Sunday, October 21, 2007

Where have all the squirrels gone?

Where have all the squirrels gone?
Long time passing
Where have all the squirrels gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the squirrels gone?

... and so the lyrics go to this made up song (the tune is Where have all the flowers gone, by Pete Seger) in my head every time I walk out the back door into my yard. 

                             

I first asked myself the question about the missing squirrels two weeks ago when I set out to experience the freedom that comes from walking without any foot coverings and without a care in the world (I do occasionally have such moments). The acorns bit into my feet mercilessly with each unprotected step.

I wondered at that... why have I never noticed acorns covering my yard like this before? We've lived here for 25 years. I don't remember trying to avoid so many acorns before. It then occurred to me that squirrels have been doing a good job keeping our yard acorn free. I had never realized how thorough they have been all these years... until this year.

The squirrels are slacking off. That was my first thought.

I looked up into the trees.  I wondered: I haven't seen very many squirrels lately. Where are they? Yeah (said with great suspicion), in fact, my dogs often chase them this time of year because the little furry acorn consumers are out and about gathering up the nuts. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen or heard Max nor Misty bark very much as they watch the yard from a perch on the chair in our living room. No, there haven't been very many squirrels at all.

In fact,if I rely on the measure of acorns to account for squirrel presence, possibly there are no squirrels visiting our yard. At all. Nada.

                                              

I imagine Max wondered where they are, too, as we walked around the woods surrounding the yard today.

And another thing. We have a beautiful cherry blossom tree... let me rephrase that: had. Here is how it looked back during Easter week of this year.

                            

It was full of pink cherry blossoms this spring, then it died suddenly, dropping all its leaves before summer was over.   

                             

My husband had pruned it back in the hope that it would return next spring, but it isn't looking good so far.

                                                

As my canine companions and I walked around the yard this afternoon, I took a few pictures of the changes, not only in the leaves of the trees, but in the overall view. I do this every year.

In much the same way I took photos of our son from the time he was born, I have been taking pictures of our home and yard, to lovingly document the changes through the seasons of each year, and to remember the days when we first built our home, moved in, and first began landscaping.

Like a growing child, our yard has been transformed by our attempts to find something we can maintain.

When we first moved in, we were ambitious, and planted all sorts of trees, shrubbery, and smaller plants. We soon discerned that some plants loved the sun and others loved the shade. When we became aware that our yard was a shade yard, we began looking for plants that would thrive with less sunlight. Then we discovered our soil was acid, so we had to neutralize it from time to time. We've had vegetable gardens in our yard, but mostly we've grown and nurtured perennials, and some annuals.

Hostas have been a successful favorite in our yard, and azaleas, rhododendrons, crepe myrtle, and dogwoods. There was a time when our front yard looked like a jungle for all the hostas, yuccas, and philodendrons we had growing. In the winter, we'd bring philodendrons into the house ... they grew so big I had to give them away to someone with more space in their home.

Over the years, we have downsized the yard, planting less. Several years after we moved into our home, Steve's thoughts turned to his love for fish. With the pond he built in the front yard came cattails, water lilies,lotus, and other water/bog plants. That pond was part of our yard/life for fifteen years.

The time finally came when we had to downsize. The work to maintain it was beginning to strain and stress him. It's been over a year since it's removal... he filled it in, himself, with a shovel... the koi were relocated to a larger pond a few miles down the road. There are very few plants  left for us to maintain. Mostly just grass, a few hostas, a few azaleas, and the hardwoods growing around us.

It's a good thing, too, since this year has seen near drought-level rainfall... not much... not enough to make a difference.  I don't know how we could have kept our pond up in a low water season/year like this one. Many of our trees are dying. We haven't tried to water them due to concerns for water levels. I think it's a shared concern in much of the Southeastern United States.

Where have all the squirrels gone this year? Could they be living closer to the river? A year ago we had a water source in our yard, the pond. Perhaps they need to stay close to water as well. I thought little critters got their water supply from dew on the grass, but I can tell you, even in the mornings I have seen very little dew.

Yeah, I'm thinking they've moved closer to the river behind our property, about a half mile away actually.

Then there's the  article I read in the Kids National Geographic magazine that came in the mail yesterday. Coyotes are moving closer to the city, it reported. They are about the size of a small German Shepherd, they walk around, hunting at night, and laying low during the day.

My friend and neighbor called me last week and described the yip of pups and the howl of an adult coyote close to her house. She said it sounded like they (possibly a mother and her pups) were walking toward my end of the street. It's possible they are living in our neighborhood.

Coyotes prey on squirrel... don't they? Well, any that come down from the trees after dark. If any would do that. Maybe that's where some of the squirrels have gone.....?

...and maybe I need to keep a closer eye on my dogs at night.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should be talking about squirrels... I just had said to Chris that since I had been in Florida 2002.... I had not seen ONE SQUIRREL.  I am from Mass, and it was a daily chore to keep the squirrels away from the feed in the barn, the birdfeeders and the dog food outside the door...... There were so many..... now we see none, except for the very day I said that last week, I looked out the front window and low and behold, a squirrel was trying to get at the new birdfeeder we put up in the front garden.  It left and we haven't see it since......You are right, where have they gone.  Would be interested to hear if others are experiencing the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Squirrels eh? Don't have any in this island, but plenty of grey ones elsewhere. And they should be red ones.

Anonymous said...

Usually this time of year our yard is full of squirrels scurrying about, but this year I 've only seen 3 or 4. Weird!
Have a good week.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

They've all come HERE!!  Squirrels are everywhere and there a plenty of squashed ones in the street.  

Russ

Anonymous said...

Still enough squirrels around here to ruin a pecan crop!  I promise Pete and Bubba didn't get yours.  ;o)  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I hope the squirrels come back to you. Looks like you have a lovely house.



Anonymous said...

beautiful entry Bea! you have a nice garden there
hugs,nat

Anonymous said...

Loved reading this and seeing all the pictures Bea.  Over here the grey squirrel is considered vermin.  Probably because they have almost eradicated the red squirrel, which is now a protected species.  If you catch a grey squirrel over here you must put it down.  You are not allowed to release it back into the wild.  We have several white squirrels here on the estate that I live on.  I have not seen them yet, but everyone else has!  I posted pictures of it on my Oak Cottage blog last week that the Estate manager shared with me.  Very interesting!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

We have lots of squirrels over this way, Bea. Must be all the rain. Lots of coyotes in the bushes, but the squirrels seem to outrun them. Saw four yesterday morning. Three black ones and one grey. They have been scampering in the back yard foraging under the leaves. Seems to like the Alder trees, even though we are now minus a couple, thanks to that windstorm awhile back. Take care!
Sincerely, Rose~*

Anonymous said...

It makes sense to downsize your garden Bea. When I first moved to this house I missed my large garden and all the shrubs and 'birthday' trees I had planted over the years. Then ill health made me appreciate the compactness of this one and I was happy again.  Bryan now does it for me.  
Watering in drought conditions can be a worry!  I collected all the bath and shower water then, as well as the soapy hand washing up water and gave that to my thirsty plants.  They survived..thank goodness.  Grey squirrels are classed as vermin in Britain and we have to kill them or report them.  I could never kill a little creature even though I see them scampering around more now than the red native squirrels. I would think your first guess about the squirrels moving nearer to the water sources was correct. Our Koi pond encourages all sorts of visitors.  At present we have a pair of bobbing yellow wagtails skimming the surface of the water for a drink each day.
I love your photographs and 'ouch!' to walking on those acorn shells.  That must have been funny to watch.  lol!  I hope you get to the bottom of your missing squirrels soon.
Hugs
Jeanie xx

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))Have a nice week.

Anonymous said...

Love this entry, the Seger melody is so addictive, now you have me humming it! I wonder if our extreme drought has driven the squirrels away. I did not realize that we have coyotes moving closer to neighborhoods. That's a little scary! I empathize with you over the cherry blossom tree; I have a tulip magnolia in my back yard that has not weathered the drought very well. I'm hoping that it is merely dormant and that it will bllom again in the spring.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

I think they've come to our yard, because I've seen more of them than usual this year.  Actually the pond being gone and the coyotes being closer to town aren't bad surmises.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Is that a bear in the photo? You'd better give him your pic-a-nic basket, like immediately.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they all took refuse in my yard as I seen to have an abundance of them this year.  Seriously though I would watch the dogs.

                 Julie

Anonymous said...

    The squirrel population is strong here as well. We have coyotes, deer and raccoon living side by side here. And I'm only a block from the City of Chicago. It amazes me that wildlife can life in this urban area.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

We had lots and lots of squirrels in our two huge maple trees all spring and summer.  I don't recall that I see them much any year after fall starts to get closer to winter.  Do they semi-hibernate?

Your home is lovely.  I do remember my first house with my ex.  LOL...I had no idea what plants were shade and what were sun loving and mixed them all up.  I hope your tree comes back.  That has happened to my mother's dogwood occasionally.  It has come back the next year after a pruning.  Have a good weekend!  Chris

Anonymous said...

I know where the chipmunks have gone, LOL.  If you want to know, they came to my yard, and dug up my spring bulbs.  They routed out several of them!  I can't believe it.  Now I am not so sympathetic to creatures such as squirrels and chipmunks, LOL.  By the way, that red velvet ant in your sidebar scares me!  I will have nightmares looking at it, LOL.  Hugs,

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

hey, I agree less squirrels in th neighborhood. Either coyotes really having a feast or the fact that more of our neighbors are gun enthusiasts. I have been hearing gun fire a lot more this year. As long as their targets are the squirrels and not our dogs......well you know. But the coyotes singing at night has been a bit eerie since we have never heard them here before.
alyson