Saturday, April 28, 2007

The dog who adopted me

I just finished reading Indigo's entry, What Hurts the Most, and I have to say the video was very sad. Pet lovers, it will make you cry.

Indigo is an animal lover, to the core. It's not just because she needs a hearing dog to assist her and be her companion, but because she understands the plight of the abandoned, unwanted, neglected pet. She has rescued many animals that were abandoned in her neighborhood. She'd adopt many more if she could afford it. You should read her story.

It is disturbing to read about the loneliness and suffering of the most innocent of creatures in this world, those dogs and cats (or other pets) who are left behind or thrown out of cars on dark streets. I suppose folks who do this rationalize this horrible act by thinking "someone will take care of the animal better than I can" or even "if I drop if off in a neighborhood, it has a chance of finding a home, or getting run over. Either way, it's a better deal for the animal."

I can't even imagine how any goodness could be in the heart of someone who abandons a pet that they once had chosen to keep and care for. I'm thinking that some people don't think of pets as creatures who need companionship, love, care, and medicine when they get sick. In fact, I imagine some people don't even recognize animals as having any purpose in their lives at all. Quite possibly, ignorance is a factor. With some laziness and apathy thrown in.

We've had many dogs over the years, and all were chosen by us. All except one: she chose us. Her name was Lucky, and she was about the cutest/ugliest little thing you ever did see. She only had three legs, and when I first met her, she was about three or four months old. A terrier mix, we thought she might have been a cross between a pug and Shi-tzu, or some such breed. She was small, had a curly tail, black-tipped ears, and a flat face with large eyes. Her hair was wild in every direction. She shed all the time.

                             

But we loved her, and she became our first indoor dog. Of course, even without her left rear leg, she could run as fast as any dog with four legs, but one would only notice she was missing a leg when she walked. Then she'd have a slight sway to her back.

She taught us to let her sleep on the couch, to snuggle with her when she slept, and to let her in the house when she barked at us. We learned what she needed, and we made sure she got it. She taught us to take dogs to the veteranarian, even if they weren't sick, for shots and check-ups because that's what responsible pet owners do. She taught us to worry about her when she didn't come home.

        

Brandy, a beautiful Irish Setter was our first dog when we were newlyweds. Steve picked her.Then there was Dusty, a German Shepherd mix. She became Steven's first dog when he was four or five years old. Finally, Lucky came for me, and charmed all of us. Steven was in middle school by then. All three dogs have passed on, each one leaving her mark on our memories.

Now we have Max and Misty. We selected the miniature Schnauzer breed because we were missing Lucky's winning personality, and from what we'd read in the books, the schnauzer breed had it. Indeed, they do have it: alert, playful, excited, but easily calmed down, fierce home protectors, and friendly with people they know and trust. Curious, patient, and endearing. They are smart, and learn very fast, and best of all, Schnauzers don't shed.

Now who couldn't love those two faces? Had we never met Lucky, I doubt I ever would have considered buying a Schnauzer, let alone two of them. Indeed, she paved the way for Max and Misty. Those two have the best of both worlds: they get to live with us and have all their needs met, and they get to gooutside pretty much whenever they want to (when one of us is home to let them out, and if we aren't, there's the doggy door).

Well, two entries in one day. That is unusual.

 


Tags: , , ,

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, Bea! A doggie lover after my own heart! We belong to Bay Area Greyhound Adoption here in Tampa. We adopted all three of our dogs this past year...yes, in ONE YEAR...from our organization. We started with Kia, who never wanted to race. Next, came Krissy who'd been adopted a year prior by a teenager who didn't want her when it came time to move to California. When she came back, she was too skinny & afraid of small dogs. Now she's our tomboy...racing along the doggy beach at Davis Islands. Last but not the tiniest bit least (yes, pun intended...), Lenny was a fluke. He's an Italian greyhound (IG--Iggy). A blue & white one. BAGA doesn't adopt out Iggys. Someone just asked our organization to take him. They didn't want just anyone to have him, so they showed him to us, knowing full well what they were doing! Iggys have energy & they are compared to cats--curious. He reminds me of Max & Misty's personalities. We found out a man who was one of his previous owners had kicked him. They also had him bungy-corded to the sofa so he couldn't get into anything. Due to this, it was felt he would not like men. Let me tell ya...he's Keith's buddy through & through. When Keith goes out of town, he chews his nails & cuddles up with me. I could tell you more, but what's most important is how we started out to rescue our girls & boy...and they rescued OUR hearts instead.
lots of hugs, sher (wunzuponatime)

Anonymous said...

AWWW beautiful pics, I cried looking at the pic of Lucky, who looks a little like my Monkee. As you prob know I've adopted all my pets...& there've been many. Hope you've gone onto my Pet Journal sidebar & clicked on the link that sends you to tributes of the last 5 who went to the Rainbow Bridge. If I could, I'd run a Forever Shelter & take in those that were unwanted. I love them all!
Lovely entry.
Hugs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Oh I really loved this entry!  I will go over to Raven's to see the video, even though I know it will make me cry.  Any reader can tell you take your pet ownership seriously from this entry.  Beautiful pics!  Lucky was certainly "lucky" to have found you guys!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Writing my own story was well worth it to read this beautiful tale of your animals. Thank you so much for sharing. It always helps to hear of all the other animal lovers out there besides myself. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Bea.  Our pets are so much more than that to us...they are family.  Each pet I have had holds always a special place in my heart.  I cannot understand or fathom anyone being deliberately cruel to or mistreating one of these lovely creatures, a true gift from God.  They are so innocent and give so much love in return.  One's life is truly blessed by their presence.  I am not sure I can bear to watch the video, but what the heck...I probably will anyways, even if I KNOW it will make me cry!  
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Adorable pictures of your dogs, Bea. My heart always melts whenever I see those eyes. How could you resist? Lately, in our neighbourhood here in Vancouver, a lot of dog lovers have moved in and I am gradually getting to know each one. Was thinking of capturing them one at a time with my digital camera, and posting a journal entry about them. They sure have different personalities.
PS - My Mother-in-law volunteers at a cat shelter that houses feral (wild) cats, among others. They also free up space for the local SPCA and adopt them out as well. So sad that some people are not very responsible pet owners, for sure. Do take care!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't watch the video all the way through Bea.  I would dwell on the atrocities all day and possibly longer.  I just can't bear to think of cruelty to animals.  Its those who are cruel to animals who should be watching these videos.
I am incapable of hurting a worm let alone a domestic animal.  I just don't understand the mentality of those who abandon their animals.  
Once someone left their dog outside a local shop whilst they went inside.  Hours later their poor faithfull dog was still patiently waiting outside. It obviously hadn't seen its owner leave and its owner was unaware it had been still sat outside.  I went home to get it some dog food and on my return it had gone.  Thank God!  It sat there patiently in the rain.  Poor creature!   Would one human wait as long for another in the same place?
Jeanie

Anonymous said...

I have no time for people who are cruel to animals. I've heard of people who dump their pet out of the car on the roadside miles from anywhere. They always say at the end of the year: "A pet is for life, not just for Christmas". Puppies grow into big dogs, kittens into mature cats. We have a responsibility for an animal, as much as you have a responsibility for your own children. No difference. Period.

Anonymous said...

I too, read Indigo's entry...and yes, how sad it is for the animal lovers to see the videos...but she expressed her feelings so well.  I loved your photos...all of them...such cuties are they all.  As you know, I love and have the breed called schnauzers...yours are adorable...as I too, know all so well, how true all you said.  And your right, they do not shed one hair.  Hope you have a lovely week...many hugs,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I saw that entry, Bea.  Indigo is so one with the spirit wit animals.  We've always adopted out pets.  Grizzly was not my son's first choice of a neighbor who had a huge litter but Grizzly chose Joey.  How anyone can take a pet and abandon them or mistreat them is beyond me.  Love your Lucky's spirit.  Your schnauzers are adorable.  HUGS  Chris

Anonymous said...

oh, what mischevious cute little faces!
Marti
http://journals.aol.com/sunnyside46/MidlifeMusings

Anonymous said...

Bea,  As you know, Milo and I walk together everyday.  He waits at the door and won't leave unless it is with me.  We walk to the end of the road where Scooter lives.  Scooter is a "rescue" dog, missing a hind leg.  I always throw Scooter a treat and give one to Milo for being a "good boy".  My goal in life is to be as good of a person Milo already thinks I am.
David

Anonymous said...

Its funny how you mentioned that Lucky picked you...that is what happened with Jasmine, our oldest cat.  She is the one that watched us as the animal shelter and would not let us out of her sight.  When we removed her from the cage, she would not leave my arms...except to climb up on my shoulders.  She actually fell asleep on my shoulder while we were talking to staff about their adoption procedures.  I can't imagine how people can be so cruel as to just let their pet out somewhere and hope that it gets run over...because that would be better than living with them.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
thank you so much for sharing this great entry with us about your wonderful dogs! I am duly impressed!
We have had some wonderous creatures here too and you would not beleive the kind of animals either!
Aniamls ahve a great deal to teach us and lots of love and protection to offer us.
Your dogs were great ! And of course your surrent dogs are winners!
love you, hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing your cuties!!They are adorable.I got my first puppy at age 5 ,a toy-pom called Fluffy. I ADORED my friend and mourned for many nights when he dissappeared six years later.That dog taught me the value of unconditional love!!!I've often thought having pets is selfish as we are often the ones getting the love and not giving much in return, but of course this is only true for some pet owners!I chose not to watch the video as I cannot STAND pets,OR ANYONE ELSE, being mistreated!!! love, Shauneen

Anonymous said...

awww..cute pictures.
:-)