Monday, February 5, 2007

Retiring Principal and Students' Writing Improves!

BRRR! So cold outside today, but not near as cold as it is in the northern states. But I did have to leave my water running (a steady slender stream) in my little classroom to prevent the pipes from freezing since temperatures are expected to be around 20 tonight. Sounds like a waste of water, and the school will have a water bill to pay, but that must be much less costly than repairing bursted pipes.

I heard some rather unhappy news (for our school) today... at our staff meeting our principal announced she indeed was going to retire at the end of this school year. She's been teaching, vice-principaling and principaling for forty or more years, and she wasn't too happy to tell us that she was leaving. There have been health concerns with her husband, he's been declining in this condition, he needs a daily caregiver now, and she wants to be the one to take care of him. She has grandchildren to spend time with, and the rest of her family... it is a good reason to retire. If anyone deserves it, this woman does. I'm happy for her in that regard.

I've only just gotten to know her. She was elected Principal of the Year in our school system for 2006-2007, and has an outstanding reputation in the educational realm here in NC. I am proud to be working in her school. She says it's our school, that the teachers and staff made this school, not herself. She is a modest woman as well.

I also heard some exciting news earlier today. Well, for me it was very exciting. Teachers live to hear good news about the students they teach. They love to hear that their students were excelling in some area, that they behaved especially well for the substitute, or on a field trip. We find ourselves beaming with pride, and taking just a wee bit of credit for the good that they do. We are not far from acting like parents, at times.

One fifth grade teacher, as she passed me in the hall today, was all smiles as she approached me. "You are going to be so surprised when you see how they did on that writing test!" she tried to whisper, only it came out a little stronger than a whisper. I was overjoyed!

                                               

My fifth grade students, who took the writing test two weeks ago, did very well it seems. Of the eight who are in my writing class, three have passed, two were only one point from passing it, and the rest earned a higher score than the last time they were tested. There is going to be another writing test in April I believe. I hope by then I will have given them the instruction they need to write a persuasive essay.

I asked their regular ed teacher what had she noticed about their writing this time ... what had improved the most since their previous test? She replied that their writing had more structure this time. They were weak in the use of conventions (capitalization,spelling,and punctuation), though, and that will hurt a fifth grader.

Yes, I did beam a little myself today after hearing the good news. Can't wait to tell my students tomorrow!

 

I don't know to whom I should credit the smile frog. Do you? He came to me in an email last year, and I thought he was too cute. If you know where it came from, let me know so I can add the link or at least the credit of its creator! Thanks. bea

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Bea!  I think you must be a great teacher!  Your words speak of the love you have for each of your students and your dedication to your craft.  I think that's a wonderful thing.  Wish there were more like you out there!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea,
You're freezing at 20 degrees?  At the moment, it's -2 degrees in Chicago which always makes big news.  The city's warming centers power up and the news media warns of the danger of air this cold on exposed skin.  It makes the news because Chicago doesn't generally have weather extremes. For people who watch the show "E.R.", you must think it snows all winter here.  We'll have usually one, maybe two big snows (5-8 inches) and a few minor sprinkles, then that's it. It only occasionally will snow in December, so we rarely have a white Christmas. I think it's the lake (Michigan). Our proximity to it moderates the weather. I have no scientifc basis to back that up; it's just my opinion.
Deb

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for you and your students; that is such great news! You must be so proud of them. I am sorry to hear about the principal retiring; it seems she has certainly made an impact in the community and that she will  be missed by the teachers and students.
Have a good week!
Maria

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea, here in Central Pennsylvania it is 30 below with windchill.  I sure wish it would warm up to 20 degrees, LOL.  

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Great job Teach!  And the Frog is darling.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to your head teacher on her retirement Bea. And well done to your students for doing so well. You deserve a star yourself and a lot more for the great job you do!
Kate.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/AnAnalysisofLife/
http://journals.aol.co.uk/bobandkate/20062007-journal-index/

Anonymous said...

Well done. Your students have done you proud! It is always satisfying to hear good results from your students as it makes all the hard work worthwhile. Love Conniex

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea.  Sorry to hear about your Principal retiring.  It's hard to lose a respected educator, even if it is better for them.  I'm sure she will leave behind footprints!  And congrats to your smart students. : )  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear you have
received acknowledgment for
your huge efforts. Acknowledgment
is so vital to the success of any enterprise
from family to school to the world
outside our immediate sphere.
Without you everything would collapse!

Barry

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a great lady and a principal who will be missed.  I hope they fill her position with someone as good.  And congratulations to our students (and to you!)!
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

Anonymous said...

How nice to get proof your teaching is having an effect.  Your journal entries are so well comosed they are a pleasure to read so you are a very good example.  I remember I actually treasured the toughest teachers in school, the ones who gave me such a good foundaion in sentence construction it stood me in good stead all throughout college  Boy, did she drill us It was a college prep class in English.   Gerry
http//journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/

Anonymous said...

Congratualtions Bea! you are such an awesome person! And educator!
I knwo that the kdis do so well becasue youc are so much! Im sorry that your principal is leaving!
love,nat