You've been wondering when school lets out, haven't you? Here in NC, in my school district, yesterday was the students' last day... they came for half the day.
Tomorrow will be my last teacher workday. Am I excited? Oh, yeah!
Bittersweet, though, as Fitzzer noted in an email to me today. Happy for some time off, some time to recharge the old teacher's batteries, but sad because I'm not returning to the same school in the fall. I am going to miss the teachers with whom I have worked so closely with these past seven years.
Seven years of planning, worrying, laughing, crying, managing classrooms, attending workshops, and generally attempting to solve problems that arise each year within the classroom, within the grade level, within the school. Oh, yes, and teaching. That's life, after all. Always the school vision to keep in mind, and teachers to collaborate with, personalities that meld and others that clash. But always the understanding that we will work together for the students, to carry out that vision.
I know I will make new friends in the new school. I have no doubt about that.
Today the teachers presented me with a wide-matted photo of me with four of my fourth grade students, taken last week. Caroline, another teacher, had popped into my afternoon writing class, the same day we had had the writing test. I was reading out loud a book to the kids at the time, to take a break from the writing since they had already taken the test. It was a fun book, How To Talk To Your Dog, can't remember the author at the moment.
She walked in with a digital camera, told me she was going to take a picture, and of course we all said okay. The kids leaned in just a little closer than they had been sitting a moment before, and Caroline snapped the photo. Took two in fact.
Today, I remembered that day, and thought I should talk to her and try to get the digital copy onto my computer. I knew it had to be a great photo. All of us had smiled, and the kids are so photogenic.
But I never had time to talk to her about it, and forgot about it.
About 3:00, just moments after we completed an IEP meeting, in walks a teacher with a big smile on her face, and she holds out to me the framed picture I just describe at the start of this entry. There had been a meeting to recognize those teachers who would be leaving. I could not attend due to the IEP meeting that had already been scheduled long before the recognition meeting. Teachers had signed the mat around the photo with well wishes and best of lucks and other nice thoughts to keep me from forgetting them. I would never forget them!
But the photo...! I wish I could put it here for you to see. I cannot without violating the privacy of the students. Just know that I treasure the photo, and it brought tears to my eyes. Such a wonderful parting gift.
When you spend so much time with a kid, you cannot look at their picture and not miss them when you have moved on and away from them. I miss them already. I hear their voices saying my name.
I know in the fall, I won't be there to greet them and see in their happy eyes how glad they are to see me. Oh, that does a teacher's heart so much good!! I know the children feel the same way when they look into my eyes and see that I am happy that they are walking toward me, and into my life.
I take solace in knowing that there are kids at the other school who will probably need me even more than the ones I am leaving behind. I can't wait to meet them.
Even so, I am sad. I know I will get over it, but for now that's where I am, and that's where I will let my heart stay for a little while.


8 comments:
Bea,
I have so much respect and admiration for teachers. I can't imagine doing your job even for one day, and I hope you realize just what a profound impact you make on the kids.
Enjoy the time off - it goes by so quickly!
Hugs,
Gwynn
Aww...I'm glad you received such a nice tribute. I would expect no less! - K.
Deares bea,
Wow Im proud of you just by knwoing you!
Im glad that you got sucha touching momento Bea!
Congrats
love,nat
I hope you enjoy your time off. And I hope you enjoy your new school when you go back. It'll all work out. Seems that one way or another things always do, don't they?
Enjoy your evening.
Pamela
hugs!!!!
Becky
What a lovely, heartfelt entry... It's definetely bittersweet this time of year. Everyone is anxiously awating summer vacation ~ a time of relaxing and beaches, and picnics and free time... and yet it's a time for goodbyes at many levels. Some are moving away, others like yourself are moving on to new adventures. My girls are both going off to new schools after this year is over. One to junior high, and one to middle elementary... I'm staying put, with a new position to think about over the summer. I am really ready for summer, though. Now if only the sun will stay out!! HUGS! Michelle
{{{Bea}}} Gentle hugs, my friend. I know it's a sad time for you, saying goodbye to all those students whose live's you touched, and who touched yours. I could always tell what an awesome teacher you are, just by the things you would share with us, here, in Jland. The pictures, the activities, and the challanges you presented to not only them, but us. You even taught me many things here! You are never to old to learn! :)
You will be a wonderful teacher at your new school. You will make good friends, and the children will love you. You will leave a mark on their lives, just as you left one on everyone that you came in touch with at this school.
Just like the mark you leave on all of us, here in Jland..
Love to you, sweet Bea..
Jackie
Just to let everyone know, Bea, that you ARE an awesome teacher! I, for one, am going to miss you more than you know. I'll miss your cheery face, your wise advice and your encouraging hugs. Our school has lost a wonderful teacher and friend, but I know that God has awesome plans for you, and that your new school is going to benefit from having you with them. I am just grateful that we can email and phone, and visit if necessary. God bless, my friend! Caroline
Post a Comment