It's Saturday... where did the holiday go?
Gone already, so fast. Monday and Tuesday was school. After school on Tuesday, I tutored til 5:00, thinking all the time how great it was that I would have Wednesday off to clean my house. Which it was and I did. Truly, I never clean so thoroughly and deeply as I do when I'm expecting a visit from my family.
So my house was put into order for the duration of the Christmas holidays as well. Yeay! That's a right on! for Russ's journal (Inner and Outer Demons) I forgot to mention when I submitted my "Right on!" to him by email today.
My sister from Georgia, and her husband, arrived Thursday, just in time for dinner. She would have gotten here earlier, but I convinced her not to arrive before noon because I had things to do before she got here (did I say I washed windows while the turkey was roasting?) And while the potatoes were boiling, I swept the floors, and while the cake was baking the day before, I was putting all my unironed clothes in the closet so they would be out of sight. Well, almost thorough...<grin>
Dinner was the feast it was supposed to be ... my son baked the pumpkin pie as soon as the turkey came out of the oven, and while I heated up the glazed sweet potatoes (made from scratch of course), my husband carved up the turkey.
As we ate, I couldn't help thinking that my sister and I have not done this together... ever... because of long distance (in the past she has lived in California and in Connecticut). It had never been a possible or practical trip for either of us to make over the years. Every year I've been spending Thanksgiving Day with my in-laws, and it has always been something we looked forward to in the past. His family became my family long ago, and the traditions we kept with them for 27 years have made me feel like I belonged with them, and they to me.
Over the summer, my sister and I were talking, trying to make plans to visit each other this year. I invited her to my home for Thanksgiving... she was able to work it into her work schedule (and so was her husband) and got the time off. I'm so glad they came ... not only for Thanksgiving meal, but for some sister time. Little things like watching a movie on tv together, or talking at the dinner table, looking at old photos, even walking around the block or in the yard felt significant. It was good to see her, how healthy she looked, the weight she has lost. Her smile is so bright these days. Her eyes laugh when she laughs now. I remember when they didn't.
She asked if we could go shopping on Friday at the Christmas 365 store she saw from the highway, and so we did... it was my first time there as well. That's where I saw the knitted blue winter vests, and bought two of them, one for her and one for me. Aren't we a pair? She and Mike looked great this year, both having lost a great deal of weight. Now it's my turn!

The other good news is that it was my son's twenty-ninth birthday on Thanksgiving Day. A couple of days before, I had written Marie (Marie's Muses) an email asking her if she had a recipe for Bavarian Cream filling and a whipped cream icing. I was trying to make the kind of cake that WalMart sells in their bakery. It's the best bavarian cream filled cake I've ever had, but this year, rather than buying the cake, I wanted to bake my own.
Marie responded graciously quick. I had all the ingredients except the heavy cream, which I purchased on my way home from school on Tuesday. I whipped up both the filling and the icing on Wednesday while the 2 layers baked. Then, right after dinner, I spread the filling and icing on the cake. I will never buy another cake at the bakery... it was too easy to make my own with this particular recipe.
Thank You, Marie!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR SON!
I've been reading about how thankful everyone is for their family and friends. More than anything, I am thankful for mine. I wouldn't be here sharing these stories without them.
I don't want to invade their privacy any further, so I'm going to end this entry now.
BTW, a big thank you to Shauneenie for sending me the little animated graphic of my name which I added to my sidebar today. If you didn't know, she is about to move from her lifetime home in South Africa to a new home in Southeast England. It is exciting, yet scary to pack up one's belongings and family like that, to leave one's friends,one's school behind, answering a distant call that will carry them all into an unknown (for them). It is the beginning of a new adventure, right Caroline?
If you have time, drop in and leave her an encouraging word.



17 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Beautiful pics, HB to the BD Guy! {{}}
Sugar
What a wonderful holiday treat for you!!!! I'm happy for you. - Barbara
Happy Thanksgiving! I am so glad you and Joy got to spend it together. You all look great. Your hair looks so pretty, I love the flippy part. Hugs and Kisses xoxoxo
Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Bea. How nice that you got to spend time with your sister. I know how much I miss mine and how wonderful it would be to have here here for a few days, so I can well imagine how special this time was for you together. Love the picture of you in your vests! You are such a pretty lady! I'm so glad the cake worked out! Looks like your son enjoyed it! He is a handsome man isn't he! I'm always more than happy to help out anyone with a recipe if I have it to share! It's one of the things I love to do. Hope that you enjoy the rest of your weekend Bea!
love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
A happy and warm entry! I needed to read something this hopeful after the day I had. Thank you.
hug,
Russ
What a wonderful Thanksgiving you had. We sure have a lot to be thankful for when we have loving family around us. I am fortunate that both my sisters stay very close to me now so I see them often. However there was atime when I lived in scotland they were down here and we saw them only once or twice in the year. It was sad especially when the children were wee, We shared lots of photo's of course but it's not quite the same. You and your sister do look so alike except for the hair colour ! lovley photographs of all of you Thanks you for sharing them; Much Love sybil lxx
Love the photos and that cake looks to die for.
What a lovely day you had.
Carolxx
Sounds like you had a nice couple of days, Bea
Bea..I am so very impressed with that amazing cake..well done!! I loved reading about you spending time with your sister...I can so identify with that! I LOVE those vests and I really NEEEEED one LOL. Most of all...a HUGE BIG THANK YOU for your kind words and thoughtfulness for sending others over to encourage me...it means sooo much to me! It reminds me of the verse 1 John 19:4 "We love because He loved us first!) Thank you for your Jesus love. Mwah xx Shauneen
((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))You will have beatiful memories to last a life time.I love the pics,beatiful smiles.i hope your Son had a ncie Birthdya.have a great week.
I'm so glad you and your sister got to spend this holiday together. I love getting together with my sisters. The cake looks scrumptious, too!
Lori
You have what I have struggled
to have for nearly all my life.
For that, and for your expressions
of pleasure and satisfaction for
your family I greatly admire you.
Your son is a splendid looking young
man!
Barry
http://journals.aol.com/bbartle3/Vengeance/
There's nothing quite like a family gathering. I'm glad you had a good time.
B. x
hey Bea, i hope you had a great thanks giving and i hope Steven had a happy birthday. Don't sweat it you are not the only one who want it snow and then throw it at other's! LOL well say hi to Steven and Steve for me love Marlene p.s i love the pumpkin cake!!!! Thanksgiving, a Birthday, and sisters :
I love your pics
You look so happy!
Your sister and you have the same smile and you can see the love between you.
Your son is a handsome fellow.
I can feel your contentment and satisfaction in this entry.
It is so nice to read your journal.
THere is such a feeling of well-being here, a sense of a woman happy with her life, but always wanting to learn more.
Marti
You and your sister have the same incandescent smile. When we met, one of the first things I noted was how warm your smile was. I love your description of doing final cleaning chores while the food cooks; I do the same thing! This is a wonderful entry; it really speaks of family and love.--Sheria
Bea sister Joy writing, we had so much fun, just being with you makes so much of an inpact on my holiday. You and Steve are so gracious to just let us stay over, we just did nothing. The distance is a killer and it isnt really far, maybe the anticipation, it was fun. I got to eat out and eat pie, I ate a whole 16" pie by myself when I got home, lol, gained 6 lbs but I am happy to say it is off again. I love my vest. Wore it to work and had comments on it. Sis you are my best friend the friend that slept in the other bed growing up. You listened to all my words every night until we fell asleep, lol. You had to I wouldn't shut up, lol. You are my hero, Bea. We are so different, you so calm, me all caos, lol, and I love you. Miss you and thank you for our friendship we have. love your sister Joy, we had fun and you spent more money than me, lol ssshhhh!
Post a Comment