Friday, July 4, 2008

What do Leopard slugs do late at night?

Two years ago I discovered some rather largish Leopard slugs crawling around the damp and leafy floor of the wooded path beyond our yard. I didn't know what they were until I came in and did a Search. Then I wrote an entry and added some pictures.

I was out a few weeks ago, walking along the same path, and lo, there they were again. Likely not the same characters I observed two years ago. But possibly offspring.

I saw four of them, the longest at least four inches, which isn't even as long as they can get when they stretch out. The one pictured below is surrounded by what I've always called Roly-polies (long o in both words), named for the characteristic way they roll into a ball when disturbed or threatened. Also known as pill bugs, they look like miniature armadillos.

Apparently slugs and pill bugs like to eat the same kinds of foods, mainly decaying vegetation. They like wet or damp areas. 

                     

Two years ago I didn't know how to add video, so I couldn't add the BBC video footage in my original entry!! Someone has put it on YouTube, so here is the YouTube version showing you a most fascinating mating ritual between slugs... very interesting, and unsluggishly beautiful. 

   

During the summer, when I walk outside through our wooded yard late at night, I look up into the trees hoping to see this magnificent event, but haven't had the privilege to witness it for myself. 

FYI... just in case you were to walk in your yard, unsuspecting one summer night, and come upon this unusual activity. 

 


Tags: , , ,

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not often you hear the words 'slug' and 'beautiful' in the same sentence. ;O)

B. x

Anonymous said...

Nobody believes me when I say that I really like slugs and think they are cool.  Glad somebody else noticed!  :)

Russ

Anonymous said...

WOW!  Absolutely fascinating!  Thanks so much for sharing with us!
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh Bea...you and your creepy crawlies !!   mention slugs to me and I'm off...Fortunately...we don't have these gorgeous looking creatures over here...at least I havn't seen  them  we have grey slimey slugs that eat ALL my newly planted plants...We try everything to get rid of them...humanely letting them drown in a saucer/mug of beer...what a waste !!    Have a lovely weekend.  Love  Sybil xx

Anonymous said...

That was facinating ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Yuk, Yuk, Yuk!
Happy 4th of July.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Yikes! You know, I love all kind of critters, even lots of bugs...but slugs really gross me out! The ones we have here I think are called banana slugs, and they only get to be maybe an inch or so long--that's big enough for me! I saw some whoppers in California a couple of years ago, probably 6 inches long. Ugh!

Have a great holiday!
Beth

Anonymous said...

We call pill bugs, wood lice in the uk.  I used to have giant african land snails and they entwine together, but their 'horns' next to their heads would in turn become a hole. i.e. One grew a horn and the other formed a hole to receive the horn, then the horn would disappear and become a hole and so on.  Afterwards you could not see where either had been.  Most fascinating, so was the 30 or so tiny white hard-shelled eggs that appeared a few weeks later.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

Facinating Video, Happy 4th :o)

Anonymous said...

What an ordeal to go through, eh? lol  I enjoyed watching this very much, so interesting!  From what I understand they are both male, and fertilize each other.  
Their "routing" was actually quite ballet like.  Loved the music.

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Bea,
Thank you for this walk back into my memory.  We don't have either in Colorado, at least that I have seen.  It's much too dry.  I do remember them from my life in Maryland.
Smiles,
David

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not Bea, I know a woman who eats slugs.   DB

Anonymous said...

wow.. interesting video.. thanks for sharing.. we call those pill bugs potato bugs here :)
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

I used to wonder why my chicken wouldn't eat the day-before's food in her dish until I came out one night to find about 100 slugs tucking in. I have to admit I can't kill them but I wish I still had my ducks who used to drown them in their water bowl to get rid of the stickiness and then eat them.

Good luck with your resolution

I would have said Happy 4th July but I'm English:) !

Mairie

http://journals.aol.co.uk/mairiegelling/word-in-the-hand/

Anonymous said...

I have seen those snails before plenty of times.  I had no idea about their aerial ballet mating ritual.  That fall from the tree looked harsh. lol

Thanks for all the pictures.  The video was so educational.  I appreciate that.

Nelishia

Anonymous said...

well what an interesting thing to learn on an insomniac night!
Marti

Anonymous said...

Fascinating, Bea - Think I will look up in to the trees whenever I take a walk in the forest from now on.
Rose~*

Anonymous said...

That was an amazing video!
Lori