Monday, September 3, 2007

Sharing some of my thoughts about art; revealing the lie!

So because this is the internet, I cannot show the bulletin board (the one I mentioned in the previous entry) in its entirety because my school name is plastered all over it! I had forgotten about that little detail.

                                              

  What I've done is edited them to get just two of the corners. I apologize for having to chop it up so.

                             

These are showing the dragonfly and butterfly taking flight from the paint brushes. I was striving for the concept of creation, that we are creators when we let our imaginations soar.

The card with a brief explanation of the bulletin board is posted beside the board in the lobby:

"Is knowledge more important than imagination? Albert Einstein didn't think so. This bulletin board expresses the commitment of Our Elementary School to nurture hearts as well as the minds of Our Elementary School's students. Through daily integration of art and music with academic subjects, we will meet high academic standards and raise caring, responsible citizens."

Imagination IS more important than knowledge.   Albert Einstein

The one who holds the pencil, pen, crayon, marker, or paintbrush is the creator of the image, creator of the story, creator of the life and truth that follows it. If it is born from the truth of the maker, then it will have a life of its own. Sometimes art transforms the artist, sometimes it transforms the receiver of the art, the one who views it and finds in it one's own interpretation, one's own meaning, based on what one has experienced in life, and based on what one believes in his heart.

Sometimes it makes us laugh, and sometimes it gives us the shivers. Sometimes we are confounded by it, shocked, pleased, and even angered by a work of art, but seldom are we indifferent to it.

I believe that we are co-creators in this world.

Whether one believes that God had His hand in this marvelous work or not, surely one believes that we (as a human race, collectively and individually) have a hand in its continued creation, ...its care, ...its continued transformation through building, strengthening, preserving, protecting, and growth. Or we can be the destructors of life through ... pollution of the waters and atmosphere, ... causing the extinction of plant life and animal habitats, ... or depleting Earth's natural resources.

We are creators or destructors.

And I'm not even talking about our responsibilities and obligations to care for each other ... a whole 'nuther topic.

Week End Assignment:

The truth is revealed... or rather, the lie:

In answer to the question about which fact was the lie, most of you know me so well!!! Yes, #3 was the lie. I do like bugs. They don't scare me, although there are a couple I abhor (roaches, ticks, fleas, those kind), but in general, insects fascinate me. I hate meatloaf... well, not hate... I dislike it, for all that I said about it (sorry Marie!), and everyone knows I love my dogs, and wouldtake them everywhere I go if I could.

Thanks for participating in that one!

And thank you for taking the time to visit and leave comments this week. One more week and I'll be integrating art in my CSI classroom!

 


Tags: , , , , blogplugs

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought about the school info either... but from what I see it is wonderful just as I had thought it would be.  Be proud of it!!!   As for the lie... LOL  I knew :)
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((HUSTOYU)))))))))))))))))))))))))Have a good night.

Anonymous said...

Did you get those dragonflies at a hobby store?  I want some!!!

Russ

Anonymous said...

A really beautiful board!!  Wow!!  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

    Your board carries the message you wanted to get across. It truly is lively and imaginative! And I hate meatloaf, too.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

The dragonfly emerging from the paint brush was inspirational!  I am looking forward to seeing what creations emerge from your students brushes and hands too.  Exciting times lie ahead Bea.  I can't wait to see them all.


 Thank you for your encouraging comments on my journal. xx
Jeanie   xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/kirkbyj05/DaytoDayLifeintheLakes

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job on the bulletin board. Very artistic and truly inspiring on the imagination frontier! Isn't it great so many of your readers are getting to know you so well they can tell your likes and dislikes.....(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Your bulletine board is fantastic.  LOL...I guess that would be a privacy thing to post the school name on a public blog.  Now, I was going to say meatloaf because it's not my most favorite either.  I thought this was a trick question.  I know you are always following bugs around and collecting them but I thought maybe deep inside they did give you the creeps.  I remember your flea bombing.  Oh well, that was fun.  Chris

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the dragonfly and butterfly coming off the pain brushes.  I'd love to see the entire bulletin board, but thanks for showing us what you could.  I hope your years is going very, very well!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Bea, I had to go all the way back to May 2006 to find my screen name.  I've looked at your blog off and on since we left BEJ but not in a while.  The bulletin board is fantastic.  You may not have done many bulletin boards at BEJ but you always helped me put the finishing touches on . . . that helped so much.  I'm at GHS now . . . right down the road from you.  I think I may pop in one day to see the beautiful bulletin board.  I must say I miss the color of elementary school.  One more thing . . . I was talking about you  today . . . were your ears burning?  I was talking with some teachers about inclusion and I thought about the writing, problem solver, tesselation/Escher lessons we did together.  I am so lucky to have worked with you!  Julie

Anonymous said...

I can only echo what others have said Bea. Great bulletin board and the way the creatures seem to be coming from the paint brushes is a nice touch.
B. x

Anonymous said...

GREAT IDEA!
Good job, I love it.

Anonymous said...

I was just lecturing today about Howard Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligence. I show them the Oprah show on Dr. Mel Levine also. Do you know of him? His website is www.allkindsofminds.org & his 3 books are:

"A Mind At A Time:

"The Myth of Laziness"

"Ready or Not Here Life Comes" (I met him for this book signing & he did an hr lecture)

I also have some other lovely Einstein quotes I'll send you!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful board, Bea!  This is where your creativity takes off.  Our camera has been mislaid which makes me sad because I wanted to take a picture of my first bulletin board.  We'll keep looking!  Luvya, Caroline

Anonymous said...

lovely
Marti