The nausea won't go away. It doesn't feel like a stomach virus anymore... everything I eat brings on waves of mild nausea. I've been meaning to go see the doctor. Tomorrow I'm going in for some routine follow-up blood work. Perhaps the doctor can fit me in then.
There is an awards program at school in the morning... I should be able to get back in time for it if I'm only getting the blood work done. Right now, I'm more interested in feeling better than watching kids get their awards. Normally, I'm all into the awards program, which we have every 9 weeks or so, but I haven't felt 100% since Saturday when the stomach thing hit me suddenly.
Could be a response to the end of the year? I'm winding down fast. But I feel like I'm getting everything done that needs to get done. And the kids are hanging in there, which is hard because testing is over and some have the attitude that there's no point to school if there are no more tests.
I got an idea from a Project Wild workshop for teachers two weeks ago. I enjoyed searching for bugs around the campus, and thought the students would too.
One reading activity I will fit in involves a brief study of common insects. We'll browse through some insect books I checked out of the library, and talk about what kinds of insects they expect to find around our school and why they are valuable to the environment.
Then I'm givng each of them a bug collector. That's a plastic container with a special viewing lid, vented, with tweezers and magnifying "glass". I bought them for a $1 each at the dollar store.
The students know how much I love to study bugs, and they like my bug collector containers that I keep in the classroom to temporarily house insects we find in the building throughout the year (we always release them after we look them up in the insect book).
After we go outside and collect a bug or two for them to study, we'll identify them, ask questions, talk about where we found them, what they saw as they looked. They'll write a description of the bug, where they found it, and what it was doing when they found it.
We'll let the bugs go, and the kids will keep the bug collectors. I want them to take them home and find bugs in their own yards to study. In this way I hope to encourage a healthy respect for insects, and instill a new response when they see one, to replace their usual response (that is, to step on them without asking any questions).
This will be an interesting activity that would incorporate reading, science, and writing. Something I don't do often enough since I am an EC teacher and my focus is generally reading, writing, and math. But that is going to change.
After all, this is a year of transformation for me!


6 comments:
That is such a cool thing to do!
I hope the doctor can get you in. Mine does a same-day thing, but only if you call the moment they turn the phones on the in the morning (8:30 AM), before all the appointment slots are filled.
Karen
I really think you had better go adn see if you are suffering from dehydrationa fter all of this illness can you tellus what happens?
nat
Could be stress - it can play with your whole system. Are your sinuses bothering you? Sometimes when mine act up I get nauseous. As crazy as it sounds, once I eat - esp. something spicy - it usually takes care of it. Hope you're feeling better soon. Hugs, ~ L
PS. The kids will love their bug collectors!
I know this is a busy time of year, but I hope you will do your best to be seen by a doctor soon.... I do the same thing, and wait, but this has been going on a while. Hopefully you were able to be seen today during your visit. The end of the year IS a very stressful time, and that could very well be it, but you need to be careful. Taking care of yourself is top priority! Be well, Michelle
Hmm..... Maybe your pregnant?? (JUST KIDDING...lol) I know you don't feel good, Bea, and that wasn't very funny, but I hope it brought a little smile to your face... I'll bet you just aren't completely over that virus. During the winter I got a stomach virus that kept my stomach queasy for weeks. Off and on. It was like I still had an appetite, but, my stomach would just get all yukky off and on. I didn't throw up any more, but, I just didn't feel like myself. I do hope you feel better soon!
The bug idea, is such a good one! You are such an awesome teacher, so full of good, fun ideas for your kids to participate in! I hope it does give them a healthy respect for bugs. I try to let the good ones go.. and I don't make a habit of killing them if they are outside where they belong. But, when they come inside my house (unless it's a moth, butterfly or lady bug) it's getting squashed! My bad?
Feel better soon, Bea!
Gentle hugs,
Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Waitingtoexhale/
Well, hopefully it is nothing serious......I know a few months back there was a virus going around here that actually did last a week! Bug had it.....and I had it. I think you have found a very fitting way to end the year with your kids! - Barbara
Post a Comment