Where do I begin? I returned to school officially Monday, and today is Wednesday. I am thrilled to be back in the classroom, but also a bit apprehensive as I consider the changes I want to implement in my instruction.
The big word in our school district this year is engage. The Mirriam Webster Online dictionary includes, among others, the following definitions for this word:
4 a: to provide occupation for : involve <engage him in a new project> b: to arrange to obtain the use or services of : hire <engage a lawyer>5 a: to hold the attention of : engross <her work engages her completely> b: to induce to participate <engaged the shy boy in conversation>
This year our teachers are going to be more engaging in the classroom! Including me. More about this later.
For now, I want to add this video of one of my favorite male singers... Josh Groban. Oh, and Celine's voice is beautiful as well. There are many folks to pray for out there, you know who they are. I know folks who are in the hospital, who work in hospitals, people who are called into dangerous work, or who work with people in the margins of our society ... these people need our prayers. Both the ones who do the work, and the ones who benefit from their efforts.
"The Prayer"
I pray you'll be our eyes
And watch us where we go
And help us to be wise
In times when we don't know
Let this be our prayer
As we go our way
Lead us to a place
Guide us with your Grace
To a place where we'll be safe
La luce che tu dai
I pray we'll find your light
Nel cuore restera
And hold it in our hearts
A ricordarci che
When stars go out each night
L'eterna stella sei
Nella mia preghiera
Let this be our prayer
Quanta fede c'e
When shadows fill our day
Lead us to a place
Guide us with your grace
Give us faith so we'll be safe.
Sogniamo un mondo senza piu violenza
Un mondo di giustizia e di speranza
Ognuno dia la mano al suo vicino
Simbolo di pace e di fraternita
La forza che ci dai
We ask that life be kind
E'il desiderio che
And watch us from above
Ognuno trovi amore
We hope each soul will find
Intorno e dentro a se
Another soul to love
Let this be our prayer
Let this be our prayer
Just like every child
Just like every child
Needs to find a place,
Guide us with your grace
Give us faith so we'll be safe
E la fede che
Hai acceso in noi
Sento che ci salvera
[ www.azlyrics.com ]
I dedicate this post to River, and pray that he is safe as he ministers to the homeless people of Las Vegas.


16 comments:
How fast the summer goes, hard to believe you are back to school already. Hang in there, teachers are the backbone of our society :o)
Bea, looking forward to hearing more about your lessons and adventures in the classroom. Remember, I wish I could be one of the students in your classroom! I hope the year is shaping up to be a great one....
:) Beth
Wishing you a very rewarding and fruitful year with your students Bea! I know you are a wonderful teacher and all of your students are very lucky to have you. I love this song sung by Celine and Josh. It's a beautiful song.
Love,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/
I am sure River will appreciate your prayer for him and many others Bea..Thank you for it..I was thinking of you on Monday when you were back at school. It is funny that as I sit here thinking about you you ....hopefully....are still sound asleep.. and getting your body ready for your next day. !!
"engage" well there is one thing that is sure and that is that you ALWAYS engage with your pupils...they and the school are so very lucky to have you with them.
When you have settled back into the routine of school and feel like it I could do with more "engage" myself !! LOve as always Sybil xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/
ENGAGE > " to come together and interlock (as of machinery parts) : be or become in gear "
You are the engine that turns the wheels when the clutch is engaged.
Anxiously waiting to see how your talent and inspiration is transferred to all your little "wheels."
Hoping you have smooth shifting and Happy Motoring !
Clyde
That's a beautiful video, Bea. I love Josh Groban and didn't even know he had sang with Celine. Wow, summer just seems to fly by. Actually, time does, in general. It will be fun to read about your projects and children again. It's good to hear that River is around again. I know he was MIA for awhile. Chris
Any time I read your journal about your students and your classroom, I am filled with hope. Hope that YES, there are still teachers in our school systems across the country who truly love what they do - and who love the children they are teaching. We've probably all experienced our child having a teacher for an entire year that just obviously viewed their job as a "job", punching a time clock every day.
Thanks for NOT being one of those teachers!
And thank you for the prayer reminder. It's funny, but on an email prayer chain we receive, one of the requests this morning was to pray for women and children of abuse. I think that fits right in with your prayer request as well. This world....well....needs all the prayer we can muster.
Hugs,
Gwynn
Thanks so much for this presentation of Celine and Josh, it touched my heart :)
Marilyn in Miami FL :)
Glad to hear you're back in the classroom Bea. I look forward to many enjoyable lessons in the future. I'm saure you'll do a fine job, despite your initial apprehension.
Love the video too.
B. x
Your joy at being a teacher is still there. Those children are so blessed to have you.
ENGAGE is a word I heard strongly this week as I was listening to a live broadcast of SW Believer's Conference from KCM.org. It came from Gloria Copeland in a teaching. It seems I've heard this word all week.
I love Josh Grobin and did not know he sang with Celine who sings like an angel. What a message this is.
Thank you.
Enjoy your semester. It's almost time for Katie to come home. Gotta run.
Hugs,
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/
Private Journal
What a beautiful tribute to River. I appreciate the lyrics you post for me more than you know dear friend. I love reading about your enthusiasm for school and your students. They are blessed to have you teaching them. (Hugs) Indigo
Dear Bea,
What a lovely entry!:)
I know Josh and Celine are very talented!:):)
Bocelli wrote that song! Have you heard his rendition of it?:)
I understand he wanted to include Josh and asked him to sing it!
I think that is soooo cool!:):)
I think that your idea of engagin the students is fab!:)
Looking forawrd to more about that!
love,natalie
"The Prayer" by Celine Dion and Josh Groban is a beautiful song. I've never heard it before. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I love it!
My ears are turning red, Bea. Thank you so much for the tribute on your post. it is a dedication I feel so honored with.
"Egage" sounds like an excellent project. Students having teachers like you, and as Aimer was, have a wealth of learning treasures that will last them for the rest of their lives.
God Bless You, Bea!
River
Hi Bea, Unfortunately Body Worlds ends on Sept 1. Next time you are in town though you may want to check out Walters Art Musem on 600 North Charles Stree. A nice small musem. Piersix pavillion is a great outdoor concert facility. Good luck with your new instruction. Kelly
I think "engaging" is a word that already applies to you and to your teaching methods, so I don't think you'll have any problems there. I have known some wonderful teachers who were fully engaged in teaching and in their students.
Lori
The song is one of my favorites and so are the singers!--Sheria
Post a Comment