Get ready: this week's Monday Photo Shoot:
Finally, I have a picture to add to John Scalzi's Monday Photo shoot!
This was one of those once in a lifetime opportunities that I jumped on when it was offered.
Two years ago, a Math and Science Program called STARBASE came to our school, my former school, I should say. As part of its week-long events of science experiments that culminated with the building and launching of rockets (each 4th-5th grade student had their own rocket to build and launch), the National Guard flew in on their Blackhawk helicopter.
After all the more than 300 students climbed in and sat in it, (which took several hours of the guardsmen's time), the 4th and 5th grade teachers, including yours truly, were flown up and over the school, and over neighboring towns, villages, and cities. It was the most exciting adventure I have ever had in school!
I took nearly a hundred photos that day, and several from the air, of course. I wrote several entries about it that week, but here's a link to the entry I wrote describing the helicopter ride, the National Guard pilots, and other crew members who kept us safe that day.
As you can see here, I was totally and unabashadly excited about the BlackHawk ride. Here I am with one of the crew as we approach the helicopter, waiting for us on a nearby baseball field.
I wouldn't even have this picture to remind me of how I felt had it not been for my best friend, Alyson, who showed up with her digital camera and snapped it from afar. I am so glad she took this one. I wish I could tell you the name of the handsome young National Guardsman walking with me there, but I don't remember his name. I'm telling you, I was so pleased and proud to be going up with them.
This is an aerial view of my then school, taken from the helicopter ride, in September of 2005.
Like I said, the details of this day and event are already written in a previous entry. I'm not going to fill this entry any further.
Let the pictures tell the story.


17 comments:
That is too cool!!!! The Blackhawk is an awesome helicopter, and I would love to have that opportunity some day. Thanks for sharing your experience with us grounded folks.
Greg
WOW, Now these are winners! :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/ Tracy
I can see your excitement as you are getting ready to take the ride. Those are some great photos! mark
Wow how cool is that??? I am envious of you,Bea!Thanks for the photos! Shauneen
That is way too cool!! Great pictures and what great memories!
Lori
beautiful Bea!
thanks so much!
love,natalie
Your digital shot of your "then school"
2005 is sharp and colorful and quite
wonderful: you either 'zoomed in' or the
plane or helicopter took you close.
This shot of yours happens to echo off
an email I received two days ago from an
old friend of mine, a professional photographer.
He bragged that from the Fuji blimp he shot
"masterpieces" that Fuji paid him to take.
Golf tournament shots to be published in
Sports Illustrated, double page spreads.
And he's older than I am.
His camera, more boasting, has 16.7 megapixels.
His subject, Pro tour golf tournaments.
The digital camera I just bought has only 4.2
megapixels. So he's four times better? plus
he has a blimp. How can I compete?! Ha ha ha.
In short, you took a great shot!
Barry
I'd hate to throw up on a nice soldier.
that would be an exciting adventure! :) and great choice for this photo shoot. glad you stopped by and commented.
gina
Wonderful pictures and what a great experience! Lucky you!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
PS. thanks for faithfully stopping by my journal and leaving your comments. I really do appreciate them...and you!
Great shots, thanks for sharing. B. x
I personally think I would have fainted because I have a severe fear of height, but really enjoyed your photos and am glad you enjoyed the experience!
Here is my submission:
http://journals.aol.com/rjet33/CountryLivingSouthernStyle/entries/2007/02/23/lets-try-this-again/787
Blessings!~
Susan
P.S. Sorry I haven't been around in a long while. Been busy and ill. ::sigh::
That is so cool and yes, the national guardsmen looks very handsome! lol. Love ya, Shelly
I hate to fly but would have done it also. How neat was that. Thanks for sharing.
Julie
Oh I would of soooo jumped at that chance too! What a day to remember huh??
Kimberleigh
So very cool! See, that's the kind of adventure I'd like for next weekend- something I wouldn't normally get to do or see. I'm glad you did and saw!
What an adventure. And I love the photo for John Scalzi's photo shoot. You have got us all beat. When I saw it I was shocked, and thought how in the world did she get that picture. Then I read further.... I took one at night out of my window and only the green window sill took and the rest was black with a few tiny lights shining. I was disappointed! By the way I wished i had picked a more colorful screen name but I had had this for a long time before I even knew about the journals. Gerry http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/
Post a Comment