Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Mr. Poitier, springtime, and name that plant!

Did you see Oprah today? Sidney Poitier was being honored for his 80th birthday, and for his book, Measure of a Man.

Seven guests had been invited to attend this extravagant celebration, and were picked according to what they had written about Mr. Poitier, and how his book had impacted their lives. One of the dinner guests was the son of an assitant teacher at my school. She must be so proud! He is himself a teacher. The only reason I knew about this particular show was because I had read an article in today's local newspaper about it, and because our principal announced it over the intercom this afternoon. The only reason I made myself come home to watch it was for the same reason.

I could not believe that someone eighty years old could look so handsome and healthy as Mr. Poitier does.

After I watched the show, I walked about my yard, still marveling at the wisdom, integrity, and character of this man. I haven't read his biography yet, but I would like to. I wondered if any of you had read his book.

I took a few pictures of spring... yes spring is budding out all over the place. I knew if I didn't get these pictures today, it wouldn't be long before the blossoms have all fallen away.

                                    

                                 Hostas have been growing this week...                                                              they are among my favorites.

 

                                    

                           Azaleas blooming too. These will probably be white.

 

                                    

Name this plant! Just for fun, do you know what these are? There's a bunch of them growing in our woods. Leave me a comment if you recognize them. I'll come back in a few days with the answer. This is the only time that the markings on the leaves are so distinct. What do you think they are?

 

                                    

Our front yard. Dogwoods just in bloom. See that tiny little pond in the lower left? If you recall, last year I wrote several entries about the lotus plants, and the dragonflies mating... it all happened in that tiny little pond. It's more like a bog. No fish in this one. The ponds I wrote about over a year ago are filled in, and grass has grown over them. They used to be in the front yard, right between the house and the trees you are looking at now. This summer, I hope to see the lotus bloom again, but from what I've read, they don't bloom every year. That won't stop the dragonflies, though. I'm pretty sure there will plenty more blue skimmers to entertain and fascinate me.

Spring is in the air, and tonight it's supposed to cool off... we may even get some rain. Temperatures were in the 80's today... so a cool rain is going to be welcomed by all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Poitier, aka (I think) as "Mr. Tibbs"
was always impressive. I'd like to read
his book and will hunt it down. Thanks for
the 'Heads up.' His adversary Onscreen
was the inimitable Rod Steiger. Off-stage
I'll bet they were mutually respectful. Early,
Poitier was a model of character and resolve
for African Americans. So happy to hear
he appeared on Oprah. He'll receive a heap
of fan mail.

Barry

Anonymous said...

I have always loved Sidney Poitier!  He's one of the most inspring black men I know.  I wish we could get Oprah here.  I really miss her show.  I have watched her since she first began way back when!  Loved your garden pictures.  I have no idea of what that plant is, but then....I have a black thumb!  I will be really interested on finding out though!  It's a very pretty leafy thing!
Have a great day and thanks for sharing!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
PS the only drawback to reading this today is that there is now yet another book I will have to go out and get for myself, only this time it won't be a cookbook!

Anonymous said...

Great shots and I loved the mage of your front yard. Fabulous

Anonymous said...

only thing blooming in my yard is still the crocus!!! very beautiful!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

dear bea
It sounds so lovely!
hugs,nat

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea! I received a copy of Poitier's book from a friend as a birthday present.  I haven't read it yet but I'm looking forward to doing so.  I love the pictures but you've got me stumped with the mystery plant! It's lovely, and it looks familiar but I can't think of the name.  Please put me out of my misery, what is it?--Sheria
http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind/

Anonymous said...

Sidney Poitier is certainly a great actor as well as a voice representing civil rights throughout his life.    It is amazing that one of the assistant teacher's son was a writer picked to be a dinner guest of his!    What an honor!     It is raining here and the weather has been not allowing me to sleep so I don't know if I am half asleep or awake.   I did manage to make an entry on Spring in my journal today should you have time to visit.     mark
http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/MarksDailyJournal

Another pen and ink of mine is in my landscape artwork journal also:

http://journals.aol.com/mtrib2/landscapeartwork

Anonymous said...

The Hostas are doing well as are the other plants and dogwoods.   Nice photos'!   mark