Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sweetly Broken

Sometimes you hear a song that really hits the mark of your heart. When I was a teenager, I remember I loved listening to a variety of rock, pop, and bubble gum music. I fell in love with the voice of Neil Diamond, then Barry Gibb (and his brothers) ... this was pre-disco days, folks. Think late sixties).

In college (early 70's), my tastes matured, and I followed Harry Chapin's ballads, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and Young, the Doors, and Neil Diamond. Yeah, I guess he was my first love ... his voice.

Later, after my son was born, I heard Pink Floyd and bought a few of their albums, which I played over and over again. Early nineties I woke up to the voice of Bono and U2... yes, Bono replaced Neil easily.

"With or Without You" was the song that captured my attention in the 1987/88. It was Bono's sultry voice, and the bass guitar that seemed to mesmerize me whenever the song came on the radio. I had wondered what Bono looked like. We didn't have cable or dish tv back then, so I had never seen the videos that went with music. Until a couple of years later while on vacation at the beach, MTV was on ... and I saw the video. I found a very sexy man behind that sexy Irish voice. Watch it and tell me it ain't so!

Over the years, Bono has proved to be more than rock star. His talents have extended into political and humanitarian activism... he has spearheaded efforts to bring awareness to AIDS in Africa as well as other Third World issues. You can read all about him here...

But that's not what I wanted to write about today. In fact, I didn't really want to write at all... I just wanted to play the following video over and over again... this voice is my new love, the voice of Jeremy Riddle. I can definitely see that U2 has influenced his music.

I don't know too much about Jeremy Riddle... in fact, it's very much like what happened when I first heard the music of Bono... I fell in love with the voice, the lyrics of his songs first. Today I decided to find out what Jeremy Riddle looks like... my goodness, he's just a boy! LOL!

There are two versions... the first one is a video someone made to go with the music. I think it's well done, the music is loud... turn it up! The second one shows Jeremy singing on stage, but the volume is too low. However, you can see what he looks like. As if it mattered!

                                                  

It's not his voice that really interests me as much as what he sings with his voice. The words to this song, Sweetly Broken, are below. I'll let the words of his song of worship and praise do the talking... er... singing.

Sweetly Broken by Jeremy Riddle

To the cross I look, to the cross I cling

Of its suffering I do drink

Of its work I do sing



For on it my Savior both bruised and crushed

Showed that God is love

And God is just



Chorus:

At the cross You beckon me

You draw me gently to my knees, and I am

Lost for words, so lost in love,

I’m sweetly broken, wholly surrendered




What a priceless gift, undeserved life

Have I been given

Through Christ crucified



You’ve called me out of death

You’ve called me into life

And I was under Your wrath

Now through the cross I’m reconciled



Chorus


In awe of the cross I must confess

How wondrous Your redeeming love and

How great is Your faithfulness

[ Sweetly Broken Lyrics on http://www.lyricsmania.com/ ]

                              

 

There's nothing more to be added. Except maybe 'Amen'.

 

 

 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this song Bea.  It's funny how our music tastes change through the years.  I liked many of the same ones you did and do.  I strongly believe that the music we listen to influences us in many ways.  These days I choose to listen to music that is uplifting and inspiring for the most part.  I also have a liking for soft classical music.  
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

As you so rightly say dear Bea   AMEN....no wonder we get on so well our outlooks and likes are so similar   Love Sybil XX

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Bea.  Yes, this is one of my favorite songs too. The words are so meaningful and his voice is so ...... I am trying to think of something to describe the depth and fullness of his voice!  I think I need to put some of my favorite songs on my website - later. I have a workshop at school today (starting the school year with a bang!).  Luvya, Caroline.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these videos Bea - I've loved that song since the first time I heard it.  He reminds me a little of Jeremy Camp or Todd Agnew.  Still struggling (wrestling?) here with God, so I know there's a message in there for me - probably the line that stuck out so much was "draw me gently to my knees."  Cause I think maybe I feel like I'm fixing to be slammed to my knees if something doesn't change.  Gently doesn't seem to be working for me.

Hugs,
Gwynn

Anonymous said...

Bea,
Thanks for sharing.  Now I know we are close in age.  We have enjoyed many of the same artists.
Smiles,
David

Anonymous said...

He's wonderful and so are the lyrics!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Amen
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Bea,
I never found Bono to be all that attractive until I saw the video that you just posted.  I stand corrected!  Who was keeping this video from reaching my eyes for all these years?  :-)  I really enjoyed this post....
-Kira

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....I always thought The Edge was the sexiest U2 member.  Bono seems too serious.  ;)

Russ

Anonymous said...

He has that same rough, emotive edge to his voice that Bono has. I like it.

B. x

Anonymous said...

I am in awe!
Marti

Anonymous said...

I've always been mesmerized by U2, Bono and the song With or Without You.  What really fascinates me about Jeremy Riddle is not only his sound, which is definitely a U2 haunting quality to it, but that it's Christian.  I'm just loving the newer Christian music.  The words are awesome!  Hugs Chris

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
I got back a bit sick but your entry has cheered me up! thanks so much Bea!
Beautiful!
hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

His voice sounds similar to Leonard Cohen's for me. Great song and inspirational lyrics, too. Thanks so much for sharing this, Bea ;)
Always, Rose~*

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful music, thanks for sharing. I love being introduced to a new singer, especially one with such a moving song.--Sheria