I came across this video clip at another website. So funny! But really, there are many people out there who are totally unfamiliar with technology, and they do need assistance figuring out what seems so simple to someone who has mastered it.
I don't claim to have mastered the technology now sitting at my fingertips, but when I look back at what I knew about the internet and computers as recently as two years ago, it's incredible to see what I have learned since then.
I have had to request help from Helpdesk many times at school, and then of course, here at aol, there are the aol service people.
I can remember the first time we bought a computer, when my son started middle school (about 1991), and we used it only as a word processor. It was an old dinosaur, a used one. I remember learning the program, how to save, move copy, change fonts, print, name files, etc.
Then, in June of 1997, we bought a brand new computer, and went online for the first time. I got to play on it for the summer, until my son took it with him to college. I had to settle for the dinosaur, which I had mastered by the time 2005 rolled around. That's when I purchased my own brand new HP computer and printer, and my husband paid for the online connection.
I remember how strange it all was in the beginning ... hot links, pop ups, surfing the net, junk email, saving favorite websites, creating files, and storing information I might need for all my areas of interest. Then I became aware of blogging, aol journals, reading them, and then creating my own (in the beginning I had named it ant farm analogies). It became a part of my daily routine. I'd go about my life, and anytime I'd have a question, I'd sit down at the computer, do a quick search, and find an answer. Since I had dial-up, searches took forever! I couldn't wait until high speed became available in our area.
With high speed, I could move about faster. Searches were quicker. School work was faster. I wasn't hesitant to click on icons and hot-links and find out where they took me. I sent out email to people I hadn't met in person, and I wasn't afraid to add people to my alerts.
The problem was that while I was searching, I'd find myself wandering from one topic to the next as new questions arose. I realized that I was wandering wherever my thoughts carried me (hence, the present name of this journal).
I'm more cautious now. Mostly, I've become accustomed to the finest people who journal here, and I understand why it is called a community. I enjoy the interactiveness and the connectedness of the process of journaling, reading other's journals and commenting, and reading and responding to the comments left in my own.
What I enjoy doing most is adding tags, pictures, and videos to my journal. I didn't know how to do that as recently as 18 months ago.
I do worry about the limitations of my computer, though. I don't know what adding videos to my journal, or those thousands of pictures and tags that I've saved on my computer will do to its performance. There is no doubt that since I first began this activity, downloads take longer. From time to time I do delete cookies, and clear the cache, and even defrag the hard drive. But if there is anything else I need to do to keep my computer running smoothly, and quickly, I don't know what it is.
If you'd like the link to this Norwegian masterpiece, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRjVeRbhtRU


8 comments:
The video is delightfully humorous; I'm still laughing! I remember my first experience with a computer back in 1988. It was an Apple IIC. I was so worried that I was going to break it. Look how far we've come!--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/
You and me both Bea! I'm still plugging away on a second hand PC with Windows 98. On Dial-up. No High Speed here. Don't know that we could afford it. I seldom even try to watch video, as it is just too frustrating to be worth the effort. But yes, I've learned a lot in the three years we've had a PC. Mostly AOL taught. - Barbara
It's amazing how far we have come in regards to technology, isn't it? That video was awesome! It made me really think about how different it must have been for man to go from writing their thoughts on the walls of caves, to reading a scroll and then to the book. How strange it must have all been.
I can't believe how much I have learned about computers since I purchased my first one in 1997. My oldest son set it up for me, and I just sat there, as excited as a child at Christmas time! AOL's welcome screen opened up, and it led me to a whole new world!
I've been a happy camper ever since! :)
Great enry, Bea! Interesting to learn why you call your journal "The Wanderer." :)
Hugs
Jackie
It is amazing how much you learn about IT just by doing it. I have learnt so much over the years. Mu mum went to classes at age 82! She loved the computer. Love Conniex
Gee willikins I'm gosh sure glad Mom
birthed me with a stolid sense of
peasant humor. That man with the
book in front of him, paralysing his God
given analytical powers, is me. Yes, Me!
I'm tempted to conclude you read my
"exhaustion" when facing a tiny, new,
supposedly elementary digital camera,
after virtually a lifetime of familiarity with
all kinds of makes and models of film cameras.
I MUST call Jules, the professional photographer
longtime NY friend of mine (Shoot Avedon, another
friend, is dead; he was perhaps the most famous
photographer in the world and I knew him will,
and went on location with him and his staff
several times. All, A L L the technical details
of shooting and printing was done by Avedon's staff;
out in a small boat, in surf, in Florida, he asked me if I
could change the film for him! So I did!***) ...call Jules
and at least get the basics: why do digital photos
tend to look as if everything has been made midget-
sized?! Can, truly, all the magic of Leica lens parameters
now be bunkum?! And, why on earth has Kodak just
released a new color film called "Ultra color?!" My
intuition is that digital color is too '1947 Technicolor,'
colored! Ha ha ha ha. But, alas, I have none of Avedon's
artistic, humanistic empathetic, highly sophisticated
graphic skills, and, I have no staff, just an aged cranky
Pro in NY who, if I flatter him, just might give me the poop.
*** ...he was also flattering me so I'd super-cooperate
and not be scared of capsizing.
Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/
Barry, LOL!! Just play with the camera! Pretend it's a toy, and you'll figure it out. The beauty is that you don't have to worry about wasting film, and you don't have to print anything. You can download onto your computer, and presto... delete all those you don't want, crop the ones you do, and enhance them in any number of ways, depending upon your photo program, of course. I don't know what you can do to hurt your digital camera... I have dropped mine several times, and it still works. It's nearly three years old, and serves me well. Not professional quality, but certainly good enough for my needs as a teacher and family member. I used a combination of playing with the camera and reading the directions... oops, I forgot, men don't like to read directions. .... generally.... <grin>... at any rate, play with the darn thing and discover it's potential. Have fun! bea
About the only thing I think is worthwhile besides defraging and deleting cache is correcting the registry which is constantly getting changed into a configuration that is not optimal for the computer. The first year I paid for a program that I don't think I even got the 'updates' for like I did for the spyware program I paid for a year. Now I use the AOL beta virus protection and firewall. For my registry I use a free program that is available at the PC World Magazine site. External and internal hard drives are real bargains now and that would allow you to clean up your main HD by moving files thus making it run faster. I do like the journals and it is where I spend the majority of my time on the Internet. I have not been able to sit on the uncomfortable stool that is needed currently due to the location and height of my computer table or even at my comfortable drawing chair and have been reading on my board for my back. It is not the quantity of the time spent in the journals but the quality of the time. I know more about individuals personally and our conversations are a process of long term familiarity. Just like my reading it expands my mind making me a richer person. My dial up will not let me view the video unfortunately. mark
Technology is certainly fun though personally I try to avoid getting too attached to the "latest and greatest" technology level. I still own a functioning 8 Track player and pop in some 8 track era tape like "Three Dog Night" just to remind me we are just consumer pawns in the bigger picture. <GRIN>
Patrick
Post a Comment