This week the big school event was the 5th grade dance, which was held directly after school was dismissed.
Our principal, yesterday morning during the awards program, had given the fifth grade students valuable words to take with them as they moved onto middle school. Showing a clip from The Wizard of Oz, she spoke about the qualities they would need to live their lives: perseverance, courage, compassion, wisdom, and the love of family and friends. Yes, with these in their hearts, they will go and do something good in this world.
Before they leave elementary school, however, they had to have their 5th grade dance.
Parents of the graduating class went all out for their fifth graders. Following the theme of "Hollywood," for which each and every student was honored with a star on the wall with their name on it, parents decorated the school gym with gold and white balloons, darkened the high glass windows with black paper, brought in a live DJ (a friend of the family, I think), and hired a local catering duo to provide tasty hot food. I was very impressed.
While the students changed their clothes, I drove home to let my dogs out. Some had brought something special and dress-up for the afternoon dance, but most wore what they had been wearing all day. By the time I returned to the dance event, they had already eaten and were in the gym on the dance floor.
Oh my! What I saw! Girls and boys dancing like I have not seen dancing. Nothing recognizable. I don't know what to call what two of the girls were doing. Very energetic, highly demanding postures, innocently suggestive. I may have seen that style a few years ago... Britney Spears I think. But what I've seen of her is not innocently anything. Maybe it's what they see when they watch music videos. I'm in the dark, you see, because I haven't watched a music video in possibly ten years. I should watch them just so I'll know where their influences come from.
I may be out of touch, but I'm uncomfortable with little girls dancing like that!
Although the girls were dancing like they had a figure to flaunt, the boys were very cool in their stepping, hopping, turning, flipping, and facial expressions. I’d say you would have to be an athlete to make some of the moves they made. The DJ guided them into dancing the usual line dances at one point, and even played one seventies tune.
After awhile, I left the gym seeking a cooler temperature and air flow. In the cafeteria I had a bite of the tasty catered food while I spoke with the two ladies whose talents created the meal. There were sweet and sour meatballs, lightly fried chicken nuggets, vegetables and dip, fruit and dip, cake, and iced tea. It was much better than the usual fare of hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, and sodas.
After I'd eaten, though, I regretted it. Something akin to indigestion continued until just about an hour ago. I'm sure it wasn't the food, but rather the problem I've been having with my stomach this week.
About 6:15 pm, the dancing stopped, the DJ took down his equipment. A large wide-screen TV was wheeled out onto the stage. A student-made slide-show was about to begin.
Before the slideshow began, however, all the students were herded out of the gym, and lined up alphabetically while parents and others set up chairs for viewing the slideshow.
The students were then introduced one by one as they re-entered the gym. One parent announced their birth names, their interests, and the middle school they would be attending (depending on where they live, they might go to SMS or HMS). When the student was introduced, he/she walked down the stairs onto the red "carpet" lighted runway. Parents could stand at the end of the "runway" to photograph their "star" as she made her walk in the spotlight of fifth grade fame.
I thought this was a special way of recognizing every student... not just the A-honor rolls, or the PE awards, the Music awards, or the Science Awards. To be in this spotlight, you just had to be a graduating 5th grader, and they were all that. Every student was honored for their unique, personal qualities. Very nicely done, parents!
The slideshow began after all the students were seated. Several students were introduced who had been working on it this week, putting together photos students had brought in. It was very cute. Cool, upbeat music had been added.
First, a baby photo of each student was shown, followed by a second or third photo of the student older. It didn't take long for the kids to recognize the pattern: baby picture, older picture, 5th grade picture. Within a minute, they were calling out in unison the names of their classmates as their picture appeared on the screen.
There was laughter, giggles, and gasps of surprise. I found it amusing that they were calling out a student's name when the baby picture was shown. There was clearly a great bond among these students, most of whom have been together since kindergarten.
What is particularly sad for them, though, is they know that they are being split up during their middle school years. Some will be attending HMS for three years, and some will be attending SMS for three years. The reality is that many of them will not see their best friends again until the 9th grade (unless of course there are home visits among them).
As I watched my students dancing and strutting their little stuffs, acting shy around each other except during the dance-off, I was happy for them. I was happy that they had completed their journey through elementary school. They will no doubt experience great anxiety about starting middle school, but they will persevere, and they will make it. They have what it takes to work with and around what life has dished out to them, and to succeed, whether because of it or in spite of it.
I knew the parents were happy, on the one hand, that this chapter of their child's life was over, and a new one was about to begin. However, as they stood watching their little ones, girls who no longer looked little in their heeled shoes, styled hair, and dance dresses and boys in their ties and dress pants, I'm sure they were thinking of the passing of time, and how the teen years were just around the corner.
I'd be worried if I didn't remember the wisdom that had been offered to them yesterday morning during the awards program!


8 comments:
Loved this entry! It's great how much is done at your school for these 5th graders. Are they moving on to middle school? Here, the elementary goes to 6th grade and the middle school is 7th and 8th. They have a sixth grade recognition (announcing names and walking in) and a breakfast, but nothing fancy. A dance would be fun!
Hope you are feeling better soon!! ;o) Michelle
Yes, here they go to middle school, which is 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. bea
:::tears:::
My baby "graduated" from fifth grade this year - on to the big, bad middle school next year, so I'm identifying with this entry.
Wow - the dance and special program sounds awesome. We had a "luau" type party for our fifth graders after lunch on their last day, but nothing as spectacular as this! That sounds great.
All of our kids will be together at the same middle school, but there is another local elementary that will be entering at the same time, so it will be a time of "new beginnings" for our kids as well.
My oldest will be a senior, my baby starting middle school. <SIGH> Where did the years go?
Hugs,
Gwynn
Boy times sure have changed since I was a kid. 5th grade sounds like so much fun! I'm surprised they were even dancing. We used to have "stand arounds" with the boys on one side of the gym, the girls on the other. Hope you're feeling better! Hugs, ~ L
WOW what a celebration! We didn't have that when we went into middle school. Neither did my son!
Pam
Oh, Bea.. you described it all so well, I felt like I was there!! :) I remember leaving 6th grade to start junior high (or middle school as it's called now), and I was terrified. I think they put kids in middle school at too young of an age! 6th through 8th, and then 9th thru 12th. The latter isn't bad, but the former is just not a good idea. 6th graders are just not ready to mingle with 8th graders! You change so much between the age of 12 and 14! I know I did! I guess I'm just old fashioned! lol
The kids dancing around must have been a sight to see! I do watch MTV on occasion (yes I'm a 52 year old kid at heart), but not so much for the videos as for the Reality TV stuff. I can't hang with RAP music, and that's about all they play on MTV. Now, VH1 on occasion will play some okay stuff... music I can tolerate. Neither one plays much music anymore, anyway.. it's all about everything but videos! lol
Hey! I just contradicted myself big time up there! lol In the first paragraph, I said I was old fashioned, and in the 2nd, I said I was a kid at heart! That's a Gemini for you! lol
Hugs,
Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Waitingtoexhale/
This is a great entry, Bea, and I love what they did for the fifth graders. There was probably some ceremony for us at the end of sixth grade, but I sure don't remember it. There certainly wasn't a slide show or individual bios (there were over 100 of us), and even ifthere had been a dance, we wouldn't have danced. Nobody danced at the junior high dances.
My friend Dan moved to another part of Manlius sometime after his mother died, whuch put him at Enders Road Elementary instead of Pleasant Street Elementary. We weren't all that close at the time, but really was a bit of a wrench to do without him for three years.
Karen
um tough call Bea about the new style of dancing.. I think it has to go wiht the rap culture but it is not fun to watch,etc.
I lvoe the way yuor shcool honored the kdis! Way to go!
amybe they should honor the teachers especially you!
love and hugs,natalie
Post a Comment