Thank you for your concerns and comments... I do have some good news. Interesting, too.
The ENT I saw came highly recommended. Even my principal knew him, and said I'd be in good hands, and that whatever he tells me to do, I should follow completely.
So after the examination, the vitals check, and the initial patient interview, the good doctor comes in and introduces himself. He then looks inside my nose... my ears, my throat... the entire time he talks about how the air is dry this time of year, the nasal membrane gets very dry, it can crack and bleed, and form a scab. Often when the scab is moved, like from a sneeze, blowing the nose, etc., the crevice or ulcer or whatever it has become is deeper, and could bleed freely.
As he looks with the bright light and the mirror thing on his face, he says "It looks like you have a deviated septum."
I am surpised to hear that, as no other doctor has ever noted that aspect of my facial feature to date. Ever. "What could have caused that?" I ask with much surprise.
"Usually trauma," he offers, and then turns to get some other medical implement. "Probably from when you were younger."
I think to myself, whenever was I in a situation where a traumatic force could deviate my septum? I don't ever remember being hit in the face by anyone or anything....
except that time . . . .
when I was about 21 years old, I was driving my husband's beautiful blue '73 Challenger on my way to art class in Athens, Georgia when ....BAM! I smacked into the rear of the car in front of me. I was looking into the rear view mirror to pass that slow poke, and while my eyes were thus averted, he stopped altogether. It happened so fast, I didn't even know what hit me.
Until I bounced off the steering wheel, and in the rebound off the head rest, came forward and hit the wheel again! Blood gushed from my mouth. No teeth were injured... that was my only concern as I looked into the rear-view mirror.
I didn't have my seat belt on at the time (I know, how stupid!).
Yep, that must have been it... which is odd because I really didn't hit my nose directly... my head shot forward, slamming into the steering wheel, making impact at the small space just below the nose, where nostrils separate, where the nose feature angles sharply downward toward the mouth. That little place where we all have a ridge of some name... that's where I hit the steering wheel, and I had to have stitches in my mouth along the gum line just above my front teeth.
I wasn't told anything had happened to my nose, though I'm pretty sure x-rays were taken... guess I was lucky ... I looked like the co-star on Planet of the Apes for about a week or so after from all the swelling and puffiness around my mouth and cheeks. But I was alive, and I was okay.
He draws a picture of the inside of my nose to show me where the deviation is, and scribbles a dark mark. "This," he says, "is where the bleed came from, right in the crevice of the deviation."
Then he continues, telling me what he can do for me, and what will possibly take care of itself. He can cauterize it. Or we can let neosporin take care of it since it hasn't bled any since Saturday afternoon.
I choose the least traumatic of the two options.
Now I'm home feeling pretty good that I didn't have high blood pressure. Nothing serious like that.
Wow, after all these years! I didn't know I had a deviated septum... I always thought that meant your nose was broken, and that you could tell if someone's nose was deviated. My nose doesn't look like it's been broke.
I wonder if that same accident could be the reason for all my neck pain, shoulder pain, and head-aches? I didn't even think about that connection until I was driving home. Wish I could have asked him while I was in the office. I guess I'll have to do a little medical research.
The day went well. All that planning I did yesterday paid off... the rest of the week should go smoothly. Why was I complaining? Now I can go to my Bible Study tonight, and watch Jericho and Lost! on Wednesday, and Survivor Island on Thursday. It's going to be a good week.
Thanks for stopping in and saying hello. I'll see you in your journals throughout the week.


9 comments:
Finally you know the answer. Amazing how you lived with that all these years.
Hope the Neosporin works for you. :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/ Tracy
Wow! At least you got an answer. The unknown can be worse than the symptoms. That is bizarre about an accident from years ago being the suspected culprit.
Patrick
I have that problem often when I get up in the morning. I have to blow my nose and sometimes I see just the tiniest bit of blood. It's possible that the air is dry in your home, I know mine is.
I had my biopsy report and it turns out it wasn't cancer, at least not anytime soon.
Deb
I am glad you hve got it all sorted out. It is amazing how that accident has affected you years later. I am back online since the house move. Please visit. Love Conniex
I'm glad the bleeding has stopped, and hopefully it won't come back. I have a deviated septum, too, but I don't know how I got it!
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages
Those old injuries long forgotten come back to haunt us quite frequently! I was going to say that a virus will often cause sores to break out in my nose as I seem particularly reactive to some nasty viruses. I have learned to expect it and usual wash out my nostrils each night with a slighly soapy water which keeps the tissue from getting infected until the infection is gone. Or I use neosporin. So you will be aware of that sensitive spot and might be able to treat it yourself when you detect a problem. Glad it was no more serious. Gerry
It's amazing how the things that happen to us when we're younger all come back to haunt us when we are older....oh my aching bones and back! I have not been getting any alerts so I hope you dont' think I had ignored your post! I finally decided to take a wander through my own links and discovered y'all had been posting away! Hope the alerts start back up again soon and hope your nose gets sorted soon too!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Nope, I can't tell that you have a deviated septum! Glad to know that you've found out the cause of the nose bleeds. Lost, Jericho, Survivor--that's my TV list!--Sheria
Wow, I've never even heard of deviated septum. I never would have thought it was part of your nose especially. lol I'm glad things worked out good. : ) Love, Shelly
Post a Comment