Sunday, February 4, 2007

A surprise meeting of families

Saturday:

I slept late today. Blame it on the horrendous headache I had when I went to bed last night. I had taken a PM headache tablet, which so thoroughly helped me to sleep that I slept right up until 11:00 a.m. this morning. 

I woke up guiltily, still with said headache, realizing that though I had planned to help with clean-up at our church's community breakfast, I had completely missed it. I could only hope that there were enough people there to do the job. I don't usually miss these fundraising breakfasts, but bright lights and loud noise would only have made it worse for me.

Sometime during the day, the headache disappeared. Just in time because I got a phone call from my student teacher. Her parents had driven in from Maryland, and they wanted to take me and my husband out to dinner while they were in town. Of course, I was delighted at the prospect of meeting her parents. There was much I could tell them, of what a good teacher she will be, and already is.

I told her we'd meet them at the Outback at 7:00, and then went into high gear (while the headache was away on leave) to find some photos I'd taken with my digital camera. I wanted to print out the pictures of their daughter teaching in my classroom. I knew she would have some stories to tell them, and the pictures would be make fine visuals.

I found quite a few, taken in various classes throughout the past two months. I knew she would love them. I had been promising to email them to her, but always it seemed to slip further down on the list of things to do. Today I did it.

We met at the restaurant, and were seated within 15 minutes (it helps to call in ahead). Her family is not so different from ours. In fact, though they live in MD, both her parents were born and raised right here in NC. We spent 2 1/2 hours talking, maybe ten minutes eating. We talked about children, teaching, winter weather, city vs country living, and their daughter, my student teacher.

My favorite moment came when J showed the pictures I'd taken to her mother. As her mother scanned each 4X6 photo, I watched her face. I knew what she was feeling as a mother. Her daughter, far from home, about to graduate, is interning in school. She must be so proud. She gazed at one photo of J in a teaching moment, and said with a hint of surprise, "Oh, she looks so grown up here!" Her husband leaned in to look.

I smiled. Just like parents. They see their baby daughter where I see a budding teacher. They let her go far from home to seek her life and I welcomed her into my classroom to practice what she had learned in school. They were going to see their daughter in a new light after this weekend visit.

I did tell them how well she was doing, and shared a few stories. They shared some stories too, of when she was a little girl and how she played at being the teacher with her stuffed animals. We laughed a lot tonight. My husband spoke with J's dad and mom, I spoke with J and her sister. There was lots of talking across the table... J's mother is going to school to be a special ed teacher too. She will graduate a year after her daughter. This is a story of a mother following in her daughter's footsteps!

So much talking, so many stories, and through it all, Ms. J enjoying having her family with her again.

It was 9:30 pm before we decided it was time to go. I could have sat there longer talking with them... they seemed like the kind of folk you'd love to have for neighbors and friends.

It's hard not to feel like a mom in this situation, but there is not much difference in being a mom and being a teacher. A mom doesn't have to create lesson plans with focus and objectives... not in a formal sense. And usually a mom doesn't have to manage a classroom of 7 or more students (up to 25). But when a teacher meets her student-teacher's family, it's very hard not to feel like a mom.  In fact, it's the only way I know how to feel when I'm not in the classroom (and sometimes when I am)!

I wasn't thinking professionally at the time, and so, I hugged them all goodbye.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your headache, but Wow! what a wonderful surprise for you.  You know, that says a lot about you that J's parents wanted to take you and your husband out to dinner.  She must value you just as much as you value her, and her parents must be so proud of her and glad she has you as her mentor!  I loved this entry!
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you headache finally went off and that you were able to share a lovely evening with this girl and her family. Wow...Outback...I have heard so much about that restaurant and would love to eat there one day!  How lucky for this girl that she was able to teach in your class under your tutelage!  I'm sure her parents appreciated it very much as well as the thoughtful photos you took to share with them.  How wonderful!  You are a real treasure, but then, I expect you already know that!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all had a lovely visit, Bea.. :)   The hug sounds quite appropriate to me!

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry, Bea.  It shows your heart - you have the true gift of loving others the way Christ wants us to love.  You constantly give of yourself, without a thought.  You love to think of what would be best for the other person, and you go all out to do it. You are such an inspiration. As I've said before, this student teacher is so blessed to be in the classroom with you.  I can see that she is going to leave with confidence and the knowledge that she has been fully prepared for the classroom.  God bless you, my friend!  ~ Caroline  ~

Anonymous said...

aawww glad your headache was gone and you could enjoy...  your entry got me teary eyed... wonderful.. just wonderful
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

A severe headache can create such an appreciation for the interlude of peace that follows How great that your meeting of families should follow and that you could "feel" the meeting from so many views.
Patrick    

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're headache left so you could have an enjoyable evening.  Linda in Washington state        

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely evening and I think the hug was highly apppropriate.  I'm certain that it gives her parents such peace to know that she is in good hands.--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/