright violation for the Escher print. Mr. Pullen granted permission for the movie still. If I get permission for Relativity, I'll comeback and post it. For now, just click on the link in previous sentence, then go to Picture Gallery, then click on Back to Holland. Scroll all the way to the bottom. You'll find the print there on the left.
The video clip below from YouTube shows the exact scene the kids will see at the end of their Escher/Tessellation unit.
In this scene, Sarah (Connelly) is very close to finding her baby brother, Toby, who was stolen by the Goblin King (Bowie) 13 hours earlier.
For Indigo: The voice is Bowie's as Jareth, the Goblin King, and he is singing to Sarah. He has been deceiving her, creating all sorts of illusions to keep her in his Labyrinth, and until now, she has been under his spell. But she is stronger than he is, determined to rescue her brother and return home. Jareth realizes he can't have her when she makes that final leap. Bowie starts singing at the 18 second mark, where Sarah stands above and Jareth stands below, like mirror images.
"Within You" by David Bowie
How you turn my world
You precious thing.
You starve and near exhaust me.
Everything I've done,
I've done for you.
I move the stars for no one.
You've run so long.
You've run so far.
Your eyes can be so cruel,
Just as I can be so cruel,
Oh I do believe in you.
Yes I do.
Live without your sunlight.
Love without your heartbeat.
(Falsetto) I... I...
Can't.. live.. within.. you...
I can't live within you
I...I..Can't live within you
I hope you enjoy these little details from one of my favorite topics in art/math.


15 comments:
Bea, this was fascinating! Bowie is one of my favorites, and you've found an ingenious way to make learning interesting.
Can I be in your class? :)
Hugs,
Beth
WEll Bea you are certainly teaching me something about maths ...as we call it in the UK... not math ! and as for tesselations, well I sure need to go back to school to see if anyon ein our school teaches such things...I am sure they didn't some 55 years ago !! I am facinated by Escher though... You are such a wonderful teacher..good on you.. Much Love Sybil xx
Aunt Bea - This was one of my favorite blogs to read thus far! Its so exciting when art teacher integrates MATH into their lessons. I guess in many ways they are related. I too do a unit on tessellations. Even in 8th grade there is so much to be said about the transformations needed to create them. I also teach them 2 point prospective drawings when teaching more about the properties of parallel lines and transversal. Geometry and Art are very much related, aren't they? I wish I had you for a teacher! Thanks for sharing. Becky
Glad you like the "Rat Pack....thanks for the comment and stopping by <grin>
I love the Escher stair picture, my Dad had a print and I could look at it for hours. I am sure that you inspire your students :o)
I have always loved that movie -- Bowie could have had a long movie career as a villian. Escher is an impressive artist, but the mathematics intimidate me.
xx
Russ
I've never watched the movie but I'm tempted now, just to look out for the escher-esque scenes.
Never heard of tesselations, they obviously don't teach so well in the UK.
B. x
I do love that film, amazing that so many people haven't heard of it.And the scene you dscribe with the staircases is particularly graphic. I like the part where the little bag lady is trying to get the girl to hang on to all her possessions rather than trying to get her brother back. It shows us all how often we have the wrong priorities in life. Stuff or people?
God Bless+
mairie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mairiegelling/word-in-the-hand/
Can you believe I have never seen that film? Neither can I!! I'll have to rectify that oversight as soon as possible! Wonderfully informative and interesting entry as always Bea!
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/
This was a trip down memory lane for me. I remember learning about MC Escher in art. At the time my teacher tried to show us how to take his artform and produce depth, 3D versions. I always found it challenging to let your mind try to come up with difference pieces to work with not unlike a puzzle. The Labyrinth was one of my daughter's favorite movies as well. Thank you for the lyrics dear friend. I definitely enjoyed going down this memory, especially remember a younger version of my daughter on the eve of her wedding. (Hugs) Indigo
Very interesting. Have not seen this before. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your kind words on my journal. Have a wonderful week. Janie
Great entry, you make me want to watch Labyrinth again to pay close attention to the imagery. You reallyy should publish your lesson plans; you are an innovative teacher and others could learn so much from you.--Sheria
I have never seen that film and now I want to watch it to see what happens. The special effects are fantastic. You are doing a wonderful job with your kids, and how I wish that you were with us teaching art! I may try to borrow some of your ideas from you for the math for next year - I loved the symmetrical faces. I am so happy for you that you are doing what you love for another year. How exciting! Love you! Caroline
I learn more in your journal than I think I ever did in school. <grin> I sooo enjoyed watching this movie with my daughter and never once connected the immagery with Escher. Thanks for the education!
Have you considered openning an on line university? <grin>
Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
http://journals.aol.com/daddyleer/CaregivinglyYours/
http://lairofcachalot.blogspot.com/
oh my Bea:)
that is my kids' favorite movie! I is sooo great!
And Escher has got to be one of the most original and earth shattering artists of his time! I totally admire you for doing this! I envy your students!
love,nat
Post a Comment