Saturday, March 29, 2008

Portrait of Max

                                                    

I sat down and sketched my Max today. The way I want to remember him. After I forget all the details of his passing. This is the Max who livened up our home.

I had him for 9 1/2 years, and the only time I drew him from life was long ago, when both dogs were sitting outside in the yard or on the chair in the living room. I don't even know where those sketches are, but I'm going to find it. Most of the sketches I did of them were when they were sleeping... had to get them when they were still. Sometimes they would sit and stare out a window long enough for me to capture them in pencil or pen and ink. Yeah, I have some of them around somewhere. Just got to find the sketch book they're in.

I have drawn pictures of all our dogs after they passed on. Just a few months ago I was thinking I should draw Max and Misty from life, in natural everyday poses. My sketches from life are more lively and spontaneous than the ones I copy from photographs. But I kept putting it off. Never put off until tomorrow... yeah, I know.

I sketched this one from a photograph... except the top of his head was cropped off, so I had to make up what the ears looked like. But I remember my baby's ears. They were my second favorite part to touch, after his head. His ears were the softest, silkiest ears to touch.

This is only the first of many sketches I will do as I work on a larger pencil drawing, or perhaps a watercolor. Something to hang alongside our other pet portraits.

We miss him so much. Today was probably the hardest day because I was home all day, alone. My husband had gone to work, and I was home with plenty to do, but couldn't get up the motivation to do more than write, read, putter about the house, and take Misty out for a walk. It's so quiet without Max's barks and the way he would 'talk' when I petted his belly ... low, soft growling sounds that sounded like speech. Misty doesn't do it like Max did.

                                    

While I was looking for a file to save the image of the pencil sketch, I found this picture in the same folder. Max and his soft football. We buried him with that football. Steve laid it beneath his head like a pillow. Sometimes Max slept on it like a pillow. He loved for me to throw that football. He'd leap into the air like a basketball player trying to catch it before it hit the ground. If Misty took it and ran, Max would chase her down, snatch the ball from her, and run back to me with it.

I like to think that he and our other dogs are running around together, perhaps hanging out with my dad, his dog, my sister, my niece, and their dog. I'd like to think he's running across Rainbow Bridge, playing with the other dogs who went before him, wagging his tail, waiting for Misty, waiting for Steve and me.

I'd like to think of Max anywhere other than where he is right now.

I'm still sad... sorry for making such sad entry. I think it helps to write about my feelings just now. I will have happy things to write about again.

 

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwww  *hugs*   The sketch is great!
d

Anonymous said...

Great tribute to Max, thanks for sharing

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

You write whatever you need to write. This is a beautiful sketch, you are such a talented artist and you do Max proud.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))Thanks for sharing your very nice entry of Max and it is a beatifl drawubg if Him.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful sketch done with love.  Well done.

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

And who is to say he isn't prancing over that Rain Bow Bridge?

Anonymous said...

I know you are so sad right now.  It is awfully hard especially at first and many people just do not understand that it's not 'just a dog', but that he was truly a member of the family, your companion and a real friend.  I am so sorry for your losing your baby.  Your sketch is very good and accurate too.  I do many sketches before I do the actual portrait.  I enjoy using pencils, but over the last few years have a fondness for Verithin colored pencils.  I haven't done anything in about two years.  Dirk is wanting to see me get back to painting again, (acrylics).  I'm out of practice.  It seems the muse comes and goes for so many different interests, from the writing, to the music, to art again.  
Thank you for your sweet and insightful comments in my journal today.  It encouraged and edified, I felt my strength being bouyed up somehow. I needed that and want to make sure you are thanked.  

Nelishia

Anonymous said...

i wrote to you when Max died...Chris sent me. I lost the love of my life, Buddy, on 12/5. He was a beagle. I think it is a blessing that you are able to express yourself by drawing Max. What a lovely treasure for you to have. We buried Buddy with many momento's that meant alot to us and him too. My husband just now quit crying daily over Buddy. I think he cried everyday for 3 months. Huge hugs going out to you.
lisa

Anonymous said...

My dear Bea, My heart also aches for you. Each and every time one of my friends dear pet dies it brings it back into focus just how much I miss my lovely wee dogs especially Tamas who had a special corner in my heart.  I love my wee Dee  but he isn't quite the same ( I just hope he dosn't know that )  writing through the tears with love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

Hello Bea,  I'm one of the 'lurkers' you wrote about a few entries ago!  You should not apologise for writing such a beautiful tribute to Max, of course it helps you to write about him, and the drawing is so life-like.  We only have photos - and wonderful memories of course - of our little black mongrel Mac, who was so funny and so very much loved by all who knew him.  The neighbours always used to talk to him, even the postman had a soft spot for him. He died ten years ago but we still remember and talk about him often.  A lovely entry.  Pat

Anonymous said...

(((hugs)))  I think that's a lovely sketch of Max.  Our Jess makes those lovely little sounds when I am stroking her belly too...I like to think of it as her version of purring.  I love it.
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful drawing, Bea!  So much love in every stroke...  

You just vent your little heart out about Max.  It's okay.  We are all supportive and are here for you.. to read, and listen... and give virtual hugs as needed.

Our dogs are like our children, as odd as some may find that.  They love us unconditionally... just like God.  Ever wonder why God is Dog spelled backwards?  

Hugs and love
Jackie

Anonymous said...

What a happy mischievous and alert face Max has in your sketch Bea.
I couldn't type straight away as I had a lump in my throat from reading your entry about him.  It brought back loving memories of my old dog Guy.  We only ever had one dog and I have been unable to replace him because he was so special in our hearts.
Write about Max all you want...we are all here to wrap our arms around you and to share your sad moments as well as your happy ones too.
Much love and hugs

Jeanie xxxx

Anonymous said...

Bea, that sketch is just lovely.  I know your heart has to be so heavy and aching.  It hasn't even been that long.  Your little guy wasn't even sick which makes it harder.  Most of us have pets and have lost our beloved furr babies so we know how you are feeling.  I know Max has crossed that Rainbow Bridge.  My last pastor was asked if pets went to Heaven.  I suppose some debate that issue.  His answer was that Heaven is perfect.  There is no sadness, illness, etc.  If we would be sad in Heaven without our pets, then, of course, our pets will be waiting for us.  Sending you a huge hug....Chris

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It is a beautiful sketch and a nice remembrance.

Dan

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

pets are as much a part of our lives as our loved ones....no matter it still hurts...you are very talented in your drawings.
I am sorry for your loss...... you still have the great memories and that is what will keep him alive in your heart....
Kelly~

Anonymous said...

That's such a great picture Bea, and you have so many happy memories. I'm sure Max will never be far away.

B. x

Anonymous said...

wow that sure is a great portrait...you are very talented...
Lyn

Anonymous said...

Great portrait, Bea - it's all part of that process of coming to terms :-\

Anonymous said...

{{{ hugs }}}}  I am sorry about your Max.  He is happy and healthy and running around on the Other Side, waiting to meet you again one day...

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are an incredible artist... and you brought tears to my eyes.  I have two old dogs.  I just started a blog today, (TONIGHT ON FOX:  When Good Dogs Go Bad" (on aol journals) and included a couple of pics of my two dogs.  They're both very old and probably not long for this world.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Our dogs are members of our families and when we lose them, we truly do lose our best friends.  We have a few things in common. I too, am an artist (I paint mostly landscapes, oils and watercolors).... and I love my dogs <sigh, again, sorry for your loss... I've buried a few good furry friends too>
God bles...  (lynn)

Anonymous said...

You know, I've always tried my best to remember those that have passed away as they were in the primes of their lives...at least not the sad endings.  it is very important to keep the good memories close at hand because you want to remember, and you should remember.  Whether it is a pet or a (Human) member of the family, they all have an impact on our lives, and that should never be forgotten.  Your drawing, which is absolutely wonderful by the way, is a great way to remember the Max that was happy, healthy and able to bring so much joy to your world.

Greg

Anonymous said...

You are a very good artist... and Max is too cute...
We just lost our Kirby (cat) at the beginning of Feb... we used to say he was part dog, lol, cause he just loved to be petted and drooled on everyone.... and he was friends with all the pets in the neighborhood...
so I'm sure he's playing with Max too...
Gentle hugs....
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is an amazing sketch! I know how difficult losing a furry family member is. Creating such a fine piece of art for them is such a special way to honor what they add to our lives. You've brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry about your loss.

Anonymous said...

You are quite the artist!    
I know you hurt right now for Max, and I'm so sorry.   I know that you know time will start to replace some of the pain with wonderful memories....
Hang in there.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Glad I stopped by again so I could see what a talented artist you are.  Max was a beautiful, happy looking dog and I know you will see him again one day (as I will my beloved cats).
Hugs, Joyce

Anonymous said...

that is a nice sketch of Max and in it he has sad eyes which he probably is right now.  I  had a beloved pet, cocker and dachsund combination, who was always such a joyous dog.  Someone poisoned some meat and put it out over to my dad's house and he got it and died.  But about a week later I was half asleep and heard him move from lying on the rug. He jumped up and trotted over and jumped on my bed and laid down beside me.  I reached out a hand to pet hm and then I realized he was gone.  I felt he came back one last time to say goodby.  I was thinking that he never slept on the cold concrete floor but always on the foot of my bed.  So Max is probably going to be around for a while.  A dog's loving heart is so strong.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

Yes, you will have happy things to write again.  But right now you have to heal and this is part of the process.  You are truly blessed to have the talent to capture you Max just the way you want to remember him!  You can see the love, loyalty and playfulness in his portrait.  May your week be a lighter one!  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sketch! Please don't apologize for the sad entry, your still missing Max and that is being honest and real. I can't imagine life without Pickles. Since Doc started work a month ago as a teacher's aid she has been stuck even closer to me, almost like glue. She definitely is taking the role of taking care of me more seriously. Missy is probably missing Max alot too, between the two of you hopefully you can find some comfort to get through these sad days. Your in my thoughts dear friend during this time of sad reflection. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I love the sketch!  You got a lot of expression in his eyes.  I'm glad you can write about him and I hope that it does help.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss.  Your sketch is wonderful. :o)
http://journals.aol.com/buckoclown/Bucko

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read about your loss, Bea. It's never easy to lose a pet, because they are a part of our family.

Hugs,
Beth