Sunday, August 3, 2008

Spontaneity and J-Land Photo Shoot

                                                        

Today marks my third year blogging here at aol journals! YEAY!

I'm linking this entry to the JLand Photo Shoot because I wanted the photos to be part of the photo shoot event. I call these photos "Sunrise at Carolina"... and there's a video to boot! If you would like to participate in the JLand Photo Shoot, click on the above link for details.

                             

Wednesday morning my husband and I had a moment of spontaneity. It was about 10 a.m.

After his first cup of coffee, I saw him step outside onto the front deck. That's his favorite thinking spot. He loves being outside on a beautiful day, and it was such a day. He leaned back into the old wooden chair, his eyes scanning the yard.

He had the next three days off, and we'd made no plans. I asked him what he wanted to do with his time off... he said he didn't know. Sometimes that's his answer when he doesn't really care. It's like a stall answer, saying nothing, remaining uncommitted.

But it was the way he said it that made me think that he really was wanting to do something, but needed to hear what I thought first. That was my clue to jump in and tell him.

"We could either go to the mountains... or to the coast," I suggested. The coast is about 300 miles east, the mountains the same distance west. I would have chosen the mountains, but I knew he loved to visit the coast. Our boat has been out ofcommission for two years now, so that wasn't one of our options.

He was silent for a few moments as he thought about it. "We could go to Beaufort or Carolina Beach... we haven't been there in years." I reminded him. It was true. Neither of us could remember when we last walked on any of the beaches of Pleasure Island (Kure, Carolina, or Ft. Fisher).    

                           

"Yeah... we could spend a couple of nights at Carolina Beach." He liked that idea.

"We could pack what we needed right now, jump in the car, and take off... nothing keeping us here. In three days, I'll be getting ready for VBS, and then school starts... summer is almost over," I reminded him.

His summers are not like mine. His workdays are longer than mine. He needed a break as well. We'd just gotten back from a family visit in Georgia and Florida, which was a great deal of fun. But we were both ready for some alone time. Middle of the week. It shouldn't be any trouble getting aroom right on the beach.

"Yeah," he said again. "Carolina Beach... we could go there. Relax. Walk around the beach..." he left the remainder of what he was thinking open.

"Then let's go pack the bags, load up the car and get on the road!" I said as I stepped in front of him. "Right now, let's go.Let's do something completely spontaneous!"

We packed everything we'd need for two days, and then some, and were on the road by 11:30 a.m.

                                        

It was fun... leaving like that. No cares, no responsibilities for the next three days and twonights. Just like those first three years of our marriage, before we became parents. Only this time, we could afford to take off. We didn't have to count pennies this time.

Responsibility and work and obligations were just three days away. But these three days would be ours.

                              

I took probably fifteen minutes of video... but shortened it to five for my journal.

If you would like a five minute respite, may I suggest visiting this aol uncut video anytime you desire to get away? I'd be honored to have you join me there.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, Bea!  I could almost feel the waves crashing across my toes.  I absolutely love the ocean.  It's my favorite place to go.  I loved Hatteras because it's so undeveloped.  Global warming is a frightening thought.  I'll be visiting your video often.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love Carolina Beach!!!  I actually see the hotel that I normally stay in in a few frames of your video.  I need to get back there...and might actually have a trip planned for the latter part of August with some friends.  This video really makes me hope that it all works out and I can go.  I gues it will come down to being a spontaneous weekend away since there is nothing all that concrete about it yet.

Greg

Anonymous said...

The beaches look beautiful!  Wish I was there.
Missie

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for you Bea. It looks wonderful - just what you needed, I'm sure. We're still quite a ways away from doing the spontaneous thing, but I know that our kids will grow up before we know it. I am glad you had a chance to rest! ~ Caroline ~

Anonymous said...

You give me hope that there is a life after raising children ...
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have the freedom to do something spontaneous like that Bea.  I say why not, and how very generous of you to take us there with you!!!  I loved watching your video and hearing the sound of the waves washing against the shore and hearing the seagulls, and that sunrise or was it a sunset, nevermind, it was beautiful whatever it was!  Thanks so much!!!
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

PS  Happy Bloggaversary to you too!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on three years!  And I'm happy to hear you had such a wonderful end to your summer!  =  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I needed that video before I head out to work!!!!  
Becky

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a spontaneous get-a-way :o)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on three years of journaling Bea.
Thanks for sharing the video, I swear I felt my feet getting wet.
A beautiful sunrise and a lasting memory.

B. x

Anonymous said...

I loved that video!  Very peaceful.  Thanks for sharing it.

It sounds as if you had a lovely time.  We never do spontaneous things - I feel inspired!

Hugs,
Gwynn

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your Anniversary!!! WOO HOO!
Huggies,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful.  It felt like being there with the waves and the sound of them.  Thank you so much for this wonderful treat.  I also love the shore and would spend more time there if I could.  The flowing tide lifts spirits and creates energy.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your blogging anniversary, Bea. There's nothing like being beside the seaside for some quietness.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your journal anniversary, Bea. Wow, the time sure has gone by fast. Your video of the sunrise at the beach looked absolutely stunning. I love the water and always find that it rejuvenates my mind whenever I can relax and drift away with the tide. Would love to come out for a visit to that lovely beach, someday!
Always, Rose~*

Anonymous said...

congrats Bea...   3 years, wow!   Love the pictures :)
d

Anonymous said...

What a relaxing video - we were at Budleigh Salterton, in Devon yesterday, watching similar scenes, albiet not at sunrise

Mary

Anonymous said...

Tahnk you for that lovely start to my day  after a rather yukky night it is nice to just sit here and drift away on your beautiful beach.  Will come back later to watch the un cut version.   THree years doing your journal !! Congradualtions...don't know if I will last as long I seem to have run out of steam these last couple of months ...  Much Love  sybil x

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your anniversary...and a "Hooray" that alerts are working again!!

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

dear Bea,
wowie ! that sounds like such a romantic anniversary!
Many Congratulations on your anniversary!
Love you,natalie

Anonymous said...

Wow!  That's so great!  I'm glad you guys got away for a few days on your own.  And Happy Three Years Anniversary to you journal!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Road trip!!! I love it!

What a great way to treat yourselves to some "you" time, and not worry about anything but enjoying the beauty and peace around you.

Congrats on three years of journaling! It's always a pleasure to read your writings, Bea.

All my best,
Beth

Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures!! great place for some alone time; so neat to be spontaneous like that!!!

betty

Anonymous said...

    Before we had kids we used to take off like that. If we had time, we'd pack and get on the road. Sometimes we just pointed the car in a new direction and waited to see where we ended up. My youngest will be in college next year. Maybe we can do it again. We have a lot of good memories.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle
P.S.: Congrats on 3 years.

Anonymous said...

fabulous photos!!!!!
We can never up and leave like that-thought we could once he retired.But he's working again and we have farm critters and mom with us    :-(

connie

Anonymous said...

What a great entry!!
and beautiful pictures.... so glad you decided to get away...
we're doing that this weekend... going to Monterey for a night, right on the beach....
Linda :)