So here I sit thinking about the coming week. It's going to be very different without my student-teacher. I'm going to miss her!
Yes, she taught her last week in my classroom last week. I've felt frantic all week just thinking about going back to having the room and the classes to myself, without her assistance. No, more than assistance, she was like having another teacher in the class. She carried the full load of teaching for about six weeks. That was some incredible amount of work for her to take on. But she did it. And she did it with a smile, without complaining, without sarcasm, and without slacking off. Her parents raised her right.
We said our good-byes on Friday. Some of the kids were away on a field trip, so they said good-bye the day before. She really won't be far away for most of them... the will probably see her pass in the hallways as she walks by on her way to the fourth grade classroom. She will be working in the 4th grade inclusion setting for the next eight weeks.
As we worked our way through the Friday schedule, we both were quiet and reflective. She said she couldn't believe she wouldn't be coming back to this room to plan for next week. I said I couldn't believe that I was going to have to do it all on my own again. I told her she'd done a good work here as teacher, that she had come a long way from those first few days in January.
We've sat through two evaluations with her supervising teacher this semester, and both of them were positive and helpful regarding her skills. At the last evaluation both her supervising teacher and myself gave her high marks in all areas.
I remember her first week, when she said she thought she might have made the wrong choice in becoming a teacher, and I had told her it was normal to question ourselves when we started feeling overwhelmed. I had warned her about that her first day with me, that she would experience a feeling of being overwhelmed by it all, but that it would pass as she got into the routine. I told her that I experienced at the beginning of every year.
And I remember about two weeks ago when she said it was starting to feel easier to keep up with the planning,and she was glad to be in the classroom. I was pleased to hear that at last!
Before she left, I gave her a gift bag at the end of our first grade reading class. The kids knew about the surprise, and kept it a secret. When the time came to give it to her, one student said as he peeked into the pretty bag, "Ahhh, a teacher bag with teacher things in it!" They wanted to see every last gift in the bag. Then I took their picture with her. What clowns they were. They're going to miss her too.
She gave me two books I had wish-listed at the book fair last week. She said one was from her and one was from her parents who told her to buy one for me, from them. Wasn't that sweet?
Yes, I'm going to miss her. Today (Sunday) I went to school at 1:30 and came home by 7:00. All that was planning time for all the classes I teach. By comparison, last Sunday, I had gone to school at 3:30 and stayed until 6:00. J did the bulk of the work. I was there so she could get into the main building, and to help her get the materials that she needed. She took some of it home with her, but on Monday, she came to school ready to go.
I can't help but think there has got to be a better way. I shouldn't have to spend that many hours on a Sunday afternoon to get my planning done for the week. I suppose if I wanted to, I could try staying at school until 6:30 every night during the week, but I am tired by 5:00...I'm ready to go home by 5:00. I can't think after that.
Other teachers stay until late in the day so they won't have to come in on weekends. Some teachers have planning times during the day, uninterrupted planning times because their students go to specials. While their kids go to specials, I'm teaching other grade levels who aren't in specials.... so during all the school day, I am in a classroom teaching from 7:45 until 2:30... every single day! Which I enjoy... That part, very much, is the "joy" of teaching.
But to get all that joy out of teaching, one must be prepared, and planning takes up more time than the teaching does. I am not complaining, just thinking "out-loud" so to speak. Just ordering my thoughts because ... "somethin's gotta give!"
This old teacher is looking for a way to cut back on the planning time. I do not want to use up my weekends like this!!!!
Alas, the wind is blowing in a favorable direction, and the tide is about to change. I sense it will all turn out well... I am okay.
I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to find out why I had three nosebleeds yesterday, and one on Friday. I didn't have a single one today.
My friend Alyson drove me to the ER after the second nosebleed wouldn't stop yesterday around 1:30 or so. Of course the bleeding had stopped by the time I arrived at the ER. Still, I was triaged, and 20 minutes later, the PA examined me. She told me to use Afrin every four hours until I saw the ENT doctor tomorrow afternoon, and that if I had another nosebleed, I should come to ER and they would put a nasal tampon to staunch the bleeding.
I'm doing everything I know to do to prevent that from happening. Humidifier, afrin, no strenuous activity.... no vaccuming, no bending over to pick up stuff laying on the floor. I saw that nasal tampon, and it's not going up my nose!
I'm thinking it's just the excessive dry air. Dr. said dry air could cause the membranes to crack and bleed. Or allergies could cause it. High blood pressure could cause it, but we ruled that one out too. I've never seen a nosebleed go on like that before (each lasted over an hour). I've never had a nosebleed before. Ever.
At least now I know what to do if one of my students has one.
Thank you, Alyson, for being there for me... you don't know how scared I was ... or maybe you do <grin>. You stayed so calm. That was a lot of blood leaving my body... it looked like a lot to me! But it didn't cause any fear or panic in you, and that kept me from feeling panic. I can see how your patients must easily put their trust in you. I am so grateful that you were home and that you came right over, and stayed with me through it all. I know what you're thinking... "that's what friends are for!"
Just the same, thank you from the bottom of my heart!


12 comments:
Dear Bea, so much going on in your life! I know that your student teacher learned a great deal from you and that she will be a better teacher for it when she gets a classroom of her own. I fully agree with you that it should not be necessary to give up your weekends in order to prep for your classes. More planning time has to be built into the day for all teachers; this is definitely an issue that sould be at the top of NCAE's legislative agenda. I'm glad that your friend was with you when you had your nosebleed. It's always good to have someone to provide a shoulder in times of stress or crisis. I hope that you have seen the last of the nosebleeds!--Thinking of you, Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind
Dear Bea, I know that you have given your student teacher the best start possible in her career as a teacher. I am quite sure, just by reading the words that you thoughtfully pen here on these pages that you have set for her the finest example as a teacher that could ever be. You are a fine teacher...I can tell...and so it goes on...Bless you for all that you do, all the minds that you shape and the hearts that you touch daily,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
You've done well in training her up, Bea. Good luck in managing the changes.
Oh, I feel for you! Hate that you're losing your student-teacher, but I know she'll do great, partly due to your guidance!
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages
It may be sad to see her go, but you helped to give her the wings to fly! Praying nothing but good at the doctors. - Barbara
Gee whiz your nose bleed sounds
alarming; I sure hope and pray a
solution will immediatedly if not sooner
be found! Every once in a while I've
found things decide to come unstuck
at the same time: then 'overwhelm' sets
in, groan. (Ice doesn't stop the bleeding?)
Somewhere, nearby, you'll find solutions.
What I've done in the past is freeze up, and
that DON'I work.
Barry
(((hug)))
I know that your student teacher will be a great teacher for having you for a mentor!
Ethan would get nosebleeds and our Dr had us put vasoline on a qtip and swab the inside of his nose at night and that helped quite a bit. We think it was because everything was so dry
Becky
Anything involving blood gives me the heebie-jeebies. Who knows what would have happened had the nosebleeds happened to me! Even sitting here thinking about it makes me a little nauseous! It seems like your student finished everything so quickly! I was in the classroom from January until May, but then again, I only taught in one classroom the entire time. I took over for the full 6 weeks too, after building an hour each week, and then slacked off an hour after that.
Good luck at the Dr's!
Amber
I hope you made out ok with your doctor visit; I have heard that dry air and allergies (pollen in the air etc) can cause nose bleeds so I am sure it is something simple like that. I hope your school week goes ok without your student teacher; I am sure she is missing you and the kids too!
Maria
http://journals.aol.com/bobbysgirl8584/ThoseWhoMatterDontMind/
You know that soul sisters are always there when needed. In this busy time we call life, I was just relieved that I could be there for you. ironically it was one of the rare Saturdays when we weren't running here and there. I didn't do anything that any of our neighbors wouldnt of done for you. We are so lucky in this neighborhood. I am so glad we are here.
Hope to see you soon.
Love
Alyson
what a beautiful entry Bea! I love it!
you gave herso much and returned the favor! how great!
love,nat
Hi, Bea!
A mutual friend sent me your blog site. Carlene suggested I hook up with you here because I'm a teacher, too. I live & teach in Tampa, FL. I teach Second grade.
I am SOOOO tired of the planning issue, too. What sickens me is the way we've had our planning days & times stripped down here. We're expected to put in our own time now to be ready. Damn the fact you have a family or life, right? I just read in Readers' Digest how teaching is the number one "burnout" profession. I believe them. I've taught since 1984. I love the teaching...hate the politics..and can't stand the fact our school board doesn't value us more.
I'm in the beginning stages of blogging, having only begun in the end of February. My blog is wunzuponatime. Nice to "meet" you!
sher (Sherri)
Post a Comment