I've seen four of my classes in each grade level. We have six classes in kindergarten, five classes in first, second, and third grades, and four in fourth and fifth grades. There are also three Separate Setting EC classrooms. To accommodate the number of classrooms that go to specials (which is what my art class is. Music is a special, PE, library, etc), we are on a six day schedule. This means I see each class once every six days.
It took me awhile to get used to thinking in terms of six days, but I've got the hang of it. The best way for me to keep up with it is to write down which day it is in the calendar. For instance, tomorrow, Monday, happens to be Day 5 on our schedule. Tuesday will be Day 6, and Wednesday will start over at Day 1, followed by Thursday as Day 2, and so on. So the Day changes from week to week, but it doesn't matter. I no longer think in terms of Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday etc, but in terms of Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc. But only in regards to teaching.
That was just a side note. FYI. I don't know how other schools handle their week days when they have large numbers of children. We have over 650 students... it works for us.
Every class has to have a first day with me, and first days are generally the time a teacher goes over the classroom expectations, rules of behavior, and so forth. By the time the third day rolls around, they've heard all the rules. So during my first days, I let them sit where they want to, go over the rules quickly, and give them a task that helps me get to know them, and they me.
As the Kindergartners continue to draw pictures of me while I pose for them (I added two more in this entry), the third graders are working on something that goes a bit deeper.
They're making Words of Wisdom Banners. I thought it would be helpful if they started the year thinking of what they had learned last year... important thoughts they can pass on to the current second graders.
To introduce them to the concept, I first read them some words of wisdom from Chicken Soup for the Kids' Soul. Then I let them share out loud some they could think of on their own.
Finally, I gave them a card and a pen to write their own words of wisdom. I checked their spelling, then they copied it onto the bulletin board paper banner with a Sharpie marker. There were enough banners for 3 or 4 kids to work on one. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the banner to show today.
The only criteria I gave was that they had to check to make sure that it wasn't already written on the banner by another child, and 2) write neatly. Oh yeah, a third rule: no drawings on the banner. No flowers, no rainbows, no hearts. I set this criteria because I'm certain there would have been lots of drawing and very few words of wisdom on the banner. And then it wouldn't have been a Words of Wisdom banner!
Some of their words were serious, and some were funny and cute. Some paraphrased what they had heard me read from the book because they couldn't come up with one of their own, but that was okay with me. Sort of what I had in mind when I read them out loud in the first place. I accepted them all.
There will be plenty of time for drawing next time they come to me.
Did you know you can order a device that will speak words of wisdom for you? It's a Life Learning Device! I didn't know there was such a thing... sounds just like my cup of tea. Here is a website that sells them. At the touch of a button, motivating words jolt your kids to think smarter and develop a better attitude about school and life in general.
It would come in handy when the wise words aren't hanging from the tip of my tongue. You know, those kinds of days.
In this kinder class, I held an inflated globe while standing on a stool. See, doesn't it look just like me?


17 comments:
Bea,
LOL, yes, I can definitely see the resemblance! Well, maybe if I squint...and don't have my glasses on...and stand several feet away from the computer. :)
And yes, I think we all have those kinds of days when the words of wisdom just aren't flowing. In the meantime, never let your kids see you sweat!
All my best,
Beth
I want to be a kid in your class
Marti
Looks like everybody is off to a wonderful start. I'm looking forward to seeing all the new ideas and creations. That portrait is definately you, smile and all.
Cheers,
Clyde
Love the portraits Bea! I think you are a fab teacher! We need more like you , that's for sure. I love to read about your classroom adventures! Looking forward to many more in this next year!
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/
Gotta love it when you see a kindergartener give his impression of the world. Love the idea of the wisdom banners. I can only imagine what some of these kids came up with.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
I would have recognised you anywhere LOL...I think I would find it quite hard to get my mind round a six day week in a 5 day week !! but then you are so clever !! I would expect no less of you...how many children are in each class Bea ? and their ages is it same as over here 4 + I do love to read all about them Much Love Sybil xx
http://wandascountryhome.com/autumnleaves/index.html
GOOD LUCK.
LOVE YA,
LIZ IN VA.
I love it have a great school year
hugs
Sherry
I think you have one of the best jobs in the world!
Missie
A clever idea Bea. It's fascinating to find out what goes on in the minds of kids.
Love the portrait, it looks just like you. ;O)
B. x
What a wonderful start to the year. Your ideas are so unique and inspirational. I look forward to learning about your classes and their learning experiences this year. :o)
I get so tickled thinking about you posing for your young artists, what a delightful activity! I know that I've said it before, but you continue to amaze and wow me with your enthusiasm for your work, your creativity, and your love for your students. I wish that you could be cloned and placed in every school in America. I also love the Words of Wisdom banners and I hope that you will publish some of their wise words. I love the wondrous ways in which children think! Happy school year!--Sheria
Dear Bea,
good work! I've got to check out the website.
I love this entry! beautiful!
I love the fact that you give the kids expectations adn then invite theri words of wisdom! Bravo Bea!
love,nat
p.s.
Thank you so much for your comments!
Please go back and see if I did it right this time!
http://aol.journals.com/Lurkynat/Interface/
pps. would you have time to consider honoring one of the victims or heroes of 911
like you and I and Guido and Sugar did two years ago?
love,nat
I'd love to see all the pictures of you that have been done on these "first days". I like the idea of the Words of Wisdom Banner, and I hope you share some of those with us as well.
Lori
beautiful drawings!
Becky
Very cute picture bea. Sounds like your having a great time with the kids. 650 is alot of children to keep up with, good luck and have a great week. kelly
I wish I could clone you and have you in Katie's school. Her drawings have picked up in the last few months alone and looks much like the level of the kindergartener's above. I didn't quiet follow the days of the week but I'm sure you've caught on quiet easily. With so many students, I think it must've been necessary. They always do a great job under your direction.
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/
Private Journal
Post a Comment