After reading Indigo's humorous entry tonight, and the words to Elvis' "Dog's Life", I remembered a poem I wrote a few years back about my dogs. It was spring, and I was jealous that my dogs had nothing to do all day except look out the window, chase squirrels, and sleep. Summer was a few months away that March day. I had wished I was following the "Way of the Dogs".

The Tau (Way) of Dogs
Little doggies in the dark want to go outside and bark
At the people, at the cars, at the squirrels and the stars.
From the window they can see pigeons, blue jays, chickadees,
Cardinals and finches, too. Then a squirrel leaps into view!
Its movement catches doggie eyes. Tails are wagging, ears held high,
Scratching at the window panes. Just one thought in doggie brains.
Bounding to the back door then, leaping on the couch again.
Excitedly at the door they stand knowing freedom is at hand.
Waiting for the door to open, staring at it, ever hoping.
Patient little doggies know doors open when they gotta go!
Finally, their wish comes true. They bolt into the morning dew,
Heading for the squirrel trail, searching for that squirrel tail.
Squirrel hears them coming fast. It scampers up a tree at last.
Doggies sniffing all around, noses vacuuming the ground.
Giving up on squirrel chase, soon the two are in a race.
Running through the woods once more and then they’re standing at the door.

Again it opens at their scratching. At the window they sit watching
For another chance to see that squirrel scurrying down a tree.
Finally, on the couch they lie letting out their doggie sighs,
Happy to be home again. When summer comes, I’ll be like them!
They run and play and eat and sleep, no calendars for them keep.
No phones to answer, no bills to pay. I’d say my dogs have found “The Way.”

Bea Gilmore, 3-17-02
I use it as a model, sometimes, to break the ice for kids in the classroom when they start writing their own poems. By the time they hear it, they already know all about Max and Misty, have seen pictures of them, so they laugh when I read it to them.
I think it's important for the kids to read real writing from their own teachers, even the poems. We've been told to read in front of our students so they'll pick up reading as a daily habit. I think, likewise, we should write in front of them too. I've got a collection of poems and stories I've written, as well as those written by other people, including other students.
It always amazes a student when I read them the poems of Mattie Stepanek. They can't believe that he was so young when he wrote them. Then I tell them Mattie's story, and they want to read more of his poems. Mattie was, and is, an inspiration for us all.
If you are not familiar with the mission, words, and spirit of young peacemaker Mattie, who died three years ago at the age of 14, check out his website.
And in closing, just a side-note, in case you didn't notice: this is my third entry in 24 hours. It won't happen again, until my 3rd year anniversary, in 2008.
And a big thank you to Donna for making this tag for me some time ago. It seems appropriate with my new position integrating art with grade level curriculum this coming school year. Which is only three weeks away, folks!

Tags: The Way of Dogs, Mattie Stepanek


16 comments:
What a beatiful poem , I loved it and I wish I lived a dog's way
hugs
Sherry
Graet poem and entry Bea! I enjoyed every word!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
I really enjoyed that poem! And congratulations on two years in J-Land!
Lori
Each morning before work I offer to trade lives with my animals as they lie around on the couches, bed. etc. They always decline.
Russ
I enjoyed the poem ,and can see how it would inspire your students ...love Jan xx
((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))ANaimals have it so easy,dont they?LOL.Love your poem.Have a ncie weekend.
Loved this entry hon! Even today with the heat Pickles is looking at me like I've lost my mind trying to get some housework done. I look at her and tell her if you want you can help pick up your toys scattered all around. She rolls her eyes and goes back to sleep. The thing is she does do more than most dogs , being a working dog. Even half asleep she is always alert to where I am and what I'm doing. I think it's wonderful inspiration for the kids that your willing to share your own writing to inspire them to write themselves. (Hugs) Indigo
Thank you Bea, x
I'd never heard of Mattie till now but he seems a truly menlightened spirit. I'll be sure t check him out soon.
Also, I love the way you teach your kids and learn alonside them to. That's inspired. B. x
very cute Bea!
thansk so much!
love,nat
I had never heard of Mattie until now, Bea. I was just visiting the scrolling through the links. What an amazing child he was. Thanks for the link. I want to go back and read some more of his poems.
LOL at your doggie poem. My children and I used to have the same sentiments about our Grizzly and lamented that his "hardest" chore during the day was choosing a new place to sleep.
Your new students are as lucky as your previous ones to have you as their teacher. Chris
If reincarnation were to exist, I would want to come back as a dog. They really do have the life.
Greg
The poem was really special to me as I had my dog for fourteen years. Almost every weekend I would take him hiking or fishing, sometimes camping, and I too would find "The Way" with him! We can learn a lot from them. It pays to slow down and enjoy life . . . a lifetime here is but a moment. Thanks for sharing!
Dirk
http://journals.aol.com/tsalagiman1/the-first-amendment-not-politi/
You're right about reading and writing. My husband has deslexia. One of the things we were worried about with our children was that he would pass this on. It seems to run in his family. Out of 3 children I have two readers. My middle child was diagnosed with deslexia, but has made great strides, on his own, to read. I was so proud of him when he finished Catcher in the Rye. Anyway, the point was reading and writing. I write regularly. My daughter does as well. She doesn't think twice about her journals or the fact that she has little snippets of stories saved on the computer. It's good. One of her strongest classes in high school is language arts because of her writing. And I think one of the best approaches our schools took when teaching a child to write, was to allow him/her to write down stories without someone standing over them, correcting their grammar or spelling. I know when I grew up I was afraid to put my thoughts on paper because grammar and spelling was such an overriding factor in everything I wrote.
I really loved your poem, by the way.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay
Congratulations on 2 years of journaling, Bea! :) Has it been that long? Wow!
I enjoyed your poem, and I can believe that it would be an ice breaker in your classroom!
Hugs
Jackie
Your dogs are adorably cute and I love the poem. Thanks for the link to Mattie's site. What a remarkable young man and he left such a meaniingful legacy.--Sheria
What a sweet poem about dogs. That just about sums up their daily life in a nutshell, huh? And yours are so adorable. Mattie, indeed was truly an inspiration to us all.
Sincerely, Rose~*
Post a Comment