Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Dreamtime paintings by NC kids

                                    

Ever hear of Aboriginal artist Clifford Possum? I had not heard of him until a few months ago when I started looking for ideas for classroom art projects. Two of my art classes are working on projects related to the culture of Australia. They've made tag board boomerangs (which I forgot to photograph, but will try to remember to do that this week) that are for show and cannot fly like a proper boomerang, and they're working on paintings based on the style of the Aboriginal Dreamtime paintings.

It's never proper to try to copy an artist's style, or a culture's style, but I do believe it is permissable and even encouraged to take elements from that style and make something new with it. That's where Clifford Possum comes into this story.

Clifford Possum lived from 1933 until 2002 in Australia. He is among the most famous of Aboriginal artists, if not the most famous, for having started a painting style called Dreamtime painting.

He discovered the art form for himself one day in the 1970's when a teacher, Geoffrey Bardon, gave him some brushes and paints and told him (and some other men)  to put their stories on canvas. Prior to this historical moment, Aborigines drew/painted their stories on the ground, on bark, and on their bodies. About as permanent as painting in the sand at the beach. The way I understand it, once Clifford learned how to paint on canvas, he encouraged other Aboriginal artists to put their dreaming stories on canvas as well.

This sparking event took place in a "rundown settlement called Papunya Tula". 

Clifford soon became recognized in this style of painting which came tobe called the Papunya Tula School, also known as dot and circle painting because of the use of both in abundance throughout the sacred paintings. It took many years for dot and circle style of storytelling to become appreciated by the greater art community.

A dreaming story is a like a creation story, of a family or a tribe of people. Dreamtime stories are individual and personal, and it isn't acceptable for one person to tell another person's dreamtime story.

You can read more about Clifford Possum and other Aboriginal artists at this website called Making Tracks.

What I took from Clifford's circle and dot painting was the circles and dots, and other lines. The students were told to think about the animals they see in their own backyards (North Carolina backyards) and to draw them on brown paper (to simulate the former Aboriginal style of painting on bark) using oil pastel crayons. They had to incorporate the dots, circles, and lines, and any other design element they were familiar with, into their painting. After they had drawn enough to fill their paper, they had to pick one color and paint watercolor over the entire picture.

The one above is mine, the teacher's model. If you've been reading my journal over the past two years, you know we used ot have a koi pond, and turtles, frogs, and all sorts of wildlife were subjects for me to write about. The painting represents a portion of "my Dreamtime story."

But as you can see in the pictures that follow, the students did a far better job with their dreamtime stories than I did.

Now kick back and just enjoy the color and the shapes.  The students haven't written their stories to go with the painting... I wanted them to paint first, then write. 

                              

 

                                 

 

                                    

 

                                              

 

                                      

 

Yes, these are the work of children. In 3rd-5th grades. Special Education.

 

 

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really is amazing what the children can do. It never fails to leave me inspired. When I was in Australia we saw quite a few of the dreamtime paintings, they are facinating.  I do hope that now the Government in Aus. have appologised for all they have done to keep the Aboriginal people downtrodden. They will become more encouraged to be proud of their own lives and history.  Love Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

Even without the last line of qualifiers, I thought that these were very good, and stayed with the style of the inspiration piece.  Well done!

Greg

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))Very nice pics.

Anonymous said...

I love the paintings
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

They obviously took to the subject very well. These are good paintings.
I'm off to visit cliffords website now.
Thanks Bea.

B. x

Anonymous said...

These were even better than I expected -- and I expectedthem to be fantastic!  I think the last two are my favorite.

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think these are pretty special.  My son Raymond was with a woman who taught art in a whole school district, and she was so inventive.  I was just fascinated with her projects.  she painted many of her own and used to decorate fabulously on the holiday parties they had.  The kids used tolove to go to her house for Xmas when her collection of teddy bears were put all over the house!  And dinosaurs lit the Xmas tree! I do admire your very colorful photos which record what you are doing!  Gerry  

Anonymous said...

I'd seen this original style of painting before, it's very unique!  CATHY

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my journal, Bea. I love anything artistic (my private journal is "I Have Artism" , an incurable passion) :)  So I can see I will have you on alerts and try to catch up on some of your other entries. These are just absolutely (loss for words). I like to try to find pics or graphics to go with my entries and this is a really good project for these kids. They did a great job.......alice ps hurry back:)

Anonymous said...

What lovely paintings your students have done and how lucky they are to have you for a teacher.  I know I have said this before, but I truly do mean it Bea.  You are priceless and I am sure will be well remembered by your students long after they have gone in their lives!  I am sure you have made a positive impact on each one you have taught. God bless you!  You're one in a million!
Love,
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

These paintings are absolutely amazing Bea!  You have opened up the children's minds brilliantly.  They are, and you are, so talented.
Well done all round!

Jeanie xxx

Anonymous said...

Bea, "art" is sooooo much more than a three letter word when YOU get hold of it. Thanks!

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
http://journals.aol.com/daddyleer/CaregivinglyYours/

http://lairofcachalot.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I agree with Patrick! Wonderful paintings! You bring out the best in these kids. A awesome testament to the teacher behind them. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Hello again my friend. It has been a long time. I just stopped by to say hi and spend some time on your journal. This was a wonderful entry. I've always loved your journal.

I want to thank you for your support while I was visiting the dark side of our society. I wasn't able to communicate too much, but hopefully that will now change.

God Bless you, Bea. I hope all is well for you and yours.

RIVER

Anonymous said...

These are awesome!  You inspire these children so much.  I had to check the web site out.  I never get tired of learning.  Thanks for sharing.  Every student should have a teacher like you, Bea.  Chris

Anonymous said...

I just visited your terrific blog. These paintings are wonderful! It must be very rewarding to work with special education kids and connect with them using art. Amazing! Thanks for sharing this.

Robert
EnterBein

Anonymous said...

I recall reading about Clifford Possum and Dreamtime paintings a few years back. I had watched some program on Aboriginal culture and he was mentioned in it. I had totally forgotten about his wonderful art until your journal entry. One of the many things that I respect about you as a teacher is how you incorporate culture and history into your art classes. As I've stated before, I would love to be in your classes. You generate an environment that is stimulating artistically and intellectually.  The children did amazing work because they have an amazing teacher.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Dearest Bea,
those paintings are very beautiful!
Can you imagine how nice they would be if someone painted htme on clothes too?
thanks Bea!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

I love your little artists!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I am in awe of what you do
Marti

Anonymous said...

Gee Bea ! I'm flabberghasted! These are sooooo beautiful!
thanks so much!
love,nat