Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Portraits of the CSI teacher and Cicada

It's great to be back in the classroom! I think many teachers feel like I do... they enjoyed their summer time with their families, they hated to see it end (who wouldn't?), but at the same time, when they walked back into their classrooms those two weeks (or sooner for many teachers) before the kids returned, they probably felt a mix of mild anxiety and contained excitement. The anxiety level probably increased in the days just before the students returned, but then the first day arrived, and we felt the thrill of being a 'new' Teacher (to the students) once more.

I can't speak for all the teachers... but I hear what they say, I see it in their eyes, I feel it in the vibes they give off with their walk, their posture, their gestures, the look in their eyes. Yes, they're glad to be back in their classrooms.

The first things kids will see when they walk into my classroom is the top of a bookshelf on which I've placed some interesting things. A feather collection, the rock, a balancing eagle, and a bug barn. All things they can look at and touch if they want to.

                                    

The Chinese writing on the rock says Tau (pronounced Dow, like in Dow Jones)... The Way. I love the word, the symbol of its meaning. I can't remember where I found the rock (several years ago), but at the time, I was experiencing a spiritual change... I had finally accepted the most important Truth, which I had known all my life, but had forsaken as a young adult. I had found The Way to a new life through Jesus Christ. I learned of the Chinese character, and painted it on the rock... I keep it with me at all times... either in the classroom or at my home... as a reminder of who I am.

The little wooden box is a Bug Barn. It's a great place to put larger insects for a few hours so kids can view them. Lately, it has housed three cicadas (on separate days), but they were all in their last hours of life and laying upside down by the time I found them.

Today I saw my first group of Kindergarteners for this school year. I had found an activity on the internet that was sure to be a great icebreaker for them as well as giving me some valuable assessment (through observation).

Read the 'letter' I typed up for the parents. I wish I could find the link to the website where I found the idea. But here's my version of it below, with a very detailed drawing of ... me! I was impressed by the student's work... she even drew me standing on the stool. I was holding a T-square. Awesome! (btw, CSI stands for creative subject integration)

                                            

I took pictures of three of the renditions (colored pencil, btw). I thought the kids were very observant. The picture above shows me wearing my beaded lanyard... there are two very large blue glass beads on it... I'm thinking that's what the child was illustrating. And she has put glasses on me!

I like how this girl shows me in red hair. You don't know it yet, but I had highlights put in my hair, and low lights... a touch of auburn. I'll try to get a photo of the new me. One of the kids noticed how the T-square looked like a sword. I think this little artist agreed with that image.  Again, she included the stool!!

                                                     

Finally, the child who drew the picture below has drawn my other hand, complete with five fingers, and a simplified T-square grows from my left elbow. I seem to have lost my legs, unless those two yellow appendages are them. Then I must be footless. Bless her heart! She has drawn my lanyard as well.  

This activity went really well. I think I'll do it with each of the other five kindergarten classes.

                                           

Finally, a parting shot of one of the littlest visitors to my classroom. 

                                   

 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see your entry, and hear that school is going well so far! Love the cicada...aren't they amazing? I love the whole life cycle.

Good luck this year, and I'll look forward to hearing about your lessons. I'd still like to join your class! :)

All my best,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being back in the Classroom and influencing our youngsters :o)

Anonymous said...

Love the drawings!   love the rock too with The Tao on it   Dr. Wayne W. Dyer put out 2 books with The Tao in it   each and every verse   they are some good readings for spirituality if  you'd like to check them out   the first book, "Change Your Thoughts-Change Your Life"   it includes each verse of The Tao plus a summary by Dr Dyer of its interpretation   the second book is "Living the Wisdom of the Tao"  which includes simply the verses and an affirmation to go along with each verse   i found them both helpful.....happy you're back in school   hugz~kbear
http://journals.aol.com/karebear4x4/kbearsheart

Anonymous said...

I just think you are a wonderful teacher Bea, and I know I say that all the time, but I just can't say it enough.  Our world needs many more teachers like you.  I always loved going back to school in the fall when I was a child and it's nice to see how exciting it is from a teacher's perspective!  I hope that this is the beginning of a wonderful year for you and your students!  XXOO
Marie
http://ayearatoakcottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Dear dear Bea...you are such a wonderful teacher....I just LOVED the drawings of you...are you beautiful or not  LOL   I always smile when I see the "neckless" drawings....How old do you think the bairns are when they put necks on their drawings ?   Our children go back to school next week but they didn't go on holiday till mid July.  They get a 6 weeks break I think.  The weather has been really awful for them Probably clear up afternext week !!   Love Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

It must be very rewarding to be a teacher. I loved the pictures that you posted.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I think being a teacher would be very rewarding especially with the younger children who are eager to learn.
Missie

Anonymous said...

I'm inspired to keep being a good grandma/teacher to my Katie through these types of activities.  She is doing so well in Pre-K.  We spent the end of spring and a lot of the summer playing on Starfall.  It is the exact site the teacher is introducing her class to.  She is reading well now because I taught phonics here at home and flash cards for words that have no reason for sounding the way they do.  She is reading in the last year/early first grade level.  Doing basic math and loving science as we did many projects this summer.  I'm so thankful for you, Bea as you keep me wanting to do this.  My excitement stays up.  If you have any more website suggestions, please post.

Those children are so lucky.  I loved their drawings.  The cicada's are still singing fervently here in GA.  


Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/
Private Journal

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are really excited to be back in the swing of things this year.  The room looks wonderful from what I can see, and I like your interactive items on the bookshelf.  I think that is a great idea.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I love your students' pictures.  I thought it was interesting that they all drew the lanyard - it shows how much children pay attention to detail.

Cicadas - oh my we have had so, so many this year.  Our trees are covered in shells.  Something new and strange I learned about them is that many cats and dogs find them extremely tasty!  We kept watching our cat sitting by the tree, and then the dog joined her.  For days, at the height of the cicadas coming out of the ground and onto the tree trunks, Callie and Brandy both devoured as many as they could.  I thought I had weird pets but I looked it up on the internet and found that it is quite common for dogs and cats to love cicadas!  It said as long as they didn't gorge themselves it would be fine.  :)

I guess it's true that we never stop learning!

Hugs
Gwynn

Anonymous said...

I love the first pic of you Bea. At first glance I thought you were on the gallows! And the little gremlin like face, excellent.

I'm glad you're back and enjoying your teaching - and learning.

B. x

Anonymous said...

Lovely drawings!  It's good that they have all drawn you with smiles too! I like reading about the activities that you do with them, they sometimes give me ideas for my grandchildren!  I look forward to reading about this term's lessons too.  Love, Pat   http://journals.aol.co.uk/pm71blackfen/ramblings-from-pat/

Anonymous said...

I like the color of your classroom. Those drawing were cute. Helen

Anonymous said...

I love those!  If I were one of the kindergartner's parents I would really enjoy getting that letter and seeing a "picture" of my child's teacher.  I'm glad the new has begun so well for you, and I hope it continues the say way.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Bea your collection sounds wonderful and I bet the kids will really enjoy it through out the school year.  I can still remember those first days and the butterflies in my stomach.  Seems like the kids summer is getting cut shorter and shorter here.  Kelly

Anonymous said...

I love the drawings of you by the students. Your classroom looks so inviting and exciting and I know that you and your students are on the verge of a great year!--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are off to a flying start!  ;o)  -  
barbara

Anonymous said...

    Love the artwork!
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay