Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I Can Only Imagine

One of my favorite songs has been playing in my head all day. I had been listening to it on one of those wondrous little music pod players while working out at the gym earlier this evening. It looks like an iPod, and acts like one, but it's not as expensive ... it's called a ZEN V, and is so small, but holds boat loads of music. I had copied several of my favorite CDs onto it. Hooked up my earphones, and my workout on the Elliptical machine and bicycle was much more fun and productive.

It occurred to me that YouTube would probably have a video featuring that song. I was wrong... YouTube has probably a hundred of them. It was hard to choose just one to post in my journal tonight. I narrowed it down to two, though.

Even though both are the same song, you will enjoy each of them for their unique message and presentation.

This one is by Dick Hoyt. You might recognize him from Team Hoyt, a father-son marathon/triathlon team who have been racing for the past twenty-five years. If you click on this link , you can read all about this amazing duo.

When I read about them, I thought of Patrick and Patti, another amazing duo. Although Patrick hasn't entered any triathlon races that I'm aware of, he is all about educating the general public about the physically and cognitively challenged every day, and about integrating them into life with able-bodied people. You can watch (and be entertained) by a variety of videos Patrick has made at his YouTube video website, or find information and links to other blogs and resources regarding caregiving by checking out his Caregiving Website.

As I mentioned, I had found Team Hoyt while I was looking on YouTube for one of my favorite songs, "I Can Only Imagine," by Mercy Me. If you get a chance, and if you like this song, go to YouTube and type in the name of the song in their search bar, and you will get possibly a hundred different versions.

I selected two of my favorites from the many videos, the Hoyt Team one mentioned above, and the one below, by someone with a screen name of Meowmixeater. Disregard the name he chose! This young man is amazing to watch as he signs his way through the song with passion and feeling. I chose this one because I wanted Indigo to hear the words through the expressive hands and face of this young man.

Words to I Can Only Imagine, by Mercy Me

I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk by your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When your face is before me
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

Surrounded by your glory
What will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you Jesus,
Or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence,
Or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing Halelluja,
Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

I can only imagine when that day comes
And I find myself standing in the Son
I can only imagine when all I will do
Is forever, forever worship you
I can only imagine
I can only imagine

The song repeats itself, gaining in volume and passion, then tapers off at the end, softly and gently.

There was another signing version by a six year old, but I'm not putting it here. Here is the link to the little girl who signs the song while her mother films it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what joyous love!!! I cried like a baby.
I needed that uplifting spirit of love shown here...
Thanks for sharing this, Bea...
hugs, sher (wunzuponatime)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the videos Bea.  I havn't time at teh moment to watch them all but will do so later. When I worked with the deaf/deaf blind it was amazing how well they could join in the "singing" by sign.  I'm afraid I never did master sign well enough to take part !!  but my friend Pam and I have signed a couple of hymns at church just to show the other members that it can be done.  Love Sybil  xx

Anonymous said...

You started my day off in a good mode
ONe of many days I have visited with you and come away with a sense of peace.
Thank you my friend
Love
Marti

Anonymous said...

........really enjoyed your post.  Read back several others and felt much inspired. Hope you don't mind if I add you to my favorites..One day at a time.......annaleighia

Anonymous said...

As usual, your entry is so uplifting!  This is also one of my favorite songs. It has so much power in it!  Thanks - luv ya ~  Caroline  ~

Anonymous said...

I just get chillls, Bea!  Mercy Me and this song is one of my absolute favorites. I Mercy Me at the Alive Festival that I went to with Penny two years ago.  I don't know if you knew Penny here in JLand.  It will be a year in September since she passed from leukemia.  Anyway, I love all versions of the song.  Both videos were an inspiration.  Thanks for sharing!  Chris

Anonymous said...

Bea, THANK YOU! You are one of a kind!

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

Anonymous said...

It's me again Bea..Just had a look at the video's  They were lovely.  Ihadn't heard that hymn before...maybe an American one...But have been converted...So pleased that you wrote the words.  Love Sybil xx....

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful song dear friend. I loved that you included both versions of the videos. I was truly touched by the sign one. The young man's expressive attitude as it signed this song was truly wonderful. Thank you as always for thinking of me. It means alot to me. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

I have got to listen to these videos.  I like to listen to those that have especially impressed or meant something special to the journalist.  But haven't got time tonight.  Be back soon.  Gerry  http://journals.aol.com/gehi6/daughters-of-the-shadow-men/  

Anonymous said...

The young man signing did an awesome job!  
Lori

Anonymous said...

This has long been one of my favourite songs Bea.  It is very moving and powerful.  I have seen the first video that you linked to before and it, too, is very moving and inspiring!  As you know I have a developmentally handicapped daughter that I am very proud of.  I feel people with challenges like this are the most inspiring people we can look up to.  Oh, if we only experience half the joy that they do, life would be even more amazing than it already is!
Thanks for sharing with us.
Love,
Marie

http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed at music and music videos I track down on youtube.  What did we do before the internet?????

xx
Russ

Anonymous said...

How beautiful these videos are. I had heard the song on the radio and I thught it was lovely, but the videos added even more to the song. I saw the father and son team on Nightline several months ago and they were so inspiring. Thanks for posting both videos, they really moved me.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

This is my all time favortie song!  Everytime I hear it...sing it...it makes me cry.