Saturday, February 3, 2007

Snow Day photos two days late.

Two days late, but proof that we did have a milder form of the winter weather this week. It was expected to be much worse throughout the day, and so schools were closed here for students on Thursday.

                                 

These two photos show the kindergarten and preschool playground. Wouldn't the kids love to be playing in it now?

                                  

I don't know when the playgrounds were built, but they've been there awhile. What a treat for them to play in this miniature town!

 

                                    

See, it did snow for a few hours, but by 2:00 it had turned to slush by the rain.

                                                        

Evidence that there was not much traffic into my classroom this day. I love teacher workdays as much as I love to teach. It was a quiet and peaceful time to catch up on organization and paperwork.

By 1:30, our principal had announced that she was locking upthe building and turning on the alarm at 2:15, so everyone had to leave by 2:00. She didn't have to tell me more than once. I locked my door at exactly 2:15 and drove home feeling at ease.

The roads had not yet turned icy, as the weatherman had predicted. It would have been a safe day for the buses to be on the road afterall, but there was no way anyone could have known how things would have turned out. I'm not complaining. I did get a teacher workday out of it!

                                   

Back home, I could see that the snow was rapidly melting, so I snapped this picture at the top of our driveway. I remember when the street would have been lined with snowmen and snowforts on days such as this. But alas, the kids in our neighborhood have grown up and gone to college or gotten married. There are other kids, the newest neighbors, but they aren't old enough to be outside on their own on such nasty days.

One time I came home from school on such a day, a few years ago, and as I approached my driveway, I could see a well assembled snowfort on the side of the road, in the snow-covered grass. I slowed down because I saw a peek of legs and a quickly ducking head. I knew who it might be, and so I gave her what she wanted. As I drove by the fort, she jumped up from behind the fort and pelted my car with snowballs! Laughing the whole time. I was laughing too, knowing the fun she had all day long building that fort and anticipating my coming home from school. Just so she could throw a few snowballs at me.

I miss that!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you had a snow day before us!!  Usually we have at least 5 by now and we haven't had ANY!!!  Very weird for CT!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the playground at your school!  That is the neatest thing!  I love teacher workdays as well.  They are so relaxed and welcome and you can accomplish so much!  We had a snow day as well, but the teachers didn't have to go in.

Amber

Anonymous said...

That playground is fantastic !  And I love that big map of the US...I'm up there in the far left hand corner, down to the right of that finger of water (Puget Sound) that winds down into the state below British Columbia.  Snow is so pretty but can be so ugly to navigate.   Linda in Washington

Anonymous said...

That is a very cool playground for the kids.  The US map reminds me of one that was at a nearby school off of Robin Hood Rd, when I was growing up.  I remember taking my girlfriend there (now my wife) because I told her I would drive her to California.  So I parked on California...she got a kick out of that.  You got a bit more snow than we did.  Our grass didn't even get covered up.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I just love those pictures.  That playground looks like so much fun; wish our kids had such a thing.  Glad you had a day to get some "teacher" things done, and that the roads weren't too bad.
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos!  I remember snow days as a child....we always enjoyed them so much.  An un-expected holiday for us!  Wonderful!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

I love that little town!  I wish I could visit Syracuse (or rather Manlius) just for a day or so every fall and every winter, to see the leaves and the snow without having to deal with that lousy weather on a regular basis.  But it's a long way from Tucson, so I haven't been back in twenty years now.

Anonymous said...

lovely entry Bea!
thank you!
nat