This weekend assignment from By The Way: What are some of the most recent music albums you have bought? Name up to three. Note that I said "bought" -- I want to know what music you've liked so much that you've actually shelled out cash for them.
Extra Credit: Did you buy these albums on CD, or did you get them online through iTunes or another music service? http://journals.aol.com/johnmscalzi/bytheway/entries/5856
Recent doesn't necessarily mean last week, last month, or last year, does it?
I haven't bought music this year, that I can recollect. However, I scanned my CD's to find what I "recently" bought, and it's definitely not mainstream.
Also, I have never bought music online. I suppose one day I will attempt it, but it isn't an area that I have explored since first learning about the opportunities and available treasures on the internet.
So, I'm down to naming just three, eh? I'll try without going into the history of my changes in music tastes over the past 35 years, which, indeed, there have been some major changes. I'll save those words for another entry, however.
Yanni's Ethnicity album is probably my most recently purchased album. I bought it at his Ethnicity concert tour in North Carolina about a year ago. A friend and colleague of mine from school attended it, and by the intermission, we were both applausing with tears in our eyes. The man makes beautiful music. One song is called The Promise. I don't know if you'll be able to hear it by clicking on this link or not, but give it a try. It's just a tiny sampling, not the entire song. Watching Yanni play his seven keyboards, and dancing as he directed his orchestra of musicians from all over the world, stirred my soul.
Another that I bought several years ago (I'm telling you, my definition of recent isn't measured by months) is Spirit: A Journey in Dance, Drums, and Song. There is a huge live production in the makings, but I didn't attend a live production. I found out about Peter Buffet when I tracked down the music CD for Dances with Wolves. One of the scores during the scene where Dunbar is dancing around his campfire, alone, as he misses his new friends, gave me chills. I discovered the song was not on the DWW CD. I was so disappointed. A few months later, I was watching a PBS show about Spirit: A journey in dance, drums, and song. I heard the same haunting tune, although slightly disguised in a slower rhythm... still, it was the same tune. And the dance production was awesome. I taped it. I love the sounds, drums and voices of the Native Americans lifted in song.
My favorite of the three, and one I listen to nearly every day is called Songs from the Potter's Field by Ray Bolz. My favorite is Give Me Your Hand, about a young man who slips and falls as he is climbing a mountain. He calls out for help. He hears a voice say "Give me your hand, I'll lift you up, don't be afraid, you just have to trust. I have been there, in the place you stand. There's no need to fear, that's why I'm here, give me your hand." The young man reaches out for him, and is rescued. When he asks his Savior what can he do for him in return, he is told just be there for the next person who comes along and needs your hand, and "There are many others to be saved." That's just a summary, but it's beautiful, in the lyrics, the tune, the instruments. The entire album is one any person who loves hearing stories of Jesus in modern day life put to song. Every song on the album is my favorite. Hey Little Brother is a meaningful retelling of the prodigal son. Never Lost has this helpful reminder for the chorus: "As we step into the next moment, or into eternity... never lost., He knows where you're going. Never lost, even though the wind is blowing. And there may be some stormy seas He says you must cross. But with Jesus by your side, you're never lost." Roar is aboutthe Lion of Judah and asks the question "Are you ready to hear the Lion of Judah roar?" The Potter's Field are the words "In the potter's field, love is truly spoken. Nothing is concealed 'cause everything is broken... in the potter's field..." Beat of the Drum makes me dance!
So what were your last three music purchases? Leave a link if you write about it, or you may leave a comment with your response. Name up to three.


2 comments:
I love Ray Boltz I don't have this album but from your discription it is one that I will be getting soon, as is the indian one. I too love to hear the indian voices raised in song. Their music is often hauntingly beautiful.
Barbara
nice selections Bea! thanks!
natalie
Post a Comment