Saturday, February 17, 2007

While I was away

Yesterday, she wasn't my student teacher. Yesterday, she was the paid substitute teacher!

She taught my classes the entire day while I attended a training workshop at Elon University.

For both of us, it was a first-time experience. I must say it was a successful experience for her.

When I returned to my classroom at 2:40, just as the kids were loading on the buses to go home, I found her in the classroom beaming. That made me smile.

Then we sat down and she gave me an overview of how the day went. There was one incident where a student had to be sent to the office for throwing things, but other than that, she reported it went well. Even my fifth graders had stayed on task when she followed my lesson plans for the reading and writing group.

Eventually, we got around to planning for next week, or at least a partial plan. Sunday we will do the majority of planning. I had a 4:30 hair appointment yesterday, so I had to leave earlier than usual on Fridays.

She said before I walked out the door, "This is the first day I didn't feel tired by the end of the day!"

I thought for a moment, and replied, "And this is the first day you didn't have me observing you, making suggestions, asking questions,and generally just being around most of the time. That can be quite stressing, day after day. I'm sure that has something to do with it."

She smiled, hesitant to reply. J has a sweet smile. Her eyes curved up to match her mouthbeam. "The entire week has been good, actually. Maybe that's why I'm not tired today."

I was glad to hear that. It had been a good week for both of us. She had planned for and taught all but two of my classes (I have ten different groups/classes to work with throughout the day.) for four of the days, and all of them on the fifth day. After school, she had a seminar to attend on Monday, and I had a computer data program to learn at another workshop on Tuesday. Wednesday, there had been an IEP meeting we prepared for and held after school, and a committee planning meeting to attend on Thursday.  It had indeed been a very good week.

Yes, there will be good days and not so good days ... as in any profession or occupation. For us, it had been a good week!

                                               

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is the best feeling in the world; when someone you have guided and nurtured and helped guides, nurtures and helps someone else. It is a wonderful thing to witness; have had the pleasure of watching this when I was coaching. I bet this made you feel so good!
Enjoy your weekend!!
Maria

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did a good job, as did she. Well done, Bea!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like once she's completed this phase of her training, she's going to be an excellent teacher.  Linda in sunny western Washington

Anonymous said...

Hi...

Thanx for visiting my journal and leaving a comment, it feels great to be back amongst my J/Land friends and it feels really great to have new friends visiting too!I will certainly drop by soon...Best Wishes!

Astra!

Anonymous said...

So glad that it was a good week for both of you, and that she was successful teaching her first class completely alone! :)

Way to go Bea..   I'm sure she learned a lot from you!

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

So refreshing to hear you had a good week.  My daughter will be a student teacher next year, (12th grade)  Then on to college to be a secondary education teacher.  English major and Physc. minor.     It sounds like you really take pride in teaching and that is what our children need.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

Glad things are going well for her.  Ya'll must be doing something right.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

It must be a great feeling to be part of her growth as a teacher,Bea.Keep up the good work of encouraging and guiding her!Take Care, Shauneen

Anonymous said...

You must be very proud, and with good reason!  
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

Anonymous said...

bravo Bea! bravo alos to your student teacher!well done!
love,nat