Monday, January 21, 2008

Snow storm... and copyrights

First snow storm in 2008 hits Alamance County!

Well, that wasn't exactly the way the news headlines explained what we got yesterday, but that's what it felt like.

As the students boarded the buses and climbed into their cars on Friday, we encouraged them to do the Snow Dance because we were hoping for snowfall over the weekend. Most of the kids could not remember anything more than a dusting in their brief lifetimes. The last time we had a real good snowfall of 14 inches or more was back in the 90's... early 90's.

It fell quietly as the day came to a close Saturday. Surprisingly, it was cold enough to stay all through Sunday... and roads were icy enough to cause many churches to cancel their services. Including mine.

As soon as I woke up, I threw on some shoes, a long-sleeved shirt, and my snow vest (the blue one I'm wearing in the sidebar that I bought when my sister was here), and out the door I trod with my Canon in my hand. Here are two to view:

                                     

 

                                    

 

I had taken video footage of the snow with my camera, which is really what I wanted to show you here, but I haven't finished making the movie yet. I'm looking for the right music.

Speaking of music....

I've been rethinking the music portion of my videos. Should I add music or not? I want to, but there are the copyright laws.... I'm a teacher... I can't ignore them. Actually, no one should ignore them. Theyare laws to protect the copyright owner as well as the individual who wants to make fair use of copyrighted material. I thought I knew these laws well enough... at least in regard to making copies of printed materials to use in the classroom.

But do I know them well enough to be making movies and adding music? No... as I'm finding out... not really.

Every year teachers are reminded about the copyright laws regarding music, video, tv, movies, and books. We're always making copies of things to show in our classrooms. Fair Use laws allow us to do this for classroom purposes, within reason.

I usually get permission from authors before I make a copy of their text. Most will gladly give it and remind me that it isn't necessary because my intent falls within the fair use laws.

Once I tried to get permission to use a video portion from Dances With Wolves that would help me demonstrate a necessary reading skill and concept, visualization. I had received permission from the publisher of the book to copy an excerpt from the book, the same scene that was in the movie I wanted to show. The movie scene followed the book scene closely and I thought it would make a great example of visualization. My plan was to have the kids read the excerpted text, about three pages worth, then have them visualize the scene, and draw it on paper. Then we would talk about what they saw as they read the author's words. Finally, I would show them the video clip from the movie. We'd talk about how the director visualized the same scene, how it was like what they had imagined, how it was different from what they had imagined. What words in the text helped them to visualize the scene?  etc.

It was taking too long to find out if I could get permission, so I proceeded with my lesson while I waited for the response. Weeks later, I still had not heard from the film people, but the book publisher assured me that, since my intent was to use it in the classroom in the manner I had described to him, he thought it was permissable.

The lesson went well, the kids loved it, and were surprised that they had imagined much the same as the director had thought the scene should go. Remember, these areall kids who are too young to remember Dances With Wolves... none of them had seen it. BTW, the scene I'm referring to is the one where Lt. Dunbar is being followed by Two-Socks. He tries to chase the wolf away, but with no success. The wolf playfully chases down the lieutenant, and the two parry with each other. The LaKota People see the two 'dancing', and that's how Dunbar gets his new name. The descriptive paragraphs in the book were excellent examples to use for this particular task.

My point is that whenever I use copyrighted material, I seek to get permission from the copyright owner. But I didn't with my videos. I thought it fell under the Fair Use Law... butI've been looking into it this weekend, and I'm having my doubts.

I did some searches today... took me forever to read the various debates and articles on it. I even checked out aol uncut video's copyright policy

"Therefore, if you create something and include portions of another person's copyrighted work in it (example: creating a video with part or all of a song in it), in most cases you must have permission to use that content for that purpose. Therefore, as a general rule, you should not include copyrighted works in your video without authorization. If we receive notice from a copyright owner that you have done so, we are required by law to remove your video from our site, unless and until you can show us that you have the rights or a permissible exception."

That's pretty plain as day to me. I need to seek permission for all those videos I've already made or they are gone.

That's what I'll be doing on MLK day... looking for some names and addresses of people to get their permission... for the Lion King music, the Yanni music, Josh Groban, Randy Travis, I've used their music (I own the CDs, but that doesn't give me any special privileges) ..... ugh!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the copyright thing is a pain, but that's how it is.   There's some AOL thing in which they've made arrangements to use certain material and you can include that, but even so I don't think that includes adding it to an original video.

That's why I never use music in my blog (that, and bandwidth considerations), and confine my use of copyrighted images to screen captures and photos of physical objects.

Nice show pictures, though!  

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about the laws regarding copyrights, but I do know the music industry is cracking down hard on all sorts of usage.  Tell Randy Travis I always thought he was kinda hot.  ;)

Russ

Anonymous said...

I think you are a fab teacher Bea.  Your students are really very lucky to have such a caring and considerate person to share her wealth of knowledge with them.  We had a few flakes of snow one day, but that's about it.  I do miss snow in the winter time.  (what I don't miss is the shoveling and having to clean the car off before you go anywhere!)
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea
The pic of your deck is a little different from the one of last week.  My Mom was talking to one of her cousins in Burlington and she said they had a BLIZZARD that lasted all of ten or fifteen minutes.  LOL.  We were shortchanged.  I bundled up, grabbed my camera and headed out to get my annual snow shots.  It stopped before I could get downtown.  But I did win a few bets.  Before Christmas, I had predicted snow on the 20th of January.  I was noticed studying the bubbles on the surface of my coffee down at the cafe and asked what I was doing.  So I made a few bets.  I never said how much snow, so those two flakes counted enough to win the bet.  
Cheers
Clyde in VA
Ps. I will sing for your blog anytime.

Anonymous said...

What a complcated life we seem to have these days Bea. I often give a glancing thought to copyright laws when I am reading a story or poem to our lady's guild...These photographs are so lovely.  It is noce to see the snow..so long as it is here today and gone tomorrow !!  Like you we have very little snow nowadays nothing like years ago.  You would think that would be enough proof for the global warming doubters.  Have a good week. Hope that you are feeling much better. love Sybil x

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))I think I told you in my email,this houe here looks so much like my Aunt Marrys house in Pa Maryland.Have a nice night.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the pictures, thanks for sharing, you could use them as Christmas cards.
Thanks for the heads up on copyright laws as I fell foul of this last year and recieved a very nasty e-mail from the owner. I thinks it's fantastic that you use video as an teaching aid I for one would have responded much better if it was in use when I was at school.

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My hat is off to you for doing the right thing and seeking permission of the artists.  I wish I could help you with all of them.  I can however, give you one contact - for Yanni.  Please email YMusicMuse@aol.com.

If you include very complete information (which song(s), how much of the song, what the use is, etc.), it makes it easier to answer your questions.

And okay, a little promotion for my favorite artist too - have you checked out the behind the scenes videos on his website.  He's working with Ric Wake (Oscar and Grammy winning vocal producer) and several incredible young artists to produce new music.  It's amazing!

Anonymous said...

Good for you, in doing what's right.
Have a good day.  {{}}
Sug

Anonymous said...

Food for thought indeed. I hope you manage to track down the necessary parties. It would be such a shame to have to remove those excellent videos.

B. x

Anonymous said...

I had never considered any of that.  Good to know!
Lori

Anonymous said...

For Randy Travis, you can contact his assistant at Charlene@RandyTravis.com.

Anonymous said...

really are you serious , I never knew that I would think that would be free advertising and as long as you are not using it for profit they should not care .
geez
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

you are much more thorough than I would ever think about being. Kudos to you
Madrti