Sunday, October 28, 2007

Milk Carton Houses, A surprise for John

John Scalzi's Assignment #189 

You amuse me for a change. Tell me a joke. Tell me a story. Show me a funny picture. Point to a good online video game. Suggest a good book or movie. Link me to a diverting YouTube or AOL Video. Well, you know. Surprise me.

Okay, John, this video clip was going up for today, but I thought I'd give ... you know ... the two birds/one stone deal.

Here is my most recently made video, fresh off the aol uncut video-line:

                                                   (look for the visual pun in the video)

                                      

                                                                    Let me know if you found the pun!

Milk Carton Houses Video was made one day during a workshop, Celebrating Diversity through Art, at NCCAT in Cullowhee, NC where 22 teachers and two seminar faculty members spent a portion of the week bathed in hands-on projects of creativity.

NCCAT stands for the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching, an idea that was sparked in 1983 from the heart and mind of one Teacher of the Year, Jean Powell of Clinton, NC.

It is a place of continuing professional development of teachers in the state's public schools. This year was my first time attending an NCCAT seminar... I encourage all public school teachers to look into it, ask your principals, talk to teachers who have gone... find out how you can attend one of these seminars.

All expenses paid for... mileage/room & board/materials/all events and activities, as well as your substitute teacher!! This is one workshop where teachers are treated as the professionals they are. Not all seminars are related to visual art, like this one was. Some are music-based, science, math... or a combination of these. I think it's all about providing opportunities for teachers to explore areas of learning that they have possibly neglected, and about reinspiring them, capturing their enthusiasm so they can return their classrooms as new teachers. More than a hundred seminars are on-going all through the year.

This session (milk carton houses) was only one of the many projects we worked on. Though the purpose of the various art activities was to give us ideas of what we can do with our students, it was also to provide us an art escape/retreat, where we could be the students once again, and feel what it's like to learn something new, to be slightly out of our comfort zone as tasks challenged our creative nature.

If you are interested, there are more photos in my previous entry, and two more musical videos. You might want come back and check it out later when you have more time, as it takes more than a minute to get through them all, and they are worth watching... well, at least, I think they are!!

 

To all my visitors and regular readers: I invite you to visit the aol uncut video website and leave a comment there. Even rate the video for me. Thank you for doing so.

Hereis the link:

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/users/bgilmore725/537e260a40640e493747a51198f41ee4?index=0

 

Music from Crosby, Still, Nash, and Young's Album/CD Deja Vu.

 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh,,,those were wonderful...
and I love that song!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Well done Bea!!   And all your friends too.

What wonderful work you all produced and your video was fabulous.  Even if some of the close-ups were leaning ever so slightly towards the 'producer being 'biased'...lol!
What fun!  To see how everyone interpreted their own ideas was wonderful.  
I loved the music too.
Great job Bea...and a wonderful retreat/seminar.

Hugs
Jeanie   xxxx

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful and how jealous I am.  I need to get in with this program!  The only pun I could see (not sure if it was what you were thinking of) but was that all of those homes were a "work of heart" and knowing teachers - everything they do for their students comes from the heart and become a work of art.  Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring. You are wonderful! ~  Caroline  ~

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Jeanie... it was a bit biased... The color on that table was rockin'. I flipped my camera into movie mode and started filming, then each time I passed my house, I became overly conscious of its placement, and that I couldn't see it well, so I started zooming in one side and then the other. Didn't realize how much I had zoomed in until I came home and watched it. Not wanting to edit any of the footage out, I left it as it was, favoritism and all... my regret is that I didn't do the walk-by in a slower fashion. I had thought about walking slower, but wasn't sure how much memory I had on the memory card, nor how long the battery would hold out (I had a new camera). However, considering the choice of song, it ended pretty near the end of the video, so the length was almost perfect. Had it been any longer, I would have had to find a longer song/tune.... it is what it is... next time, I'll know what to do: make it longer, then edit to the length I need. So glad you came in to watch it today!! bea

Anonymous said...

That was utterly charming! (I liked the AOL Pictures slide show on the previous entry also.) Well done, Bea! Excellent!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I watched it twice and I'm not sure if I caught the intended pun. The only thing that I noticed is what Caroline pointed out about teachers and heart/art. I love the video and your musical selction, a perfect match to the images. You are so talented!--Sheria

Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful thing to create art and maybe even a more wonderful thing to teach others to!  Well done.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Great video, Bea. those houses were soo cute. Pun? Hmm, I was listening to the song and caught them say "with two cats in the yard", and smiled because I know you have two DOGS. Please let your readers know eventually. Thanks!
Sincerely, Rose~*

Anonymous said...

Great video, Bea. those houses were soo cute. Pun? Hmm, I was listening to the song and caught them say "with two cats in the yard", and smiled because I know you have two DOGS. Please let your readers know eventually. Thanks!
Sincerely, Rose~*

Anonymous said...

Excellent. What a talented bunch you all are. Thanks so much for sharing.
B. x

Anonymous said...

For unknown reasons (so far)
I can't get sound on your posted
videos; my son now has his own
computer (a laptop) and so I'll
have more computer time to
respond, make entries, and figure
out sound.

Barry

Anonymous said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!
very creative! houses made from milk carton?
Awesome!

liked the background music & you look great too btw,
Gem :-)

http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/collage/entries/2007/10/28/trick-or-treat--d/1736

Anonymous said...

Interesting that NCCAT is about a "bright vision of tomorrow" yet you turn to the "Deja Vu" album to musically enhace the story. <grin> I enjoyed it!
Patrick

Anonymous said...

Bea, that was so good!!!  I hope you could send that link to some of the other teachers at the conference.  Everyone did a great job, and I loved how you put the video together.
Lori
http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages/

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
what awonderful entry! thanks so much!
love,natalie