Friday, August 17, 2007

Hakuna Matata... No Worries

Children found playing in Durham water fountain on hot summer day.    

                                      BTW, turn up the volume before watching the video!              

        

                     

 

Okay, so they're bronze children.

Statues.

I call it Public art.

Each time I go to SouthPoint Mall (about 4 times a year), I park on the side closest to the lively water fountain. I enjoy walking past it and feeling the cool energy of the flowing waters almost pushing those children into space on their little water disks.

You are probably thinking I've gone cuckoo over making movies, that I have nothing better to do than to sit and transfer my camera videos from my computer to the Windows Movie Maker before uploading them to UnCut Videos. Truth is, it takes so long to complete the process, and I work on it at night after my husband has gone to bed. During the day, I am in my classroom getting ready for you know what to start. Yes, I've even made a video of that, too, though I may not post that one. Got to find a way to make it interesting.

Each time I make a movie, I discover some new feature in the Windows Movie Maker program. For example, during the arrangement of this movie short, I learned how to mute the actual sounds coming from the video, then added the audio music clip from a CD favorite. Not only that, I discovered, through my need to have a very brief musical piece, how to shorten the music clip so that it ended where I wanted it to end. I also learned how to move the audio clip around so that it began just after the title frame. It fades in at the beginning, and fades out at the end.

For those of you who are wanting to do the same with your video clips, it's very easy once you have done a few. I must warn you, though, that if your family is already complaining that they've missed you ever since you started your journal/blog, they will probably forget who you are by the time you have loaded up your first video.

Getting past that first one is the clincher, you see. Each subsequent movie went much faster. Kind of like having a baby. The first one takes forever to birth, but those that follow are generally quicker in delivery. So I've heard, having never had more than one child.

The difference in this analogy is that any pain you experience while transferring your video from computer to YouTube or UnCut Videos will likely be in your shoulders and neck because you are spending too much time sitting at the computer!

As for the song I chose, Hakuna Matata... it sounds playful, and matches the rhythm of the splashing water very well. It also reflects the way I felt the day I was at the mall. Sheria (Aimer) and I had met for lunch. It was a Saturday. I would like to tell you the story of how I drove to the mall twice that day, but it's rather long, and it makes me look very stupid. In fact, I called myself stupid several times that morning on my way home to get my wallet. There, now you know the punch line. The details are inconsequential!

Back in February, Sheria, Caroline, and I met for lunch... our first meeting as aoljournalers. We had such a great time sharing stories about ourselves, and answering each other's questions about ourselves. Caroline couldn't make it this time (we missed you, Caroline) but Sheria and I were able to. She's a fascinating person to sit down and talk with. I learned more about the legislative process during those two hours than I've learned these past few years as a teacher of fifth graders.

I'd like to visit her in our State Capitol one day, at her convenience, and follow her around, like a shadow. She would explain what's going on, point out who's who and what's what in a way that I would understand. That's a teacher's field trip I'd like to go on one day.

After we parted company, I walked past the water fountain, took the pictures and some video. I also filmed someone called Juggle Boy. I'm thinking of posting him next. I'll have to learn how to delete unnecessary footage, though, because it is over 8 minutes long, and some of it is preparatory action, not part of the act itself.

Coming Soon: Juggle Boy at South Point Mall!

 

 


Tags:

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're really coming along with your video editing skills.  I would praise the video itself, but I have a basic policy of almost never bothering with video on dial-up - and dial-up is all I have.  Still, congrats on your videos - have fun! - K

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've really got this movie making and posting down to an art now Bea!  I'm impressed!  What a delightful fountain this is!  I loved it!  Very fitting soundtrack as well!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Nice video Bea. I made a video in Movie maker and, you're right, it takes a good while. In fact, it took me so long that I haven't had the urge to try again. But since you say it gets easier, maybe I'll have another go - soon. B. x

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Juggle Boy!  Please post him next!  And I love the bronze children!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristiina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

What a happy fountain to sit by.  I don't think I would want to get up and move away.  I so love the sound of children's voices in the playground.  No matter what month or year you pass by one, the excited playfull voices never change.  Even if the original children move on.  Its a magical sound and one I think would go well played lightly in the background of this fountain.
Hakuna Metata is my favourite song from The Lion King.  I shall have a wee play at this movie making one day Bea....if I'm not divorced first and sent packing with my laptop...lol!
A wonderful entry.  Thank you.
Jeanie

http://journals.aol.co.uk/kirkbyj05/DaytoDayLifeintheLakes

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

I love that fountain. There is a beauty and innocence premeated throughout the whole layout. I envy you and Sheria being able to visit one another from time to time. You both have been such awesome friends to me here online I imagine meeting you would be an absolute joy. I take so much time now trying to work on my writing skills and working to eventually find gainful employment with them, I can't imagine being on the computer any more than I already am. So to that end I will leave the video accomplishments to you my dear friend. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the video and another great song choice. You're going to have to change your last name to DeMille! I also loved our lunch; you are so much fun and I like spending time with you. The next legislative session doesn't begin until May 2008 but I'd love to have your company and take you around to witness the ins qand outs of state government when the session begins anew.--Love, Sheria

Anonymous said...

we have that kind of public art here in Broadway at the Beach..it is amazing---so lovely to look at and take picture with.
Have a great weekend!
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

 What a beautiful fountain.  I would have to spend some time there also.  Thanks for sharing and loved the video.

                         Julie

Anonymous said...

Bea, what a lovely fountain!  You did a marvelous job with the video.  LOL....I spotted a Coldwater Creek in the background.  We don't have any in Pittsburgh yet :(   Can't wait for your next video.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Now, that fountain would be a place you would find me sitting at whenever I visited that mall.  The song you chose fit perfectly!  I haven't gotten into video stuff (other than putting up an already made Youtube video to my journal), because between AOL journals and Youtube, I spend enough time online.  I get behind as it is, because I don't come online as much as I used to.  I actually have a life now, and the internet plays a very small part in it as of lately.  I've noticed I don't have the pain in my chest, shoulders and arms like I used to.  Don't miss that at all!

I do enjoy your videos, though, and am looking forward to the next one!

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

What an interesting fountain!  Very accessible and involving.  Thanks for all the tips on Windows Movie Maker, I haven't bothered with it yet but you give me hope!  I bookmarked this post so I'll have all that helpful, "in English" info at hand.  So nice you and Sheria bonded like that!  xoxo CATHY

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note:  My second took 36 hrs, over twice as long as my first.  So who knows lol?  xoxo  

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the video!  The water give the statues the illusion of actually moving, doesn't it?  
Lori

Anonymous said...

Loved the fountains. I have no clue how to make a movie.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Wow,I didn't know I could put my videos into movie maker.I've just been putting photos and adding music,could never get the music to stop when the pictures do.And how do you mute the sound from your own clip  before adding music??
Inquiring minds want to know....
~connie~
http://journals.aol.co.uk/specialadyfink/anyway...../