Saturday, March 29, 2008

A thank you to the lurkers

Lurkers.

According to Wikipedia, "a lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board, newsgroup, chatroom, file sharing or other interactive system, but rarely participates."

I think aol journals falls under the category "other interactive system."

These people seem to be invisible. It's easy to find out if you have lurkers, but a little more complicated to find out who they are and where they are from. I have a Sitemeter in my sidebar to the left, which clearly shows many people are visiting my journal each day, but when I look at the comments, I generally get a few, 10, 15, or sometimes more.

So there are lots of people who stop and read, maybe just take a glance. They read and move on, never leaving a comment. Maybe they get here by accident, maybe while searching for a topic that I might have written about or referred to. Maybe they're journal hopping. Perhaps they don't know what to say, or are afraid that their words will be stuck on the internet forever, and will come back to haunt them at some later time.

I was a lurker when I first came to aol journals three years ago. I lurked for a month or so until I had a feel for the community, found it to be trustworthy, a place that felt comfortable. It was a relatively safe place to blog about anything. I found it to be a teaching community. Everyone I have met here has taught me some aspect about writing here, about taking pictures, or posting them, about creating a more interesting journal graphically, about tags, how to save them, how to post them. Even folks who will design a tag just for you are here! How cool is that!! This community feels stable and dependable, despite all the technical issues that have occurred over the years.

Yes, I was a lurker until I created my own journal, and started posting my own entries. Now I'm afull participant, and I have no regrets about being here. I don't always have time to post, and I don't post every day, but I do when I can. I notice that's the way it is for most of us out here.

In the past I have read many negative things about lurkers regarding our journals here in J-land. Or blogs anywhere, I suppose. Some call one type of lurker trolls because of the awful comments they leave behind. (see Donna's comment below.) The analogy to the creepy creature that lives in the dirty dark beneath a bridge, terrorizing innocent billy goat/kids is enough to keep me from walking over that bridge!

But I think the evil lurker may be in the minority of people who read but do not post entries themselves. I think, judging from the response I received from that one post, that most people who read but do not post their own entries probably have various reasons for not participating fully in the aol journal community.

They seem to be kind, thoughtful, helpful people.

When I wrote the entry about my beloved Max, I never expected to hear from so many people. I expected to hear from my J-land friends and neighbors, and BTW, you people not only rock, you are a rock of support in times of need. Any need. You all are there!

Then there were people I had never heard from before, people whose screen names and journal links I did not recognize. Some visitors came through links in other journals. (thank you for your support Chris, Sugar, and JoAnn, and anyone else who mentioned it in their journal)

The following words are for those of you who came here for the first time, who I only recently met.

I tried to thank everyone by email, but alas, someof the screen names would not accept my thank-you email, so to those unknown people who stepped out from the shadows for a time, and left a thoughtful word, a prayer, and touched me with their kindess, I say thank you. That was sweet of you to be so kind to me, a stranger.

I hope you will come again when the topic isn't so painful and sad.

And if you ever decide to start a journal, I'll be glad to help you get started with lots of encouragement.


                                      

                                             Me and my sister in Georgia during Spring Break 2008.
 
 
 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girlfriend, I was a lurker too, and that's how I learned about Jland, and was glad that I lurked. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. Some people don't know how to write or express there feelings or opinions, so they just lurk, but believe me they will recieve what they need in the lurking.
Thanks for the mention of the lurkers.
Love ya,
Liz in Va.
http://journals.aol.com/bethjunebug/Bethjunebug

Anonymous said...

lurker and troll are two different things in my eyes.  Lurkers just lurk and don't leave a mark... trolls... well they leave marks and many time they sting and stick around for a long long time...  the mark that is.
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

Bea, an interesting post. "Reading" journals and "writing" journals should perhaps have a "no comments required" tag. In another age, people sat down with a good book or magazine - "comments" played no role.

READERS WELCOME!
Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
http://journals.aol.com/daddyleer/CaregivinglyYours/
http://lairofcachalot.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Bea, I lurked for a long time even after I started my first journal.  I think mainly because I wasn't aware of just how JLand operated.  I wasn't sure if there was some sort of journal etiquette.  I almost felt like I was prying into someone's personal life by reading the journal.  I had no clue as to just what JLand was.  I was afraid to leave comments.  Then the lightbulb turned on.  I started visiting, leaving comments and my link.  Voila...lol...people actually visited me.  I really met so many more after I started my graphics journal.  You are right about the site meters having far more hits than comments.  I sure hope that others will return and share your good times with you also.  Hope you have a good spring break...I take it you visited your sister.  You two certainly look alike.  Hugs to you, Chris

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering when you would turn up again !  so glad I was when I saw Wanderer there in front of me.  I to seem to have quite a few Lurkers !  all harmless I am glad to say.  Some I only know about when I havn't written fro a while, a friend or aquaintance will say to me I have missed your journal..I say I didn't even know you read it !!!  what a lovely photograph that is of your sister and you.. Have a good week  Love sybil x

Anonymous said...

I think we all start as Lurkers" and like you when you get a feel for the community you feel at ease to join in, I've been helped by so many since I started blogging.
I've yet to ve visited by a "Troll" to leave comments just to be nasty is very sad, and I do feel sorry tha they can't feel that they can be part of something good.

A great enrty

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

A very nice post Bea. It's easy to forget those who don't often leave comments. They're as much a part of this community as anybody.

B. x

Anonymous said...

I remember following links when I first began to visit JLanders.  I lurked not wanting to be rude, whilst also thinking I had nothing to add of any worth.  Then one day something touched me and I just had to enter a comment.  My confidence grew as I got to know the journalers I visited.  I grew fond of them, becoming happy or concerned for them as their entries showed me more about their lives, characters and their natures.
I am happy to have found JLand with all its multi faceted, talented, caring and loving people.
There are some wonderful journalers here and you are certainly one of them Bea.

Jeanie xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/kirkbyj05/DaytoDayLifeintheLakes/

Anonymous said...

I sometimes lurk. sometimes its because I can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been said in a comment left by another reader. On occasion it's because I fundamentally diagree with the post but don't consider my contrary opinion to be of enough significance to voice it. I'm all for a good discussion but I don't see any point in being disagreeable for the sake of being disagreeable. Sometimes, I'm too tired to leave a comment; I like to keep up with the journals of people whose words always enchant me but it takes more energy than I have to read and to comment. I don't understand trolls at all. There is already so much hurt and anger in the world, why intentionally set out to spread dissension?

That's what I like the most about you, Bea, you have a heart wider than an ocean and never spread anything except good will.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

I have nothing against lurkers, but I hate HATE trolls who just want to cause shit.  Luckily I haven't been bothered by any for a few months now.

xox
Russ

Anonymous said...

I agree with Russ...  but, I have been fortunate enough to not have been bothered by many trolls.  Maybe I scare them??? lol   Anyway.. this was a very nice entry, Bea, and, again, I enjoyed reading it, just as I do all that you write~

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I agree with Russ...  but, I have been fortunate enough to not have been bothered by many trolls.  Maybe I scare them??? lol   Anyway.. this was a very nice entry, Bea, and, again, I enjoyed reading it, just as I do all that you write~

Hugs,
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I sometimes wonder why people do not comment when I write the best that I possibly can.  I comment on any journal that I visit.  I can tell when I've had visitors too by the sitemeter on my side bar as well.  I just wish they'd say hello if nothing else.  It makes my whole day.

Nelishia

Anonymous said...

Lovely picture of you and your sister Bea!  You can tell you are sisters, just lovely!  I get a lot of lurkers too, and even giving stuff away doesn't seem to pull them out of lurkdom.  I guess some people just like to be anonymous!
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I lurk quite a bit and have a number of them visit my site. Sometimes folks just don't want to make the journal experience a shared one. :)

Dan

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom

Anonymous said...

I think we all have lurkers - and are lurkers ourselves. They sometimes to come out of the shadows lol

Anonymous said...

I lurk quite a bit at times, just simply because I monitor so many different journals.  It becomes harder and harder to leave comments on each one.  I try not to do just the one liner when I do comment.  Its funny that you started out as a lurker before you even started your journal.  I started my journal, and then started to read others to try and drum up readers for mine.  Guess I just jumped in.

Greg