Saturday, September 23, 2006

Desiderata...When was the last time you read it?

 

                  desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, 1927

 

 

*Desiderata is latin for things to be desired.

 

Here is a printable PDF version of the poem.

Here are some Wikipedia notes on this poem.

You can order a beautiful poster of this poem here.

 

I remember when it was a song in 1971 by Les Crane. Do you?Such beautiful lyrics for practical living.


Tags: ,

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, strategies for living, eh?
Maybe if I read it 99 times I might
be able to work myself into a secure
space. Kinda like trying to park a large
tractor into a space barely big enough
for a VW Bug. I'll try.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Nice. :)
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Love it! Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

I learned this poem at school years ago. It is a philosophy of life that is still appealing today. Thanks for reminding me of it.
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/

Anonymous said...

I have never seen this... Thank you for sharing it.  Stikes a chord for me at the moment!  Enjoy your weekend!  Michelle

Anonymous said...

Bea,
I sure did nead to read this today.... thank you...

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Bea, I love this!  I haven't read it for years.  It was exactly what I needed to read today!  Sorry I've been out of touch - things coming down to the crunch! Luvya, Caroline
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure

Anonymous said...

I've never read this one. LOVED IT! I especially liked :

But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

sooooooo true

Anonymous said...

There was a parody poster at Syracuse University in the 1970s.  I don't remember all of it, and some was very specific to S.U., but here's some of it:

Go placidly amid the JAPs* and the jocks,
And remember what peace there may be in drop/add forms.
As far as possible without surrender,
Be on good terms with your roommate.

...

You are a child of the University,
No less than the books and the desks.
You have the money to be here.

(JAP=Jewish American Princess.  A third of the student body was from the NYC area, many of them rich and jewish.  But i always hated the term.)

Karen

Anonymous said...

very beautifulbea! I am ,of course, familiar wiht it but I have not read it is awhile!
lots of peace of mind and spirit inside!
love you,natalie

Anonymous said...

Hello Bea~
I think we read this in an English class I took in 2004. I'm going to check out the link you left as I love his work: Max Ehrmann.

Thank you for posting this ;).
Gayla

Anonymous said...

I come across it time and time again, and repost it everytime.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry!

Anonymous said...

That is strong and very beautiful.  Thank you for sharing.
Lori
http://beta.journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages/