Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We've Got the Power!

                                      

Back in March and April of this year, people from several local churches gathered together to begin working on a common summer outreach mission. It's called Vacation Bible School.

I had not experienced Vacation Bible School as a child... I grew up Catholic. I don't know if other Catholics ever attended VBS, but I didn't know what it was until about thirteen or so years ago when I became a VBS adult volunteer. I was 42 years old. Kind of old to be starting Vacation Bible School for the first time, but it's never too late.

I fell in love with the concept from the start. It's a fun way to introduce kids to Jesus, and to tell the stories about God's love for them, about their relationship with Jesus, and about God's relationship with them. At VBS, kids generally sing lots of praise and worship songs, make crafts, play games, and eat snacks... all the while hearing the rich stories about Jesus and his disciples, stories about the faithful, the struggles, the miracles, the tragedies and the joys of living in Christ.

                             

I attended those first few workshops back in the spring, helping to draw, cut, and paint the props we wanted to use as a background to help us tell our stories. The program we used this year was PowerLab (by Group).

                           

I was inspired by the vision and dedication shown by the people I met last spring. They were excited about the mission of VBS, displaying enthusiasm and purpose in all that they did. I was thrilled to be part of the team.

In the above photos, you can see us painting the beakers (cut from thick sheets of styrofoam)... and in the photo below, you can see the results of those early spring preparation sessions. I included them to give you some idea of the size of this set. These eight feet tall, twenty feet wide styrofoam laboratory shelves sit in our Fellowship Hall this week. They serve as a backdrop to emphasize how Jesus gives us power to be thankful, helpful, and brave.... to live for eternity, and to tell the Good News.

                            

Each night this week the kids sat in the foreground, or stood and danced and sang the songs right in this very room... each night they tossed balloons into the giant beaker. They look like giant blue and white bubbles. The balloons represented not only their attendance each night, but their answer to a question our pastor asked of them.

Our PowerLab VBS began Sunday, the 10th... it's been a great week!

                             

If you've ever wanted to volunteer for VBS, but was afraid to because you had never done it before, let me encourage you to get involved. There's nothing more satisfying, nor more important, than teaching children about God.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great VBS you have!!  I always attended one as a child, and my kids have as well.  So many folks just don't get it, they don't understand it, they refuse to understand it.  I've heard so many comments about the things we use to entice kids to church.  Sorry, but a cross and a book doesn't do it for a six year old.  I guess it takes a parent or teacher to understand children.  Job well done at VBS and many more years to come!!!!!  :0) N.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I have to admit that the lab theme is a pretty darn good one. <grin> (That's the retired microbiologist in me talking.)

Beth

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had as much fun as you gave to the kids. !!  I havn't heard of VBS over here...but it sounds like a great idea..One of our churches has run for the first time a Summer School for the oldies !! it seems to have been a great hit and an idea maybe for us next year...after all the many of the oldies don't get away on holiday and seem to have enjoyed themselves...they did things very similar to the VBS  crafts singing etc. also had a day trip out...as usual over here this year in the rain !!  Speak to you soon.  When are you back to school ? will have to have a session on linking before that or you will be to tired !!  Love sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry Bea!  I never got to go to Vacation Bible School as a child either, but I have had the wonderful blessing of being a leader and a teacher at several and I know how special they are and how much the children enjoy them!  I know the ones you worked with have been really blessed, as you are such a wonderful and giving teacher!
Love,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

As a child I went to VBS, as an adult I also participated in one way or another, my kids went too. VBS is wonderful for them.
Hope your week is going well. Be blessed.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea. The kids did a great job and looks like they really had a good time:).....alice

Anonymous said...

When my kids were little, not only did they attend VBS and loved it, I was also a teacher.  
Missie

Anonymous said...

Love this entry!   when I was a child, I went to VBS a time or two, and I have special memories from it.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

oh...that looks like fun...our church is too small for anything of that scale!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Seems like the perfect place for you to enjoy all your interests: teaching, learning and God.
Have fun Bea.

B. x

Anonymous said...

I went to VBS as a child.  My children also did plus I taught and volunteered the whole time I lived in Pittsburgh.  When my children were too old to attend, they also became volunteers.  I have to say that those two weeks were always the most uplifting weeks of the year; like a mini vacation.  Chris

Anonymous said...

that sounds so good I wish I could of attended
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

You are blessed to have the chance to change our youngsters lives, both at Vacation Bible School, and in your classroom.  Thank you for being part of the village :o)

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
I did try to volunteer for that once, but the VC director didn't want our help!
You write about all of the fun things i would love to do!
I love the pictures the best because I can totally relate! I used to love doing arts and crafts and talk about the Lord with other kids.
Maybe I should volunteer next summer!Thank you for a great entry!
love and hugs
natalie

Anonymous said...

I can remember going to summ er bible school for one week when I was a kid and handstitching a cloth fish with the greek letters on it...mine looked terrible.  I learned early on that cloth would never be my medium. :(


Russ

Anonymous said...

You summed it up well, Bea!  We sing a chorus in church, "We've got the power, in the name of Jesus.  We've got the power, in the name of the Lord.  Though Satan rages, we will not be defeated!  We've got the power in the name of the Lord!"  =  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hi there
I love VBS
It was fun as a kid and I have helped out with it as an adult and always loved it. Looks like you did some creative stuff.
Love
Marti

Anonymous said...

Power Lab must be a very popular program this year.  I've seen a lot of VBS signs making mention of Power Lab.
Lori

Anonymous said...

    What a wonderful project. We have Vacation Bible School here as well. It's something to think about volunteering for next year.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay