Journals Editor Jeff at Magic Smoke is passing on the weekend assignment normally given by John Scalzi, but since John is having some technical problems, he asked Jeff to post it at his site. The assignment question is "what were your favorite children's books?"
My favorite children's books from when I was a child, or my favorite children's books now? Were being a key word, I suppose he's talking about back then, when I was a kid.
I don't have any pictures of those favorite books. But I do have some favorites now, with picture above.
First, my favorites from long ago...
When I was a little child, my mother read to us the classics. At night, before we fell asleep. I don't know for how long she did this. Recently, I told her that I remembered her reading stories to us at night.
She said "I did?"
Not the response I expected.
"Yeah, mom, don't you remember?" I queried her. "You bought a set of the classics... that's what you called them. And you would read a chapter or two each night. When you finished a chapter, I would ask you to keep reading. And every night I would look forward to you reading another chapter. I could picture everything as you read. Don't you remember?"
Her surprised look and thoughtful gaze past my head told me she did not remember.
She had to remember! It was one of my fondest memories, something none of my other siblings remember. I wanted them to know that she did this for us,once upon a time. When we were very small. Before any of us could read.
"Mom, you have to remember... Black Beauty.... Swiss Family Robinson... the one about the girl who lived in the Alps with her grandfather...Heidi..."
Mom just grinned. "Well if you say I did, maybe I did. That was a long time ago."
"Well, mom, I just wanted you to know that those stories are the reason I came to love reading. I loved those books. I'm so glad you took the time to read them to us."
But mom had seven children. She was always busy doing something... she probably didn't read to us out loud at bedtime for long... there was always a baby in the house after I was born until after the seventh baby was born.... for eleven years my mother had a baby in the house, along with a toddler or two. Maybe she didn't read to us out loud at our bedtime, but then, who did?
Was it my imagination, then? Could this fond memory of my mother reading to us at bedtime when I was very young be a distortion of time? Maybe what I really remember is me reading to myself... which means I wasn't very small. I would have been at least in fifth or sixth grade to be able to read such classics.
When I think about it, would a five year old really listen to and understand the words from these books, enough to visualize the story, enough to really appreciate them? I guess it's possible. Just hearing one's mother's gentle and melodic voice at a time of day when you are about to drop off to sleep is probably enough to create warm childhood memories.
Hmmmm, now I'm beginning to wonder if my childhood memories have all been remolded in my mind to accommodate images that I treasure most. Like of mothers reading to their youngsters.
Just for the record, for my son's memories, that really was me reading out loud to you, son. I remember all your favorite books, and when you outgrew them, I didn't give your favorites away. I saved those for your own children one day. I still have them, the fragilest ones are packed away, and the sturdier ones are in my classroom, charming more minds and hearts.
I would have saved them all had I had an inkling that I would become a teacher later in life. When I think of all the Zoo Books and Ranger Ricks that I gave away! And all those story books I bought... my first and second graders would have loved them all.
Favorites today? Chris van Allsburg books, as I've mentioned in previous entries.
And the following of some familiar authors, maybe some not so familiar titles. I'm not going to write a blurb about each book tonight due to the time, but will come back tomorrow to edit this entry with more info about each title. I'm fighting off a cold this evening, so please forgive me!
The Master Puppeteer by Katherine Paterson.
Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. A lame girl, shunned by her people when her mother dies, is taken from her familiar homeplace to live amongst a ruling class. They want her for her creative weaving skills. She gains privileges, and life seems to be an improvement until she begins to learn the truth about her world. The title refers to her search for the plant that will produce the color blue, a rare color among the people she is forced to live with and work for. If you read and enjoyed The Giver, you will also like this book.
Fish by L.S. Matthews. The curiosity behind this book is the question: Is Tiger, the story's child protagonist, a boy or a girl? It doesn't seem to matter in this story about Tiger and his/her English family as they flee a war-ravaged land, seeking safety and rescue for themselves. They do not leave until the last possible moment, making sure that all the other villagers have fled first. With their lives in danger, they are joined by the mysterious Guide and his donkey. Tiger rescues a little fish from the mud pond before the little group treks across the dry and desolate, mountainous landscape. The survival of the fish, reflecting their own struggle to survive the events that threaten their lives, becomes a primary concern as they are driven to reach their destination. Hope is the theme of this story.
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. Kate might be interested in this tale because the author borrows bits and pieces of Greek history and location to tell the story of a young man, a thief, who must steal a treasure, or die. Gen sets out on the quest with a small band of companions, and along the dangerous way he learns about their skills, and they learn something about him. By the end, the reader receives the greatest gift: a well-turned story! It's for the young adult, but I must say I enjoyed it very much. I'm ordering the sequel to it today, despite the fact that I read The Thief two years ago. Ms. Turner is a clever writer.
These selections are not really written for the 8-10 year old, but possibly the older teenager. They need a good selection to choose from as well. The above are excellent choices for teens. More tomorrow.


15 comments:
My childhood favorite books:
Dot and the Kangaroo (Australian author's name??)
Rabble in Arms, by Kenneth Roberts, American.
(About the American Revolution) Read when I was 13.
(1) Iron Heart & (2) Down the Colorado in a Canoe
both by Henty (forget first name).
Great Expectations, first read when I was 15
The Virginian, by Owen Wister. (Earliest Edition
maybe best.)
Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/
Congrats!!!
Deb
wonderful entry Bea! you wander from title to title! I get it! (nods seriously):):)
bows :)
love you Bea!
natalie
Well, I don't remember being read to, so maybe it all evens out. But I used to tell my mom about some key memory from my childhood, and she'd say, "Where was I when all this was going on?" The same events have different levels of significance for different people, so some may remember what others don't!
Congrats on your ViVi! :o)
Lisa
Congratulations on your VIVI win, Bea, well done - well deserved.
Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip
CONGRATS on the Vivi!!!!
Hugs, Sugar
Congratulations on winning your VIVI Bea. You deserve it. I love your journal!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
A sincere congratulations on you being a VIVI award winner. You are now another person who's journal I follow to have won. I have in my mind all the people that I find fascinating whether they were in contention or not. My main area is art and I use photography as a technical aid in the creation but do not want to just 'copy' a photo. My instructor at college helped me greatly to understand how not to make the mistake of 'graying out' by sticking to just copying a photo in pen and ink. The winner in the Photo category is someone I hold in great esteem and is deserving. I also hold several other's in the same esteem and could not say one is greater than the other. However, Greg's approach to educating photographers' and his personable communication is deserving of acclaimation. I do not know which category you won in but I am taking it that it is in the 'Educational' category? I find your journal to be a joy to read and learn greatly from your writing skill. I think you are in a professional sense someone deserving of having achieved an educational ability that should be recognized as outstanding by your peers' and administration. mark
Dr. Suess, The Hardy Boys, Ashop's (spelling?)Fables, A book about a burning Phoneix, Mad Comics, lol , and some books from my early childhood that I can only get a mental glimse of. mark
Congrats on winning the VIVI award...enjoy!
~Debbie
Congratulations on your Vivi and well deserved!
Dianna
Congrats on winning the VIVI! I love this post, especially your musings about memory and childhood. Memory is sort of like a coffee filter. You grind the beans, put them in the filter, add water and presto, coffee! But the beans are no longer present, and there are no grounds in the coffee, (they rest in the filter) but the liquid in the pot is the essence of the original coffee beans. If this makes no sense, please remember that I am a self-confessed nut case. By the way, you also made me think about my favorite books as a child. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline Engle, the entire Tarzan series, Grimm's Fairy Tales, the Nancy Drew series, the Cherry Ames series, okay, I had a lot of favorites!--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/
Thankyou for your comment on my journal Serendipity ,Ihave just read and enjoyed your entry and will be back ,I love books too as a result of being read to as a child ,....love Jan xx
I read incessantly to deal with trauma. When I went away to school and had access to more books, I would read a book a day until those around me became alarmed and tried to stop me. I read until I could not turn my eyes from side to side without pain. But at home, my mother had bought many classics, which she did not read, but I did. I was always grateful for those books, which included the short stories of Guy deMaupassant, Turgenev, Fathers and Sons, Droll Tales by Balzac, a big leather bound book of Mark Twain's works, collected stories of O'Henry, Penrod by Booth Tarkington, Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (which I read as soon as it came out when I was 8--probably the most influential book of my childhood) Grimm's Fairy Tales, Kipling, Robert Louis Stevenson, Edgar Allen Poe, Chekhov short stories, Tolstoi's Anna Karenina, I read a lot of adult novels as a child, I was so desperate for answers to my problems. I also loved animal stories and read every one I could get my hands on. Read a lot of Zane Grey who wrote about the country where I lived. My mother sold pocket books. I read them all except Erle Stanley Gardner. He was about the only author I met I didn't read. I learned the technique of sliding my book under a chair and grabbing a broom when my parents appeared outside, so they would find me busy instead of reading. I also read all the church magazines everybody had. I really earned the name, "Bookworm!"
Post a Comment