I've moved on to blogspot.com just like most of the others. The closing of aol journals precipitated that move.
I would never have moved otherwise. I liked it there.
For three years I've liked journaling at aoljournals. I liked my neighbors there... I liked what I learned from everyone there... I learned about blogging, and downloading pictures, editing the same, making videos, and posting them to the internet.
I learned that a friend can be someone you have never met in person. And that sometimes, you do meet them in person, and what a special friendship that is. I can see how online dating can lead to healthy, long-term relationships.
But I wasn't there for dating... I was there for writing, and for learning. AOL Journals was a venue for teaching as well, and you let me step into that place without a question.
There is trust there. Great trust. We found encouragement there, and pats on the backs, hands given in support, words expressed in entries and comments that made a difference to both the reader and the writer.
We discovered others living in pain, with grief, with horrible memories... and we sat at our monitors sharing the happy events as well, the births, the marriages, the family reunions, and graduations. We offered comforting words when others were too sick to walk, after their surgeries, before their surgeries.
We were there for people who didn't think they had a friend in the world, and when we felt the same way, they were there for us.
Every day (well, for me it wasn't as often), we came to our computers and went straight for our email alerts, reading the long list, picking and choosing the order in which we'd read them. Sometimes the list was long, and we had to make a cup of tea or coffee before we sat there. Sometimes we quickly clicked on a particular journal because we knew what was going on in that person's life, and we were following it. Other times, we'd see a familiar name that we hadn't heard from in a long time, and we'd be happy that they were still blogging.
Once in awhile we pondered when a blog went silent. Sometimes a family member would take a person's journal over and tell us what was going on, usually bad news. Other times, we would never know what became of him. We will just never know.
That's the territory we were in.
I hope that where this move takes me is as great a neighborhood as J-Land has been. That's why I'm calling my new blog A New Bridge. I don't know where it's taking me, I don't know how difficult it will be learning a new routine of posting, but I do know that it is going to take me to new territory, yet undiscovered by me. I hope you'll join me there...
http://anewbridge.blogspot.com/


10 comments:
Thank you so much, Bea for taking the leap into uncharted waters. A transition for most of us J-landers. This whole month will find me tweaking and trying new things, and hopefully I'll settle in by November.
Always, Rose~*
There's a lot to be said for exploring undiscovered territory.
I'm glad that you are continuing your journey.
All my best,
Beth
http://nutwoodjunction.blogspot.com/
I'm sure we'll all continue doing those things once we've settled into Blogger. And maybe we'll meet many more like-minded souls.
Good luck in your new home Bea.
B. x
Bea, Thank you for the help and comments these past three years. I especially appreciate all you did to find our friend Barry Bartle. Can't you just imagine how he would grouse about this move? It boggles the mind! I have enjoyed your writings, your humor, patience and many kindnesses during this time. Who knows, I may finally get the courage to join you all and start a blog of my own! To many years of procrastination. We shall see. Thanks again and bless you for the joy you have given to so many of us.
I'm rushing over to your new place now to plant my little icon on your new journal. Please visit me at http://mywayagain.blogspot.com/
Jude
I'm joining your new blog. i've been reading here just a little while and have enjoyed your journal i have a new blog over there if you want to put me on your Reading List http://karebear4x4.blogspot.com/....thanks for your new link~kbear
That was a beautiful final tribute to all of us who spent so many hours reading other peoples lives. I would never move either if I didn't have to. See you in the new neighborhood. Marlene
Heading over to see!
Martha - now at http://meandering-martha.blogspot.com/
Bea, I came by today to post a comment and found my AOL email box full of the news.
I'm glad I found out with enough time to pack my journal up and move it. Nothing like getting evicted from a journal... imagine that, a homeless blogger?
Boy, you could not change a word of what you just said. That final entry was perfect. BEAUTIFUL! Well said.
I posted again, if anyone knew of what happen to Raven, rebuke the world?
Bea, I've used Blog.spot for months. It's great. It has automatic draft save, lots of great features. So, your moving closer to my neighborhood. GREAT! Let's put the coffee pot on.
Maybe in time we can all rebuild our own little J-land. Isn't that what we Americans (and world) are really great at, rebuilding?
I'm gonna visit "A New Bridge" I love that name. Love it! Love it! Good thing you have it first, or I would have stolen it.
See you down river...
Love ya, Bea...
In Christ
River
email
riverorganization.org@gmail.com
Site
riverorganization.org
I have been across to look at your new journal Bea. I love the title. So apt..
It is just wonderful that we have all more or less managed to transfer across without too much trouble. I can't wait to get back into a routine of visiting all our JLand friends to catch up with their happenings.
I always leave your entries inspired and full of inspirational thought.
Thank you my friend. I always leave here with a fond smile.
Love
Jeanie xxx
Post a Comment