The remnant of the cold/virus I've had since last week-end kept me indoors one more day. Tomorrow is a teacher workday... I will be ready to get back into my classroom. It has felt and looked like winter around here for several days, and I'm feeling a bit satisfied about that. A good, cold, dreary winter always makes spring that much more glorious in the coming.
Yet these days have been anything but dreary... the sun is shining, the skies are clear, and the roads are safe to drive on. However, I've stayed inside and piddled and dawdled all the day long. I've studied, searched on the internet, responded to emails, and visited some of your journals. I've installed the new Yahoo! Music Jukebox since I had failed to do it back in August when Music Match Jukebox expired. Yep, been at the computer all morning. Thank you all for your concerns... I am getting better. Just an occasional throat clearing cough.
Kirigami ... the Japanese art of paper cutting. Origami is the art of paper folding. Actually, Kirigami combines both, folding and cutting. Many of you are already familiar with it, might even have done it without realizing it.... remember those snowflakes you cut out as a kid from folded paper? Or making a chain of dolls or people holding hands? Those are the simpler versions of paper cutting.
Here is some history: First came that Chinese invention of paper from wood pulp. The word paper comes from the Egyptian word papyrus, a plant that grew along the Nile. The Egyptians had mastered the skill of making sheets of papyrus for 3,000 years before the Chinese learned to make it from wood pulp around 104 A.D.
Still,you have to give credit to the Chinese for finding a more practical resource to make paper: trees. Papyrus didn't exactly grow in very many places, and wood pulp was more widely available around the world. It didn't take long for people to find ways to use the new paper product other than for writing. Red was a predominant color in the Chinese paper cuttings. Here is an example... click on link.
In Mexico, paper cutting is called Papel Picado. The Aztecs of pre-Hispanic Mexico used the bark of mulberry and fig trees to make a paper from which they fashioned colorful flags and banners to decorate their temples during rituals and festivals. Present day papel picado is made from colored tissue paper. The colors are chosen for specific festivals, depending upon which holiday is being celebrated.
In Poland, it is called wycinanki (vee-chee-non-kee). Bright colors of circles, roosters, stars, and flowers arranged symmetrically were popular designs that decorated homes from the mid-1800s. Traditionally, they would whitewash their walls and adhere the delicate cut-outs to the walls to decorate for the Easter season. Here is a web site with some very intricate examples of wycinanki by Susan Throckmorton. If you have a minute, it's worth checking out.
The Germans called it scherenschnitte, and they may have been the ones who brought it to our country. Think early Pennsylvania Dutch designs. The link in this paragraph will take you to an artist's web site who does work in that style.
I'm not going to give a big lesson on paper cutting here, just wanted to show you what I've been playing around with in this state of semi-hibernation. I'm leaving some links for your own perusal... the works you'll see if youbranch out from this journal are far more exquisite and elaborate than my own fumblings.
The paper cuttings, my own I might add, that you see spread across my dining room table, are all simple by comparison, but even so they took a great deal of time. I started them on Friday evening while I waited with excitement for that winter weather advisory we got the next morning. Each of the above designs come from a single sheet of copy paper, to give you an idea of size.
The six colorful trials below show some of the ideas I came up with as I thought about how to teach it to my third graders next week. My lesson plan includes showing the kids some examples (mine as well as some from the internet), demonstrating how I do it, then giving them precut strips of paper on which they will draw their own design to cut out. To simplify it, I used an 8 inch by 2.5 inch strip, folded in half twice. This thickness can be cut easily with a sharp, school-style pair of scissors. The two in the middle, yellow and pink side by side, were the easiest to do as the shapes are basic and easy to get to from the sides of the folded paper. I may start with those for the class. The others required a little more finesse, if you will... careful cutting and handling of the paper.
The ones below are the same as above, just a closer look. They are each about a half sheet of the brighter tones of copy paper. I included the little 2.5" x 4" white drawing to show how I draw each design to complete 1/4 of the final piece ... the paper is folded in half, twice.

Though the above designs are my own, I do have a book that I bought over the Christmas holiday from Barnes and Nobles. It provides more thrilling examples that I can follow, but are difficult for a child. Which is why I'm taking what I'm learning from the book, and translating it into third grade simplicity.
Here's a picture of the book in case you are interested. Those little Cutter Bee scissors are great for this kind of work, but any small, sharp, pair of scissors will do this level of work.

I have to add that it took nearly as much time typing up and entering this post as it did to cut out all those designs!
Finally, a shout out to my brother Joe, his wife and their two daughters, one of whom was married on Saturday in sunny California. Congratulations to my newlywed niece, Wesley and her husband, Robert. May you both have a long and prosperous life together. My card and a letter are forthcoming!
I almost forgot... I don't think anyone can top the work of Peter Callasen ...talk about elaborate! Amazing doesn't even describe the wonder of his work. He takes paper cutting to a new level, three dimensional sculpture. You have got to visit this website if you are interested in paper sculpture, or even if you are not. It's a trip for the eyes and the mind. How does he do that? I'd love to see a video of him at work.
Thank you, Sher (wunzuponatime), for sending me that email of Peter's work just as I was doing all these papercuttings... verytimely of you!


16 comments:
I would lose a finger if I tried to do any of that!
Russ
I hope you are feeling much better. Very interesting history of kirigami.
Lori
You know I would of loved to have had you for a teacher when I was in school. Your so creative and make learning interesting. Consider me your 42 year old student. I'm always learning something new from you. You did an awesome job on the kirigami you did yourself. I might actually try this for myself.
On another note, thanks for the email hon and the pictures you sent with it. I always love to hear from you! (Hugs) Indigo
I have done origami and Sherenschnitte. I Love working with paper. I also like to make cards and do scrapbooking. I love looking at paper sillouettes as well. You are a wonderful teacher Bea. I hope that you feel better soon!
love,
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/
Especially the Peter Callason website. Unfortunately, me and scissors don't get along, I'd be a danger to myself and anyone in the vicinity if I tried this.
Glad you're on the mend Bea.
B. x
Now that was a delightful site to visit Bea! How fascinating to see how one flat piece of paper can become a three dimentional work of art.
I well remember making snow flakes like these as a child. That brings back memories.
Good luck with introducing the concept to the children. I can't wait to see how they get on!
Glad that you are feeling much better now.
Look after yourself carefully.
Hugs
Jeanie xx
One of my older brothers had the knack of paper cutting ~ where he learned it I do not know he tried teaching us but I was never very good at it ~ loved the ones you have made ~ Ally x
I love the work you did here. I also visited the one site and couldn't believe the whimsical quality of that last entry. Incredible. Thank you for showing this.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/Jmorancoyle/MyWay
Wow! Nicely done, and well researched, too! I especially love the arrangement of all those great designs on and table and shot from above. Excellent!
(((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))Very intresting.Thanks for sharing and have a nice evening.
Hmmm, didn't get the alert for this...ugh. Anyway, I'm forwarding this to my oldest daugther, Becky, the microbiologist. She is also a pretty accomplished artist and does origami. I didn't realize it had different names according to country. Glad you're feeling better but love your creations. Have a good weekend and stay warm. Chris
I have learned so many things from you! I made snowflakes as a chjild but I never knew that there was an entire genre of art that addressed paper cutting. You made such beautiful designs. I wish that I could be in your third class! They are going to have such fun with this project.--Sheria
I am familiar only with the German version and have seen some elaborate works done in books. I have only tried it once and loved doing it. Seems so relaxing for me to have something in my hands to work on. There is a beautiful one that is a tag right now going around in J-Land. Lisa Jo, from Damaged Goods Three has one tonight that moves. And I thought about it. Then I visit you and you're talking and educating about it. These are very fine. You always make me wish I was the third grade girl in your class, the one with all the questions, and samples of things I tried at home and cannot wait to share with you because you care. These children are so blessed and I hope that they know it.
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/
You really made some beautiful artwork here Bea. I remember trying Kirigam yrs ago and what came out was just...unrecognizable as anything lol. VERY nice to see someone credit the ancient Egyptians for their priceless contributions to the world of scribing. And to think - w/o the Rosette Stone we'd still be pondering the meaning of hieroglyphics. Nice entry, save everything you make! CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/
I've seen many examples of this art at Polish Fest, held each year on Milwaukee's lakefront.
BTW, if you are still interested in the show Lost, I'm posting a weekly entry after each airing.
http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom/entries/2008/02/07/lost-confirmed-dead/2241
Dear Bea,
thank you for a wonderful entry!
My teen was flabbergasted with the extraordinary designs shown at our last Art Inter national Fest..lovely.... He was so intrigued by the fantastic work that the chines had done!
thanks Bea! I hope you are totally well now!
love,nat
Post a Comment