Ugh! I've just spent two hours playing around with a video that I want to upload to YouTube so I can add it to my journal here. It is something that shows what we did in Montgomery, Alabama, and I just wanted everyone to see it. If I succeed in accomplishing this feat, it will be the first time ever I added a video that I made to my journal entry.
Tomorrow (well, today actually, the third of August) is my 2nd year here at AOL journals and I wanted to do something special to mark it. Adding a special video clip would be just the thing.
My problem, I think, is that I have a video clip, just 1 m 52 seconds long. However, it is 198 mb large. YouTube will not accept anything over 100 mb. I don't know how to shrink my video so it will fit. Timewise, I am well within their parameters (limit of 10 minutes).
I talked to a computer savvy friend of mine, D, and he said I could probably go to Windows Movie Maker and edit my movie. But I really don't need to trim any footage from it. I just need to make it fit within 100 mB.
Any of you know how to do that? Patrick... he's made movies on YouTube... he's the man I should talk to! Yeah, I think I'll email him.
I played around in Windows Movie Maker to see what I could do, and it was interesting because I had never done that before. Didn't even know I had the feature until an hour ago.
Until I get that video, I won't be writing about the Montgomery trip. It's just something special I want to do.
Instead, may I substitute another topic of interest?
Have you ever seen such a small critter before? Next to the penny. Looks like a tick, doesn't it?
(photo credit Iowa State University Entomology Department)
It is the lonestar tick. I had never heard of the lonestar tick until two days ago when I found one on me. It was so small, I thought it was a mite. I only found it because I could feel it crawling on me, and I studied it through a strong magnifying glass. I stuck the sticky side of scotch tape to it so it couldn't escape while I figured out what it was. I thought it was a mite.
I searched mites on the internet, but did not find any suitable pictures to match the littlest bug I have ever seen.
I found six more on me within the hour. I was about to freak out, you see, because I was still thinking mites, and how was I going to get rid of mites. I knew it wasn't lice. I wasn't even thinking ticks... the dog tick, brown tick, and deer tick ... now these I would recognize.
I gave both my dogs baths, vacuumed the carpets, and scrubbed myself thoroughly in the shower trying to get those critters off of me. It worked. I didn't feel creepy crawlers onme for the rest of the night.
I had managed to save five of them (on the sticky tape). The next day, I dropped them off at my veterinarian's office so she could examine them through her microscope. She called me, they were lonestar ticks... in the larval stage. She told me that lonestar ticks can attach themselves at any stage. She was concerned that I had found so many on me... and how many more might I not have found?
Worst, they are often carriers of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I marked my calendar just in case two weeks from now I get sick.
Here's what I gleaned from NC State University:
All stages of Amblyomma americanum, the lone star tick , readily feed on man and large wild or domestic animals such as deer and dogs. Adults and nymphs are abundant in the spring and summer months. The mite-like larvae of this species, commonly called seed ticks, are abundant in the fall. In this stage, the lone star tick readily attacks humans. This tick is found in habitats similar to those of the American dog tick. It transmits a form of Lyme disease called STARI (Southern Tick Associated Rash Infection) caused by the spirochete, Borrelia lonestari. The lone star tick also transmits bacteria that cause erhlichiosis, which is similar to RMSF, but is rarely fatal. The lone star tick occurs predominantly in the coastal plain, but it rapidly invading the piedmont of North Carolina. http://pamlico.ces.ncsu.edu/index.php?page=news&ci=PEST+1
How did I get them? Our home is surrounded by trees and woods. Lots of wooded vegetation between our home and our neighbors. We love the view, the dogs have freedom to roam, there is a sense of privacy here, of being out in the woods. These are the good points of living close to nature.
However, Tuesday I walked through the woods on a narrow doggie path to my neighbor's home to see how she was doing (widowed 18 months ago). Later, I walked back home (roughly 50-60 yards) the same way. I've done this many times in the past without picking up pesty critters. But this time I must have walked through a massof recently hatched ticks. These baby ticks, or seed ticks, are so small, the only reason I saw them was that they were moving. They were smaller than my smallest freckle.
Here's another photo of an adult female,and a tiny larva, next to a dime for size comparison. The white spot on the female gives them their name. I found the photos on the internet.
(photo credit Iowa State University Entomology Department)
Here's some idea of just how tiny the thing was. Actually, this is showing a deer tick nymph, I believe. The ones I had were even smaller than this. This photo came from http://www.canlyme.com/ticks.html
For now I appear to be tick-free. I'm going to fumigate my house just to be sure that I've gotten the ticks, the ants, the moths, wasps, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, and whatever else could be crawling over us, on us, or between the walls of our home.
http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/ticks/aamer/a-amer-larva.html
http://www.ent.iastate.edu/imagegal/ticks/aamer/aamerfandnwdime.html

Tags: Lonestar ticks, uploading videos,


23 comments:
Congrats on the two years journaling Bea!!!!! I know that I, for one, have enjoyed all my visits with you. I always learn something new. As for the ticks ... UGH!!!! I hate the things, but those sound really dangerous! I've never had one on me, but I know people that have. My dad used to go hunting, fishing and camping in Whiteshell national park in Manitoba and I can remember him coming home and my mother burning the ticks off his back with a ciggarette. It all seemed pretty scary to me. I hope that you don't get sick! I'll say a little prayer for you and I wait in great anticipation for your video and story!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Dear me Bea, what a carry on. I too would have been washing Dee the dog and carpets etc. if I had found these wee beasties on me....don't think though that they are over here in UK...thank goddness. We do have ticks and they are mostly to be found on sheep and if we were to walk Dee amongst them he might well pick some up....Maybe he is lucky he dosn't get many walks !! he does get run around in the garden though so he isn't deprived altogether!!!! Hope you succeed in getting the video on line. Love Sybil xx
Congratulations on your second year of entering on AOL journals Bea. Shame about your planned video. I'm looking forward to seeing it soon though.
Ticks! I hate them. We have woodland at the back of our garden where the deer roam. Sometimes they loup over the wall and share their 'ticks' as they munch amongst my flowers. I seem to be the one who ends up as the 'transporter- come- fuel stop' for them whenever I garden. Bryan never gets a one!! I can't bide the fact that they are on me. I use Germoline liquid skin to suffocate them and then they peel off along with the 'plastic skin'. Guido made an entry on ticks not so long ago and this method was not advocated, as when they suffocate they can inject the bacteria into the skin. I have been alright, so far, as they have been young ones and not on my skin for long. Its more dangerous if they have been on for more than 48 hours. I reckon I would be out on that path spraying insect repellent....ughhhh! So tiny too!
Hope to see your holiday video soon. Take care. Jeanie xx
On your video, could it be the resolution you have saved it at? If there is a way to reduce the resolution to VGA 640x480 you might be able to cut some file size that way. Congratulations on 2 years journaling, that is great!! Now about the ticks, thank you for covering this with pictures like you did. Ticks are one of those pesky facts of life living in this area. However, so many people have no idea what to look for, or when to look for them. Actually, it was not too long ago I found out that ticks are out year 'round. I always thought they were just in the warmer months. I also recently discovered that they are a parasite and not an insect like I had thought for years. Anyway, very informative, and I may just link here for a project I am thinking about in the near future.
Greg
(((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))Congrats on your 2 year of Aol Journals.I am sorry you found ticks on you.I hope and pray you dont get sick.Have a nice weekend.
http://journals.aol.com/hugsdoodlewacky/Mandy
Oh my goodness, Bea, that is awful. Ticks and fleas don't really scare me accept that they reproduce in the house and can make us ill. Hope you got them all and don't suffer any ill effects. We also have a huge wooded area surrounding our house. Megan had a spot on her leg last week which look like the bulls eye from Lyme disease. I took her to a dermatologist. It ended up being a weird form of psoriasis which was a reaction to her anti-malarial drug for Asia. Now, I have to laugh at the microscope. My oldest daughter, Becky, in the Ph.D. program for microbiology is always making slides of stuff. She was bummed when she thought Megan had gotten bit, and didn't have the tick for her to look at.
Way to go with the videos. You'll get it soon. I haven't even attempted any of that yet, and Happy two years!!!! Have a good weekend. Chris
Congrats on two years!! That is great! I've used YouTube as well as Uncut (AOL's) Have you tried uncut? I have huge files of the falls there no problem and it is so easy.. it gives the embed code too.... maybe that will work?
http://uncutvideo.aol.com Good luck
d
Congrats on 2 yrs! WOO HOO!!! Doing my little happy dance fer ya! :D
No help with YouTube, know nothing about videos.
I think I'd bomb my house if I were you, just in case there's more of them varmits around. {{ }}
Have a good weekend!
Sugar
Well done on two years journalling excellent journal ,I hope you manage to get the bit of film onto utube .....love Jan xx
Congratulations on your two year journaling.Well done.As for the ticks Urrrrrrr they would send me crazy.I cannot stand anything on my skin and if I had found them,I would have gone to the hospital LOL!! I would have had to be re-assured there were no more on me.Or in the home.Guess I'd have left home LOL!! Let and the partner do the fumigating LOL!! I do hope it all sorts itself out quickly for you.Have as nice a week/end as possible I am itching thinking about them things now LOL.Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES
Happy Anniversary Bea!
Ticks scare the heck out of me. The one you have there looks just like a bug I found in my bathroom! Squished him flat, but now I'm wondering if any of his friends are lurking around here, eww. Good luck with the video - I have no clue how to do that stuff. Hugs, ~ L
Congratulations on 2 wonderful years of journaling dear heart! Wishing you many more years of heartfelt writing. Sorry the video has been so problemic hopefully for find a way to upload it without having to cut it down. I notice Donna recommended something for you. She has always helped me out when I found myself stuck with something. (Hugs) Way to go on your 2 year anniversary!
As for the Ticks I have never heard about them before...strange but interesting. Thanks for all the info on these critters. (Hugs) Indigo
Happy anniversary, Bea. Have you tried uploading to Uncut Video (the AOL related one)? Glad you're now tick-free, that sounds like a nasty creepy.
Hope your tick free, my husbands cousin got Lymes from a deer tick. Happy two years.
Jenny <><
Congratulations on your 2nd year of journaling Bea. It has been a wonderful time for us to read all the interesting articles that you've shared with us. I've loved the pictures, the stories and the writing. Your journal is never boring and ALWAYS has something interesting in it. Thanks again for being my inspiration in starting to journal! I luv ya! ~ Caroline ~
http://journals.aol.com/caromarls/ANewAdventure
Congratulations on your second anniversary. And thanks for the educational, if a little creepy, entry. ;O)
Hope you're tick free now. B. x
Congratulations on your second anniversary. I hate ticks and get at least one on me a year. Usually dog ticks but an occasional dear tick also.
Julie
Congrats on your second anniversary. The thought of finding ticks on you makes me very itchy right now. Gotta go and take a shower.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
Ughhhhhh! I have never heard of Lonestar ticks, and I hope I never come in contact with any. I'm glad you found them!
Lori
dear Bea, Gee way to scare me to death!
yuckers!
love you, :)
lol
nat
Ewwww! I would have freaked out! I hate bugs! Any kind of bug! Especially if said bug is anywhere on my body!
I remember getting bit by chiggers when I was little and we were out in Kansas visiting! Those darn things were weird!
I hope all goes well for you in the next two weeks!
Hugs
Jackie
Congratulations on your two year anniversary! Wow, a video! You are so techno savvy! I look forward to viewing it.--Sheria
Well done on two years. Those ticks would have freaked me as well. I hope they have not made you sick
Mary
http://journals.aol.com/maryajacobs5/grand-tour-of-america/
Post a Comment